Join Early Retirement Today

Hiking Poles
Old 10-25-2018, 09:44 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hiking Poles

Hiking and golf are becoming my two main avenues for recreation and fitness.
I have not been able to do either for 8 weeks, having ruptured my achilles tendon in the right foot, 8 weeks ago.

I expect I'll soon be given the go-ahead to wear regular shoes (as opposed to the big boot) and to start walking. I am thinking I would be more comfortable and secure if I had some poles to assist me.

I am hoping someone in ER land might have some suggestions as to what to look for, brands etc?

Thanks,
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2018, 10:14 AM   #2

Sorry about your injury.

Leki makes good light weight trekking poles. Cork handle is comfortable. Black Diamond are good also. Best bet is to go to an REI and try some out for feel and comfort.
If you do any significant hiking you will quickly learn to love your trekking poles. At least I do.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:14 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Go to REI and talk to the folks there. Many to choose from.

I like that mine are telescoping so I can pack them into a suitcase when I travel by plane.
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:20 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean view View Post
Go to REI and talk to the folks there. Many to choose from.
I like that mine are telescoping so I can pack them into a suitcase when I travel by plane.
+1 - my REI poles are also telescoping - I have used them on several international trips and they have been a big help. Especially when climbing the uneven steps on the Great Wall .
Old 10-25-2018, 10:22 AM   #5
Administrator

I also got mine from REI some years ago and have been very pleased with them. Telescope feature is a must have
Old 10-25-2018, 10:23 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I love hiking poles and I don't care how dorky I look. They have saved me from stumbles a few times.

The funny thing is that I like my cheap Eddie Bauer branded versions with cork grip that I bought at Target better than the fancy European brand I got at REI. Funny. So, I have no advice on brand.

Of course, make sure the adjustments work well. Consider the type of grip you desire. I like cork, not everyone does.

Finally, my last advice is to learn to use the strap correctly. It isn't just there to hang on your hand if you pause. The wide straps can be used to help you develop a swinging motion with the poles that can work wonderfully. Learn proper strap usage.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
learn to use the strap correctly.
+1
This is a very important point. You get so much more out of using the poles if you let the strap do its job.

How to Choose and Use Trekking Poles and Hiking Staffs

Old 10-25-2018, 10:31 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

We have some cheap MTM poles that came with our snowshoes. They telescope and have cork handles work well for us. Having extra contact is not optional for me with my balance issues. Only advice I have is get extra tips.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:42 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Dw has Black Diamond with rubber tips from REI. Don't get the bamboo handles. They get slimy with sweat.

I prefer walking sticks.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 11.38.47 AM.png (1.64 MB, 28 views)
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:49 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

One of the big differences you'll see in cost is the weight. Carbon (light) vs. Aluminum. If money is no object, get the carbon. Otherwise, unless you are hiking long distances or for speed (some use poles in mountain trail running races), you probably don't need to spend the extra.

Either get the telescoping poles, or make certain you get the length right. Telescoping is nice to be able to loan your poles to someone not your size, for travel, and to be able to stash poles in a pack if alternating between rough terrain where you need the poles, and easy terrain where you don't. If you're just grabbing your poles on your way out the door for a walk, I don't know why you'd need telescoping. In fact pulling them out when using them is probably a pain, and you'd have to mark your setting to make sure you get it right.

Just saying, when people say you have to get carbon and/or telescoping, you need to understand why, and whether that really applies to you. Personally I would get both because of the way I'd use them (travel, racing with them, and stashing them for sections) but I'm not sure either is needed for you.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:54 AM   #11

DW uses them and after some trial and error, she's concluded that the following are important:
- handle (her's is cork)

- weight (as light as possible while still being able to support your weight)

- ease of length adjustment since you'll change the length while ascending, descending.
- a place/means to strap them securely on your pack when you don't need them.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:57 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Either get the telescoping poles, or make certain you get the length right. Telescoping is nice to be able to loan your poles to someone not your size, for travel, and to be able to stash poles in a pack if alternating between rough terrain where you need the poles, and easy terrain where you don't. If you're just grabbing your poles on your way out the door for a walk, I don't know why you'd need telescoping. In fact pulling them out when using them is probably a pain, and you'd have to mark your setting to make sure you get it right.
I made a label to mark my normal length so when using it, I can easily extend it.

Here's where telescoping can be useful in real use: steep, constant terrain. I found the telescoping helped a lot when hiking the grand canyon trails. You make them longer going down, and shorten them coming up. Helps a lot.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:59 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post

Snip...

- ease of length adjustment since you'll change the length while ascending, descending.
+1000

That's very important for us.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:44 AM   #14

Thanks for all of the tips. I didn't realize there were any REI stores around. Nearest one to me is about an hour and 15 minutes from my house, but only about 5 minutes from my orthopedic surgeon who is managing my achilles recovery.

Sounds like a visit is in order.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:06 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Costco typically has good ones for a very reasonable price ($20-25), but they only stock them in the spring as a seasonal item.
lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:26 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

We have Leki black diamond micro vario. Easy to put in the luggage, but can’t carry on, unfortunately.
HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:45 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
Thanks for all of the tips. I didn't realize there were any REI stores around. Nearest one to me is about an hour and 15 minutes from my house, but only about 5 minutes from my orthopedic surgeon who is managing my achilles recovery.

Sounds like a visit is in order.
After a trip to REI, you'll be posting to the "Blow that dough" thread.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:01 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

If you travel, consider the collapsed length of the poles. DW uses poles and we found none of the telescoping poles that will fit in a 22" carry-on bag. What she has is a pair of poles with interlocking tubes held in place by a shock cord running down the middle: Komperdell Carbon Approach Vario 4 We bought hers on a closeout for IIRC about $150. I see them now on Amazon for $410: https://www.amazon.com/Komperdell-Ca.../dp/B00AZL4GBS I am sure you can find some with this design for much less, though.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:14 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
If you travel, consider the collapsed length of the poles. DW uses poles and we found none of the telescoping poles that will fit in a 22" carry-on bag. What she has is a pair of poles with interlocking tubes held in place by a shock cord running down the middle: Komperdell Carbon Approach Vario 4 We bought hers on a closeout for IIRC about $150. I see them now on Amazon for $410: https://www.amazon.com/Komperdell-Ca.../dp/B00AZL4GBS I am sure you can find some with this design for much less, though.
Carry on: doesn't matter. It is a "NO" from TSA.

Source: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...s/hiking-poles

Quote:
Hiking Poles

Carry On Bags:
No

Checked Bags:
Yes

For more prohibited items, please go to the 'What Can I Bring?' page.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:44 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Carry on: doesn't matter. It is a "NO" from TSA. ...
Interesting. DW routinely carries her hiking poles on board, sometimes in her carryon but more often she uses one when boarding, then folds it and puts it in the overhead bin. Zero issues on multiple international trips. This year Vietnam, Myanmar, and Greece plus a domestic flight or two, for example. Other years, other places, again zero issues.

I routinely have a collapsed camera monopod in my carry-on bag. Same deal, zero issues, multiple international trips. That one is actually beefy enough that at full length it could be a weapon. The poles, no.

Possibly the cited prohibition refers to sticks that don't fold or collapse. I don't know but it is not real world for us. I don't think the OP needs to worry about this assuming folding or collapsing poles.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote