High-Intensity-Intervals and Muscle Pulls

I can also sweat a lot down here in Texas. I can lose 2 lbs of sweat routinely, but it makes my heart rate go up due to the phenomenon of cardiac drift. I have to drink heavily before prolonged exercise and during exercise to keep my heart rate down.

As a former bike racer, I could not repetitively sprint all out for 40 seconds and recover 20 seconds for more than say a few minutes without a full HR recovery to 120 or so. I would be a marshmallow. Your workout would kill me, so I am impressed.

I could cycle and if I stay hydrated I could stay in the 140-155 HR range for a quite while. My max HR is around 170 and I am 59. Your max HR could be even higher.

^Unfortunately, that link uses 220-age as one's max heart rate which probably does not apply to the majority people. And worse, the link doesn't even hint that 220-age is an estimate with error bars of more than plus-or-minus 20 bpm.

^Unfortunately, that link uses 220-age as one's max heart rate which probably does not apply to the majority people. And worse, the link doesn't even hint that 220-age is an estimate with error bars of more than plus-or-minus 20 bpm.

I think its just a gauge or guideline, as it would be difficult to have a formula that precisely determines what someone's MHR would be. For most, I think its a reasonable starting point, and its pretty universally accepted, even from places such as the Mayo Clinic. If you have something better, can you share it?

I can also sweat a lot down here in Texas. I can lose 2 lbs of sweat routinely, but it makes my heart rate go up due to the phenomenon of cardiac drift. I have to drink heavily before prolonged exercise and during exercise to keep my heart rate down.

As a former bike racer, I could not repetitively sprint all out for 40 seconds and recover 20 seconds for more than say a few minutes without a full HR recovery to 120 or so. I would be a marshmallow. Your workout would kill me, so I am impressed.

I could cycle and if I stay hydrated I could stay in the 140-155 HR range for a quite while. My max HR is around 170 and I am 59. Your max HR could be even higher.

I don't think my 40sec sprints are "all out" If they were I couldn't do the 30 back to back I do. They are quite difficult though. I would guess maybe 220-230 watts. The recovers maybe 190-200 watts, but this is just a guess as the spinning bike doesn't have watts. Today I did a tough one and stayed in the 140-155 BPM range for about 25 minutes, high was 157 and average over 36 minutes was 145.

Yet another calculator.

For me max HR us anywhere between 159 and 170. But I routinely get up into the 170s rowing and don't feel particularly winded, warm maybe. I usually back off into the 160s, but I can sustain in the 160s no problem.

Yet another [-]calculator[/-] [observation].

For me [the suggested calculated] max HR us anywhere between 159 and 170. But I routinely get up into the 170s rowing and don't feel particularly winded, warm maybe. I usually back off into the 160s, but I can sustain in the 160s no problem.
Clearly, your max heart rate is in the 170s or even higher and the standard HR max calculators do not apply to you. To read about many others that the calculators do not work for, please read the responses at the bottom of this link:
Maximum Heart Rate | Running for Fitness

Relative to a stress test, can't the result depend on whether the individual conducting the test pushes you enough to reach a maximum heart rate or stops somewhere short?

Relative to a stress test, can't the result depend on whether the individual conducting the test pushes you enough to reach a maximum heart rate or stops somewhere short?
Yes, that is true. I said as much back in post #109:
You can search online for HR formulas, but the reality is that an exercise test is really needed to determine your max HR. And if you ever did a treadmill stress test for something else that might not have reached your max heart rate because the rule-of-thumb formula is good enough for the technician to stop the test early.

Some of the comments in the links I gave also relate that experience.

Yes, that is true. I said as much back in post #109:

Some of the comments in the links I gave also relate that experience.

Probably need to be tested by a sports oriented facility and technician if you are looking for max, as its unlikely they will push anyone hard enough in a cardiologist's office. I've had two stress test from different cardiologists and I recall one test being harder than the other. Given that, the general algorithms/calculators are probably reasonable for most people.

One could ask their cardiologist about the stress test and beforehand request that the cardiologist tell the technician to get one's max heart rate. This assumes no pathological problems that would stop the test before then.

Yes, a sports-oriented cardiologist would be more helpful I would think.

But if one is in shape and has a heart-rate monitor that they believe works well, then one should be able to get their own max heart rate during exercise. Several web sites have protocols for this.

My max matches what I got in a stress test, but neither was a stroll in the park. That is, I think one has to really really push oneself which is probably not possible for someone not in shape.

And yes, rules-of-thumb are fine for most people, but when someone says "Oh, max calculated heart rate is 160, but I can carry on a conversation while running without breathing hard and my HR is 170", then we know the rule-of-thumb is completely bogus for them.

Last edited:
Wow. I started this thread in 2006!

So, twelve years of weekly sprints (624) and I haven't had any more muscle strains.

Until today.

It was a minor strain on my fourth interval (again). It was on the inner thigh (a "groin pull"?), [-]the first time I've strained a muscle there.[/-] I guess it was the same as last time. So much for memory.

It was pretty minor. I've got ice on it now, and I'm hoping it will be gone tomorrow.

Wow. I started this thread in 2006! ....
Don't scare me like that! I could swear I recalled this post, and maybe even made a reply, and I know time flies as we age, but please don't tell me it was 2006 - 12 years ago!

07-28-2016, 12:03 PM #1
TromboneAl ---- High-Intensity-Intervals and Muscle Pulls

2016, not 2006! Whew! Oh, I stand by my advice! :)

-ERD50

Wow. I started this thread in 2006!

So, twelve years of weekly sprints (624) and I haven't had any more muscle strains.

Until today.

It was a minor strain on my fourth interval (again). It was on the inner thigh (a "groin pull"?), [-]the first time I've strained a muscle there.[/-] I guess it was the same as last time. So much for memory.

It was pretty minor. I've got ice on it now, and I'm hoping it will be gone tomorrow.

Tread water in the deep end for at least an hour. Much safer muscle strengthening and great heart workout. Do not use anything but your own body. Create different movement for core, leg, arm. It's a full body workout. You'll be exhausted. Keep shoulders above water level, that's harder to do, but works everything so much more. I do this 3/week.

Don't scare me like that! I could swear I recalled this post, and maybe even made a reply, and I know time flies as we age, but please don't tell me it was 2006 - 12 years ago!

07-28-2016, 12:03 PM #1
TromboneAl ---- High-Intensity-Intervals and Muscle Pulls

2016, not 2006! Whew! Oh, I stand by my advice! :)

-ERD50

Yes, there's something wrong with me related to elapsed time and to misreading text.

Yesterday I noticed a black and blue bruise on my inner thigh. I was scratching my head, saying, "I don't remember knocking myself there."

Then Lena said, "It's the groin pull."

I've never seen a bruise result from a muscle pull, but I guess there was bleeding in there.

I'll ask my doc if she thinks I should do sprints on the beach.

Yesterday I noticed a black and blue bruise on my inner thigh. I was scratching my head, saying, "I don't remember knocking myself there."

Then Lena said, "It's the groin pull."

I've never seen a bruise result from a muscle pull, but I guess there was bleeding in there.

I'll ask my doc if she thinks I should do sprints on the beach.

DH had a calf muscle pull a few years ago, and his doc was primarily concerned with blood clots. I guess that's an issue with muscle pulls, especially in the legs.

Back
Top Bottom