High-Intensity-Intervals and Muscle Pulls

I am 75. One of my grandfathers was born during the war between the states. He was a farmer, who like many in his era worked his land with a team of big horses. He was almost 90 when he died. He fed his hogs, sat down on the cistern top, and died. He worked hard every day, but in the years that I knew him I never once saw him run, save occasionally waving his arms to head some cows back together. Ha

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

As far as Amethyst's general statements: So much of what people think about diet, exercise, more fiber, lower fat or whatever making us live longer or preventing teh consequences of aging is mostly delusional. Glue sniffing.

Conversely, proper diet and exercise reduces the incidence of cancer, cardio-vascular disease, and diabetes; which should increase lifespans. Also, most of the things people attribute to the consequences of aging are caused by bad lifestyle choices.

Make your choices and take your chances.
Mmmmm, this glue smells good!

Conversely, proper diet and exercise reduces the incidence of cancer, cardio-vascular disease, and diabetes; which should increase lifespans. Also, most of the things people attribute to the consequences of aging are caused by bad lifestyle choices.

Typical. Conflating worst choice outcomes with expected outcomes.
Do all those things still get cancer, die young, have heart attacks. You lost the argument.

Lower your risk? What's that mean? It is not calculable since you have no idea what YOUR risk is.

But, Sure. Whatever you say. I'm all for it

Razztazz,

I will ignore my sarcasm detector and say: if you are "all for" finding out how a proper diet affects you, try the Whole 30 program and report back.

Best wishes...

p.s. your estimation of the power of nutrition on health and well-being is vastly underestimated. I am not a fan of statistically-based arguments of risk, and did not use the term. You are arguing with yourself.

Proper diet, weight control, and staying fit does not guarantee that one does not get hit by cancer, or heart attack, or Alzheimer, etc... But being in a better physical shape allows a person to be able to handle treatments better, when the worse comes.

Treating a patient for any maladie or operation is going to be tougher if the patient is obese, diabetic, or has high blood pressure. It causes more complications. Just ask your doctor.

Razztazz,

your estimation of the power of nutrition on health and well-being is vastly underestimated. I am not a fan of statistically-based arguments of risk, and did not use the term. You are arguing with yourself.

Agree, short of some genetic defects, seems to me that poor nutrition, lack of exercise and environmental factors are the leading cause of most health issues. Not sure how that could even be disputed.

Agree, short of some genetic defects, seems to me that poor nutrition, lack of exercise and environmental factors are the leading cause of most health issues. Not sure how that could even be disputed.

Knowledge. Have a nice day

I will ignore my sarcasm detector

I will do the same. When someone addresses something I have actually said instead of using the "robo-/rollodex" replies I will re-join-in.

Have a nice day :)

Senescence. Our bodies naturally break down with time. That's the universal "health issue," it will kill everyone who doesn't die of something else, and has nothing to do with "poor nutrition, lack of exercise, or environmental factors." Yes, there are some things we can do to slow (or accelerate) senescence, but it is a natural process and the reason that no one born more than 120 years ago is still alive no matter what they ate, how much they exercised, or what environment they lived in.

Last edited:
I used to sprint on the beach. Bad idea. Strained my calves too many times. Then I have to lay off for too much time.

Now I do paced miles. Haven't gotten injured yet. I'm 59 y/o.

Senescence. Our bodies naturally break down with time. That's the universal "health issue," it will kill everyone who doesn't die of something else, and has nothing to do with "poor nutrition, lack of exercise, or environmental factors." Yes, there are some things we can do to slow (or accelerate) senescence, but it is a natural process and the reason that no one born more than 120 years ago is still alive no matter what they ate, how much they exercised, or what environment they lived in.

Of course, but ignore those other things and you will most likely meet a quicker demise.

I like the tire analogy. You can have great tires on your car and have an accident. You can have bald tires and never have an accident. But you're more likely to have an accident if you have bald tires.

Of course, it's hard to know what "great tires" means when talking about diet and exercise.

I think it more or less means being at above-average fitness for your age level (as measured by somebody or other's gauge) and having the correct blood test results for your age level. You can have all those in place and still get horrible diseases, just like a car with good tires can still skid. But do you want to take the chance?

Of course, it's hard to know what "great tires" means when talking about diet and exercise.

I tried some interval training today at the end of a 10 mile run. I ran the first 9.5 miles at around 9:15 per mile, then went into 0.2 mile sprints getting up to 6:45. Then down to around 9:45 for 0.2 then up again - a total of 5 sprints. My heart rate only changed about 10 beats per minute over the course of each interval. I expected a bigger swing. Maybe I should walk between sprints for a longer period of time and then maybe sprint faster. Not sure how much good I'm getting from only a 10 bpm swing. T-Al was getting 40 bpm swing in his biking intervals according to his graph.

Attachments

• 08062016 running graph.png
    08062016 running graph.png
    161.4 KB · Views: 12
I may have figured it out. A few weeks ago, I tried running the same 10 mile course. Hot and humid. After 4.5 miles, I started walking 0.2, running 0.8 at 10 minute per mile pace. This produced a 40 ppm swing during the intervals, but with a high heart rate of only 140bpm.

So if I use the same interval of 0.2 walk, 0.8 run with a faster pace, I should be able to get heart rate over 150 and maximize the bpm swing over a longer workout.

Attachments

• 07182016 running graph.png
    07182016 running graph.png
    191.6 KB · Views: 6
Just pulling some numbers out of thin air, a 20sec 100-yd dash would be about a 5:52 mile pace.

Just pulling some numbers out of thin air, a 20sec 100-yd dash would be about a 5:52 mile pace.

It's been a while since I've run that fast. And if I could, I doubt I would run long enough at that pace to get much of a workout - unless I did it 100 times.

I tried some interval training today at the end of a 10 mile run. I ran the first 9.5 miles at around 9:15 per mile, then went into 0.2 mile sprints getting up to 6:45. Then down to around 9:45 for 0.2 then up again - a total of 5 sprints. My heart rate only changed about 10 beats per minute over the course of each interval. I expected a bigger swing. Maybe I should walk between sprints for a longer period of time and then maybe sprint faster. Not sure how much good I'm getting from only a 10 bpm swing. T-Al was getting 40 bpm swing in his biking intervals according to his graph.

Strong cardio! Aside from the heart rate change, you might be building more muscle through the HIIT workout.

It's been a while since I've run that fast. And if I could, I doubt I would run long enough at that pace to get much of a workout - unless I did it 100 times.

The video T-Al posted earlier in this thread suggested 20 sec. intervals. So you'd only run at that pace for 20 sec. at a time.

The video T-Al posted earlier in this thread suggested 20 sec. intervals. So you'd only run at that pace for 20 sec. at a time.

To expound on that, the 20 sec. Intervals are supposed to be as fast as you can muster. A 20 sec. - 100 yard dash would likely be close to full bore for us old farts.

To expound on that, the 20 sec. Intervals are supposed to be as fast as you can muster. A 20 sec. - 100 yard dash would likely be close to full bore for us old farts.

As you likely know: The hard-core adherents to the Tabata protocol (20 seconds all out, 10 seconds of recovery--do that 8 times) insist that if, at the end of 8 you think you could do one more cycle then you aren't working hard enough. It's designed to be anaerobic--to burn more O2 and create more lactic acid than your CV system can deliver/clear out of the working muscles as they are being used. This "overload" is thought to cause the positive changes seen in the cardiovascular system as it adapts to provide the higher capacity needed.

From WebMD:
Exercising at an intensity level below the lactate threshold produces very little lactic acid and the body quickly clears what is produced. A person can exercise below the lactate threshold for a long time, even for hours.
Once the intensity of exercise exceeds the lactate threshold, muscles begin to use glucose inefficiently, through alternative chemical reactions. Lactic acid is produced and can rapidly build up in the blood and muscles.
Lactic acidosis symptoms

When a person's exercise intensity crosses the lactate threshold the activity rapidly becomes much more difficult and unpleasant. Muscles ache and burn, the heart pounds and a person feels starved of air. The muscles performing the exercise become extremely fatigued. These symptoms increase if a person continues to exercise above the lactate threshold. In a brief time the person is physically unable to exercise any longer at that intensity.

Last edited:
As you likely know: The hard-core adherents to the Tabata protocol (20 seconds all out, 10 seconds of recovery--do that 8 times) insist that if, at the end of 8 you think you could do one more cycle then you aren't working hard enough. It's designed to be anaerobic--to burn more O2 and create more lactic acid than your CV system can deliver/clear out of the working muscles as they are being used. This "overload" is thought to cause the positive changes seen in the cardiovascular system as it adapts to provide the higher capacity needed.

From WebMD:

I need to watch the video again, but the premise was, iirc, that three minutes per week, i.e. three 20-sec "sprints", three times/wk, were more effective than, as Mark's Daily Apple would call it, "chronic cardio". Again, iirc, they showed a significant drop in fat in the blood, per actually drawing blood and running it through a centrifuge. Apparently, the extreme exertion caused the muscles to pull fat from the blood.

For me, I'd definitely need more than ten seconds recovery time after an all-out sprint...

Just for s&g, during my walk this morning, I sprinted every fourth lap for the first mile, though I only timed the first sprint. The indoor track at the rec center is 0.0737 miles, or 129.7 yards. My lap time was 27.05 sec, or 20.85 sec for 100 yds.

So 100 yds was a pretty good guesstimate for the 20 sec interval. I might have been able to go a bit faster, but not much...

The great part about Tabatas is you don't have to just run. You can tabata pushups, pullups, bike, squats, burpees, whatever. As long as you're going at maximum perceived effort for the 20s on, the benefit is there. Sure, running or swimming will get your HR up, but there have been times where I've been time- or space-limited where I've done Tabata burpee workouts. Sucks.

The great part about Tabatas is you don't have to just run. You can tabata pushups, pullups, bike, squats, burpees, whatever. As long as you're going at maximum perceived effort for the 20s on, the benefit is there. Sure, running or swimming will get your HR up, but there have been times where I've been time- or space-limited where I've done Tabata burpee workouts. Sucks.

Indeed. Though I don't track my pulse, on weightlifting days I get pretty gassed. I lift heavy, for me, and the old ticker gets a pretty good workout.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom