Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-30-2016, 02:59 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Over the last 6 months I went from 22% body fat to 13% body fat by doing nothing but lifting heavy weights for about an hour 3 days a week. The best part is my weight is about the same so instead getting skinny and weak I am normal size and strong.

I'm thinking if you are doing a lot of cardio work like running make sure you eat a lot of calories to avoid muscle loss and injury.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2016, 03:23 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanctr88 View Post
I feel for the OP. I put on 25 pounds this winter in about two months and feel just awful. So I started trying to walk/jog with my daughter in the neighborhood and got terrible shin splints. No amount stretching, warm up or eating of bananas, tomato based foods, taking supplements seems to help.
My wife even bought a nice treadmill thinking that would be easier on me. Actually, the pain came much faster and worse on it.
Obviously, I haven't found the right stretches to do this type of exercise right now. Disgusted at what I've let happen in such a short time.
Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
That drastic of a weight gain implies something suddenly changed in your metabolism and a doctors visit to detect the cause is in order.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:06 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been several times now since the weight gain and nothing readily apparent in the blood work. At least the rise has stopped and I'm down about eight pounds from the highest point.

beanctr88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 05:18 PM   #44
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanctr88 View Post
Yes, I have pretty large calves and have always been pretty inflexible both upper and lower body. Will get back on the treadmill, but try a much slower pace for a few weeks to see if it helps.

I feel that folks with large calves can be more susceptible to shin splints. I have big calves myself and in the past have suffered from shin splints. Good running shoes with arch supports may help, as well as keeping a slower pace for a while until you get more conditioned.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:01 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

High-Intensity-Intervals and Muscle Pulls...

Ugh, sounds painful. I am going to stick with my low-intensity activities. I have read that the centenarians of Okinawa and Provence don't do any high-intensity stuff. They stay active and trim via more steady physical work. So, that's my plan.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:19 AM   #46
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
Over the last 6 months I went from 22% body fat to 13% body fat by doing nothing but lifting heavy weights for about an hour 3 days a week.
I guess you are blessed with great metabolism/genes. Doing that in 6 months time, without also including a dietary change, is quite miraculous. Usually it takes more than several months to start lifting what I would call heavy, let alone shedding that much body fat so quickly. Were you totally sedate before starting the heavy lifting routine?
Old 07-31-2016, 08:53 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

hot yoga, either bikram or some kind of vinyasa. just love it.
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:13 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I guess you are blessed with great metabolism/genes. Doing that in 6 months time, without also including a dietary change, is quite miraculous. Usually it takes more than several months to start lifting what I would call heavy, let alone shedding that much body fat so quickly. Were you totally sedate before starting the heavy lifting routine?

By doing nothing I meant any other exercises. I did change my diet. Replaced chips, cookies, coke, etc. with things like spinach, broccoli, and milk. I also seek out high protein foods like chicken breast, turkey, and salmon.

I have always been active (bike riding, tennis, etc) but has never focused on strength. I realized a lot of my support muscles were weak so I would get injured easily (back strains, etc).

My theory is cardio exercises mostly burn calories and do not really improve overall strength. When dieting there are not enough calories so the body burns both fat and muscle. So over time your muscles get weaker which leads to injury.

I could have lowered my body fat by getting to a real low overall weight but then I would have very weak muscles.

Instead I focused on strength training for the first time in my life. What happened was all of my core support and other muscles are getting bigger and stronger. At the same time fat is being burned. The net weight change was only about 5 pounds less but the body fat went from 22 to 13 percent.

I am currently 5' 10" 171 pounds. This is in the high BMI range but I feel like I am in the best shape ever and less susceptible to injury.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:08 PM   #49
gone traveling

Quote:
By doing nothing I meant any other exercises. I did change my diet. Replaced chips, cookies, coke, etc. with things like spinach, broccoli, and milk. I also seek out high protein foods like chicken breast, turkey, and salmon.

I have always been active (bike riding, tennis, etc) but has never focused on strength. I realized a lot of my support muscles were weak so I would get injured easily (back strains, etc).

My theory is cardio exercises mostly burn calories and do not really improve overall strength. When dieting there are not enough calories so the body burns both fat and muscle. So over time your muscles get weaker which leads to injury.

I could have lowered my body fat by getting to a real low overall weight but then I would have very weak muscles.

Instead I focused on strength training for the first time in my life. What happened was all of my core support and other muscles are getting bigger and stronger. At the same time fat is being burned. The net weight change was only about 5 pounds less but the body fat went from 22 to 13 percent.

I am currently 5' 10" 171 pounds. This is in the high BMI range but I feel like I am in the best shape ever and less susceptible to injury.
You've done great and I agree totally with the benefits of resistance training. I used to weigh 215, and when I was declared diabetic, I changed my diet and walked off 45 lbs over 3-4 month period and got down to 175 lbs. After that, I started in the gym for the first time in my life, as I had been a desk jockey and lived a very sedate lifestyle. The gym enabled me to build muscle and cut fat, but I actually saw my weight gradually increase to ~ 200 lbs as I was progressively lifting heavier. As I've gotten older, I had to cut back on those heavy compound lifts, but its still one of my favorite things to do.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:32 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Saw this just now. Hilarious. I can see T-Al in a similar video.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-31-2016, 07:04 PM   #51

Quote:

A researcher has reworked BMI data to revealed "normal" BMI by age class. See his website here Body mass index charts of Men
You did not share your age class but if 60-69 your height and weight puts you in the 27 percentile (73% in the 60-69 age band are heavier than you--pdg in my book. ;-)
The above website also includes a link for the ladies to see their BMI by age class.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:16 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

25th percentile for me. Interesting to know, as I have always thought that I was skinnier than most people, and expected to rank even better than that.

Also, it is clear that people lose weight when they get to the 50s and 60s. Apparently, they are motivated by the realization that they are mortal, or that some health issues cause them a wakeup call.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:13 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Nope. I am in the 15th percentile.

There's a link to a BMI calculator at the bottom of that Web page, which also ranks you according to your age. It should be more accurate than trying to read the chart and to interpolate. Perhaps I need to get my eyes checked.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:44 AM   #54
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

Also, it is clear that people lose weight when they get to the 50s and 60s. Apparently, they are motivated by the realization that they are mortal, or that some health issues cause them a wakeup call.
Could also be attributed to loss of muscle as people age, sarcopenia. This makes another good case for weight lifting.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:56 AM   #55
gone traveling

Last fall I suffered a bout of pancreatitis and spent 10 days in the hospital. I lost both muscle and fat that took my weight down to 175 lbs from around 200 lbs. I have stayed in the range of 175-178since then, which made my BMI look better, but its been difficult to regain the strength and muscle I formerly had, although it is slowly coming back. Not sure I would want to suffer an illness like that again for a better BMI.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:15 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Looking closer at the chart, I have to differ. Only the heaviest 25% of the population loses weight as they age. The lighter 50% maintains the same weight from age 50 on up.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:51 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Wow, what a lot of stuff to go over.

Yes, I do them on my bike, too, but I've been riding less, deciding the risk/reward ratio is too high. Any ride from my house includes this section of freeway:

My three main exercises all involve high-intensity work: wood splitting, running sprints, and Bowflex. It does feel like there's something magical about going all out. I feel especially good after a session, and especially tired the next day.

After a sixty-mile bike ride I usually felt more beat up than good.

The sand is usually even where I run. Something like this:

Oops, sorry, wrong photo. This:

There is something fun about trying to go as fast as you can.

Here's my heart rate during intervals:

Here it is during bowflex:

Old 08-01-2016, 11:52 AM   #58
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Looking closer at the chart, I have to differ. Only the heaviest 25% of the population loses weight as they age. The lighter 50% maintains the same weight from age 50 on up.

I am not sure whether you were responding to me, but losing weight is not the point, losing muscle is the concern as we age. You can lose muscle and replace it with fat and your weight may not change significantly. Loss of muscle and bone density are both conditions that should concern everyone as they age.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:13 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Wow, what a lot of stuff to go over...

The sand is usually even where I run. Something like this:

So you're blaming your groin pull on lack of proper warm-up?
Old 08-01-2016, 12:24 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I am not sure whether you were responding to me, but losing weight is not the point, losing muscle is the concern as we age. You can lose muscle and replace it with fat and your weight may not change significantly. Loss of muscle and bone density are both conditions that should concern everyone as they age.
Yet another reason I don't like BMI. Losing muscle mass as we age (a bad thing) lowers BMI (which is perceived as a good thing).
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote