Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-01-2016, 12:25 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Especially relevant, check out this video, starting at 3:14

https://vimeo.com/51836895

Here's a readers' digest version:

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 12:39 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I am not sure whether you were responding to me, but losing weight is not the point, losing muscle is the concern as we age. You can lose muscle and replace it with fat and your weight may not change significantly. Loss of muscle and bone density are both conditions that should concern everyone as they age.
I got that point, and did not disagree with that. Perhaps we were talking about two different things.

I was pointing out that the statistics show that the people tipping the scale at the top 25% of the population are the ones losing weight the most as they age. I doubt that they are all muscle. Therefore if they lose weight, it is not muscle that they are shredding.

On the other hand, the people who are trim stay trim. Perhaps they keep the same weight, but slowly replacing muscle with fat, I don't know.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I got that point, and did not disagree with that. Perhaps we were talking about two different things.

I was pointing out that the statistics show that the people tipping the scale at the top 25% of the population are the ones losing weight the most as they age. I doubt that they are all muscle. Therefore if they lose weight, it is not muscle that they are shredding.

On the other hand, the people who are trim stay trim. Perhaps they keep the same weight, but slowly replacing muscle with fat, I don't know.
A lot of I doubts and maybe(s). There is some evidence on this topic, though how good it is or isn't I can't say. Fat people often have an surprising amount of muscle. I takes muscle to move a big fat body around in the environment.

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:18 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I remember when HIIT became popular 10-15 years ago. Of course the Marines added the word Super to the front. As in Super High Intensity Interval Training with the acronym being SHIIT. "Hey Gunny, were going to do some SHIIT!"

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:29 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Fat people often have an surprising amount of muscle. I takes muscle to move a big fat body around in the environment.
Surely, fat people have more muscle than skinny people. Else, they would not be able to move.

But what about the ratio of muscle to fat? And when fat people lose weight, if it is muscle that they lose and not fat, then they would have a much tougher time moving about, keeping the same fat with less muscle now. So, I would hope that it is fat that they lose.

I dunno. I have never been overweight, so only theorizing.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-03-2016, 08:01 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Here are my intervals on a bicycle, yesterday (the pulled muscle didn't complain at all):

I'm encouraged by the observation that after three years, my heart is still acting about the same.

-----------------

So, for those of you who suggest not doing intervals at my age, what about this?

I continue to do intervals, and if I get a muscle pull, I just stop doing them for a while. If I'm getting them every time I run, I quit.

Something I like about doing them on the sand and not on the road or on a bike: if I'm going all out and I fall down, I won't hurt myself. Hasn't happened yet ...
Old 08-04-2016, 06:10 AM   #67
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Something I like about doing them on the sand and not on the road or on a bike: if I'm going all out and I fall down, I won't hurt myself. Hasn't happened yet ...
Not to mention you are only a few feet away from a quick cool down.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:11 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Just to pile on...my cousin, who is a Certified Massage Therapist, told me that as we age - no matter how clean we live - our ligaments get like old rubber bands, which as you know, dry out, shrink, and even tear if you stretch them too far.

Thinking we can prevent this through diet, exercise, and stubbornness, is like a woman trying to prevent menopause by staying in shape.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
And I think your body is telling you that you are wrong! If you are getting strains, and have to stop, that just does not sound good

You need to adjust your routine to an aging body, the body is not going to adjust to your routine!

-ERD50
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:14 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Yes. I am the same weight I was at 35, and I exercise even more now than I did back then. But my body fat %age has risen inexorably from 18% to 24%. Body-fat charts show this as "lean" for my age group, whereas for a younger woman it would only be "average."

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I

On the other hand, the people who are trim stay trim. Perhaps they keep the same weight, but slowly replacing muscle with fat...
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:42 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Just to pile on...my cousin, who is a Certified Massage Therapist, told me that as we age - no matter how clean we live - our ligaments get like old rubber bands, which as you know, dry out, shrink, and even tear if you stretch them too far.

Thinking we can prevent this through diet, exercise, and stubbornness, is like a woman trying to prevent menopause by staying in shape.

Amethyst
That reminds me - many years ago, I was curious and asked my optometrist about these books that said you could exercise your eyes and eliminate/reduce the need for glasses.

He said much of our need for glasses comes from aging of the tissues that make up the eye. Thinking you could improve that with exercise is like thinking that you could remove wrinkles with exercise. OK, he might be biased, but it makes sense.

It's called aging. We change. Though it is good to keep limber, and make the most of what we have, there are limits. If a person is pushing themselves to the limits, they can expect those limits to reduce as they age.

A sedate person probably isn't getting anywhere near their limits. So I do think it is good to push towards a limit, and that limit can be extended with exercise, and improve overall mobility, reduce falls, etc. But the ultimate limits will degrade with age.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:24 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
He said much of our need for glasses comes from aging of the tissues that make up the eye. Thinking you could improve that with exercise is like thinking that you could remove wrinkles with exercise. OK, he might be biased, but it makes sense.
Maybe for presbyopia; however, myopia hits way before any significant aging. Many report improvement in myopia with 'plus' lenses or similar eye 'exercises'.
rgarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:05 AM   #72

Myopia will often go away as you age. I used tow ear thick glasses. If I had to join the Air Force today with the eyesight I had in 1975 I could not get in due to their higher vision requirements. The past 12 yes or so however, my distance vision has improved to where my glasses are at the absolute minimum level of prescription. One more increment of improvement and I will have medically normal vision. I am already legal to drive without glasses.

As far as Amethyst's general statements: So much of what people think about diet, exercise, more fiber, lower fat or whatever making us live longer or preventing teh consequences of aging is mostly delusional. Glue sniffing.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:59 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

What I perceive as the problem with high-intensity activities at an older age is that you do not really know how your cardiovascular system can hold up.

Over the years here on this forum, there were quite a few posters who dropped from a heart attack while playing tennis or doing something a bit more strenuous, and they were saved in the nick of time. I think they felt healthy and fit, until that happened.

Let The Sky Fall

This is the end
Hold your breath and count to ten
Feel the earth move and then
Hear my heart burst again

Old 08-04-2016, 05:21 PM   #74
gone traveling

Not knowing whether your CVS can handle high intensity is not exclusive to older age; problems like that can happen even to High School athletes.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:02 PM   #75

I like the HIIT method way way better than the steady state aerobic stuff of yore but the reality is NOBODY NEEDS to go "All out". You just need to get close then you're at the point of diminishing returns. 80%, 85%...? You will still get stronger and better because your performance will still advance. It will just take you about 3 or 4 more weeks to get to that point where an "all out" workout would have.

Exercise is not religion. While there it good information out there and protocols that work better than others there are no systems worth worshiping or believing in that much. You will always get to heaven no matter which one you use
Old 08-04-2016, 08:31 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

I am 75. One of my grandfathers was born during the war between the states. He was a farmer, who like many in his era worked his land with a team of big horses. He was almost 90 when he died. He fed his hogs, sat down on the cistern top, and died. He worked hard every day, but in the years that I knew him I never once saw him run, save occasionally waving his arms to head some cows back together. Ha

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-05-2016, 08:16 AM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
As far as Amethyst's general statements: So much of what people think about diet, exercise, more fiber, lower fat or whatever making us live longer or preventing teh consequences of aging is mostly delusional. Glue sniffing.
Conversely, proper diet and exercise reduces the incidence of cancer, cardio-vascular disease, and diabetes; which should increase lifespans. Also, most of the things people attribute to the consequences of aging are caused by bad lifestyle choices.

Make your choices and take your chances.
Mmmmm, this glue smells good!
Old 08-05-2016, 08:48 AM   #78

Quote:
Conversely, proper diet and exercise reduces the incidence of cancer, cardio-vascular disease, and diabetes; which should increase lifespans. Also, most of the things people attribute to the consequences of aging are caused by bad lifestyle choices.
Typical. Conflating worst choice outcomes with expected outcomes.
Do all those things still get cancer, die young, have heart attacks. You lost the argument.

Lower your risk? What's that mean? It is not calculable since you have no idea what YOUR risk is.

But, Sure. Whatever you say. I'm all for it
Old 08-05-2016, 09:40 AM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Razztazz,

I will ignore my sarcasm detector and say: if you are "all for" finding out how a proper diet affects you, try the Whole 30 program and report back.

Best wishes...

p.s. your estimation of the power of nutrition on health and well-being is vastly underestimated. I am not a fan of statistically-based arguments of risk, and did not use the term. You are arguing with yourself.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:30 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Proper diet, weight control, and staying fit does not guarantee that one does not get hit by cancer, or heart attack, or Alzheimer, etc... But being in a better physical shape allows a person to be able to handle treatments better, when the worse comes.

Treating a patient for any maladie or operation is going to be tougher if the patient is obese, diabetic, or has high blood pressure. It causes more complications. Just ask your doctor.