Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-13-2017, 06:18 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Last year 2 implants which were about 6k each, the final crowns were another 1300.
However I feel lucky that I can afford good dental care AND that there is great technology in dentistry.
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2017, 06:23 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow, W2R, that's a lot of money in a short amount of time!

My parents paid for a lot of my (and my brother's) dental work. We both had soft teeth and had A LOT of fillings in both baby and permanent teeth, 12 baby teeth pulled (they wouldn't fall out on their own) four permanent teeth and my four wisdom teeth were impacted and cost them two nights in the hospital, and we both had braces.

I paid for a lot of additional fillings, at least four crowns and two or three root canals.

Since having my molars crowned about eight years ago I have only had to pay for cleanings and xrays. I floss at least twice a day and brush at least that much plus use mouth wash.

As others have said, teeth problems can lead to very serious health problems. I will pour as much money into my teeth as needed to stay healthy.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

I know this is in my future, since genetic periodontal issues surfaced in my 20s. Thanks to some major grafts and good home care, I've been able to avoid implants so far.

When the time comes, it's going to be challenging to figure out the best strategy. I can't imagine doing just one implant at a time, when surrounding teeth are likely to eventually go too.
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:54 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Got my two implants this morning. Bill was a shade over $4600. That was after a 10% senior's discount (had to ask for it - I'm not shy).

I assume the crowns will be around $3K total in about 3 months from now.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:17 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

i resemble all of your remarks and I can sympathize. I actually had a good year - one root canal and one crown. I think I paid $850 out of pocket.
Several years ago, I graduated to two implants and a partial. The cost was $8,000 and I spent three years agonizing weather to do this or just get dentures. I am very happy with the work and grateful to have bit the bullet.

I
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:42 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Got my two implants this morning. Bill was a shade over $4600. That was after a 10% senior's discount (had to ask for it - I'm not shy).

I assume the crowns will be around $3K total in about 3 months from now.
Glad everything went well, and that it is over now. Yes, I paid for crowns for my two implants in September, and the total for both was exactly $3,000.00 so that is a reasonable estimate. My two implants cost $4800 last March, so you got a better deal on that than I did.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:46 PM   #47

Might be cheaper for some of you to go full dentures, if cost was primary concern?
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:24 AM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
This is a thread for posts from those of us with crummy teeth, to complain about the resulting high bills from dentists and/or oral surgeons.

Those without crummy teeth can just grin like Cheshire Cats as they read the thread, and self congratulate on your superb oral hygiene and obvious superiority in keeping up with your teeth.

Those who are not yet retired, may find this useful in trying to predict their retirement spending.

ANYWAY.... here's what I paid over the last 5 years, including payments to my dentist (for root canals, cavities, crowns, xrays, cleaning), to my oral surgeon (for five implants), and for drugs they prescribed:

2017: $8,135
2016: $6,050
2015: $2,362
2014: $220
2013: $3,221

That adds up to $19,988 (almost $20K! ) over just five years. Good thing I have some wiggle room for unexpected expenses in my spending allotment. And no, I don't want to travel even a mile farther for my dentistry, much less to some banana republic, just to save a buck - - I like my dentist.

How about you? Anybody spend a lot on dental work in the past five years? Misery loves company so that's why I'm asking.
we are at over 40k the last 7 years or so . i needed the entire bottom implanted . then i rejected some years later and had to re do them last year .

now the last few years my wife has all kinds of issues .
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:26 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
Might be cheaper for some of you to go full dentures, if cost was primary concern?
full dentures on the top are livable . no problem .

depending on your jaw the bottom can suck! .

the motion of the tongue pops them loose all the time . i could not live like that at all so i ended up doing 6 implants and a full bridge that permanently goes over
Old 12-14-2017, 08:00 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
No way. I've known people with dentures- you can ALMOST always tell (I can think of one friend who has them and I didn't know till he told me). From what I've seen/read, the jawbone shrinks over time because it doesn't get the stimulation from chewing that it gets when you have teeth, so even well-fitting dentures will need to be replaced from time to time. In some of the sadder cases I've seen, one woman actually has slightly garbled speech (I'm guessing she needs new dentures and can't afford them) and another friend went through 2 tubes of Poli-Grip every week.

I also eat mass quantities of fresh fruits and vegetables, many of which require vigorous chewing. I'm not sure how they'd work around my current implants if I needed a full set of them but I'd make it a financial priority if needed. I'm blessed that I can even think about it, I know.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:06 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

i have had a full top for 7 years . it is do-able . nothing like the feeling and strength of implants but the top works fine with a full denture ..

the bottom is non negotiable for me . the denture gave me a quality of life that sucked . implants , as long as i don't reject them are transparent to life .
Old 12-14-2017, 09:45 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
No way. I've known people with dentures- you can ALMOST always tell (I can think of one friend who has them and I didn't know till he told me). From what I've seen/read, the jawbone shrinks over time because it doesn't get the stimulation from chewing that it gets when you have teeth, so even well-fitting dentures will need to be replaced from time to time. In some of the sadder cases I've seen, one woman actually has slightly garbled speech (I'm guessing she needs new dentures and can't afford them) and another friend went through 2 tubes of Poli-Grip every week.

I also eat mass quantities of fresh fruits and vegetables, many of which require vigorous chewing. I'm not sure how they'd work around my current implants if I needed a full set of them but I'd make it a financial priority if needed. I'm blessed that I can even think about it, I know.
+1
BIL is a dentist and he always recommends implant for folks who can afford them because of the bone loss.

You can tell most folks with full dentures from a distance. Of course I'm reminded of one guy in the mill, no teeth, no dentures. His wife used to cook pork chops for his dinner, remember the ones in the 70s that resembled beef jerky. 😁
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:01 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2013 View Post
I was a Navy brat, and I am convinced to this day that the Navy dentists experimented on my sister and I. We used to sit, every 6 months, for 45 minutes with trays filled to the brim with a god-awful cherry tasting fluoride treatment and a suction tube. My teeth are in really good shape for yours now, but I may have holes in my brain or something else from all of the fluoride!
OMG, this brought shivers to my body. I remember the mouth trays and that god-awful stuff. Every six months like clockwork, still ended up with a mouthful of fillings (now crowns/implants). Topical fluoride does not work as well as fluoridated water, I don't believe.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:30 AM   #54
Dryer sheet wannabe

Has anyone used a dental plan offered as an option to buy with a ACA plan? If so did they discount crowns, bridges, root canals etc. and have a OOP maximum?
zack59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:50 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack59 View Post
Has anyone used a dental plan offered as an option to buy with a ACA plan? If so did they discount crowns, bridges, root canals etc. and have a OOP maximum?
I have. No OOP max, but I get discounts on crowns, root canals, etc... My annual premium for 2017 was about $480. The insurance paid out the maximum benefit ($1,000) and I received about $2,500 in additional discounts. I was billed a total of $6,300 (2 root canals, 2 crowns, cavities, gum treatment) but paid only ~$2,800 out of pocket.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:01 AM   #56
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I have. No OOP max, but I get discounts on crowns, root canals, etc... My annual premium for 2017 was about $480. The insurance paid out the maximum benefit ($1,000) and I received about $2,500 in additional discounts. I was billed a total of $6,300 (2 root canals, 2 crowns, cavities, gum treatment) but paid only ~$2,800 out of pocket.
Would you be able to provide name of that company if offered under ACA?
Old 12-14-2017, 11:06 AM   #57

Quote:
Would you be able to provide name of that company if offered under ACA?
Delta Dental. I am not sure whether it is offered everywhere. I chose the most comprehensive plan available from healthcare.gov in my area.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:50 AM   #58
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Delta Dental. I am not sure whether it is offered everywhere. I chose the most comprehensive plan available from healthcare.gov in my area.
Was there a waiting period before major work was covered?
Old 12-14-2017, 12:32 PM   #59

Quote:
Was there a waiting period before major work was covered?
Not sure, as I have had no lapse in dental insurance coverage with Delta Dental for 10+years. My wife's employer was paying our premiums until she retired. But nowhere do I see a waiting period in the plan brochure (except for missing teeth).
Old 12-14-2017, 01:51 PM   #60

I've had a root canal and 5 crowns over the past several years, so probably close to $10K. At my last visit, the dentist noticed another tooth with a large filling (I have lots of those) starting to show signs of fracture. So, after putting it off for several years since it was suggested to me, I am 3 weeks into Invisalign braces to improve my bite and reduce the forces on these teeth. That's another $5K, but I figure if it prevents a few crowns, it will pay for itself. Not to mention, I don't want to end up 20 years from now with my teeth in a horrible state and needing to be pulled, which is what happened to my mother in her late 70s.

We did not have fluoridated H2O where I grew up, and our dentist was a family friend that I only found out was incompetent until I was in my 20s and most of my (many) fillings had to be drilled out and replaced due to decay under them.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote