Join Early Retirement Today

Hoka Bondi Shoes for Arthritis
Old 12-01-2019, 02:58 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was having some foot pain on the outside of my foot when dancing or walking long distances. So I went to the podiatrist who examined me and did an x ray and diagnosed that I had some arthritis in the cuboid joint on the side of the foot. The doctor gave me some stretches to do and recommended some shoe inserts and also recommended Hoka shoes, Bondi model. I had never heard of this shoe, they sell it in the running shoe store.

The shoe looks weirdly ugly (has a very thick sole and comes in strange colors) and it is expensive, about $150. But it is VERY comfortable, like walking on a pillow. I have been wearing the shoes for a couple of weeks and my foot pain is gone. I researched the shoe, it was developed by some runners to increase springiness (Hoka means running on air or something similar). Now in addition to runners people with all sorts of arthritis are buying them.

DH has knee arthritis. I was bragging so much about my Hokas DH bought a pair and says it is helping his knees.

I just wish they were not so ugly. I wish they made a version that was more like a dress shoe.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2019, 03:15 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

"Clown shoes", we runners call them. A lot of ultra distance runners wear them. I tried, but at least at the time they were too narrow for me. I went with Altra, which has some models with similar cushioning, and a more foot-like shape, with good width in the front part like I need. It's possible they would work for you as well, and some of their models are more subdued, though I hate to recommend something that may not work when you have a fix for your foot problems.

They are more expensive, but generally have a longer life. It's recommended to replace most running shoes at 300-500 miles. Hokas can go 500-800 miles. How that translates to everyday wear, I don't know.

btw, the full company name is Hoke One One, and if you want to sound like an expert, pronounce it "Oh-nay Oh-nay". I'm not kidding. It's after a NZ Maori phrase "to fly", and I think they put "Time to Fly" on their shoe boxes.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:01 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I went with Altra...
+1 for Altra. I've been running, hiking and walking in them for years. My hips are happy. My knees are happy. Even my feet are happy...if I don't overdo it.

Cheers!
TheRunningMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:10 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love my Hokas. I got some after I heard the sports medicine doctors on Sirius XM (Doctor Radio) recommending them and I find them very comfortable. I got a pair for my sister who was having foot problems and she said they helped.

But I do search for more toned down colors and nothing too bright.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:54 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

DH and I bought a pair of Hoka’s this summer. We love them. We don’t run but enjoy our walks in them.
Bought our 2nd pair at a store going out of business for 50% off. It was a lucky find[emoji3]
whatnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:08 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW had knee issues and foot issues from running. She switched to Hokas and they seem to help as she is back running/jogging. She has the Biondi as well.
capjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:52 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm on my second pair of the Hoka Bondi. The first pair I wore all through Europe this Spring.

I agree that they are ugly, but they are really comfortable.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post

DH has knee arthritis. I was bragging so much about my Hokas DH bought a pair and says it is helping his knees.

I just wish they were not so ugly. I wish they made a version that was more like a dress shoe.
DW started to have knee pain this year. X ray shows her left knee is bone on bone at one small area, due to birth defect? If these ugly shoes help with knees, I will recommend to her and see if she will consider.

But, ugly or not is a very personal thing, right? From the pictures I see, other than the thick bottom, there is not much of a difference from regular tennis shoes to me.
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:20 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fh2000 View Post
DW started to have knee pain this year. X ray shows her left knee is bone on bone at one small area, due to birth defect? If these ugly shoes help with knees, I will recommend to her and see if she will consider.

But, ugly or not is a very personal thing, right? From the pictures I see, other than the thick bottom, there is not much of a difference from regular tennis shoes to me.
DH who is bone on bone on both knees says the Hoka Bondi shoes help his knees. ˙He also recently got a series of 3 Euflexxa shots in each knee and that helps him a lot too.

Regarding the ugliness of the Hoka Bondis I am getting more use to them but I get alot of questions about them. The colors on my first ones were strange (navy and a strange pink color) because that is all they had in my size but I have ordered a better color off eBay (barely used, much cheaper than new).

My problem now is dress shoes. I had to go to a dressy party the other night and could not hear my Hokas. I wore my most comfortable dress shoes (Clarks with a small heel) and the next day my foot hurt. So I need to find some dress that work with my foot problem. I wish Hoka made some basic dress shoes, I sent them a note about dress shoes but I have not heard back. They are probably not interested in dress shoes since they are actually a running shoe company.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:23 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
DH who is bone on bone on both knees says the Hoka Bondi shoes help his knees. ˙He also recently got a series of 3 Euflexxa shots in each knee and that helps him a lot too.

Regarding the ugliness of the Hoka Bondis I am getting more use to them but I get alot of questions about them. The colors on my first ones were strange (navy and a strange pink color) because that is all they had in my size but I have ordered a better color off eBay (barely used, much cheaper than new).

My problem now is dress shoes. I had to go to a dressy party the other night and could not hear my Hokas. I wore my most comfortable dress shoes (Clarks with a small heel) and the next day my foot hurt. So I need to find some dress that work with my foot problem. I wish Hoka made some basic dress shoes, I sent them a note about dress shoes but I have not heard back. They are probably not interested in dress shoes since they are actually a running shoe company.
Never mind. They're ok for old codgers, but not a women's dress shoe by any means.

Have you looked at the Bondi LTR? Still an ugly shoe, but it's mostly black. Available in wide also.

https://www.hokaoneone.com/mens-road...gid=mens-wides
LoftyNotions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 12:49 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

OP here, I have recently bought the Hoka Bondi black on black shoe (not the leather, it is too heavy). With a pair of black slacks the black on black looks OK for out to eat, church, etc. I admit at 68 I am an "old Codger" or maybe a "Codgerette". Anyway as I approach age 70 comfort is much more important to me than style.

My foot feels much better so I think the Hoka Bondis are helping. DH says they are also helping with his knee arthritis.
Old 12-21-2019, 01:59 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

My wife went to an orthopedic surgeon that specializes in feet for mid foot arthritis, and she was prescribed a pair of custom orthodics and Allegria shoes. We've noticed many RN's wearing them exclusively at work, and the orthopedic surgeon also wears them. That's the only brand of shoes my wife can wear without severe pain that keeps her from sleeping.

Our local Belks department store has a complete Allegria department.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 04:35 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I will try on some Allegrias next time I get to Belks. My podiatrist said that Hoka Bondis were the best for my foot issue (Cuboid joint arthritis on the side of my foot and supination). At my doctor and dentists office I noticed they wear the Hoka Bondi, both the Hokas and the Allegrias must be very good shoes.
Old 06-27-2022, 02:55 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I notice Hoka only has two stores. One is in NY the other near LA.

How did you find the mail order process for these shoes?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:59 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

You can find Hoka shoes at most specialty running shoe stores, some sporting good stores and REI.
DH and I both started wearing them about 3 years ago.
We both love them.
whatnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 03:10 PM   #16

Quote:

I bought them online both at Zappos and Hoka. Very comfortable well cushioned shoes. Both have easy returns, especially Zappos.
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 03:39 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

RunningWarehouse.com is the mail order site I use almost exclusively.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 03:40 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I bought my first pair from a local running store. Once I knew my size and the kind I needed (I need Hoka Bondi for my foot arthritis) I was able to order them online from the Hoka website. I have also been able to find some less expensive ones in my size on Ebay (store returns etc). I love my Hokas--the only downside is that I absolutely cannot wear any other shoe, all other shoes hurt my feet to much. It looks a little funny to go to a formal affair in my black Hokas but that is the way it is.
Old 06-27-2022, 04:06 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I bought my first pair from a local running store. Once I knew my size and the kind I needed (I need Hoka Bondi for my foot arthritis) I was able to order them online from the Hoka website. I have also been able to find some less expensive ones in my size on Ebay (store returns etc). I love my Hokas--the only downside is that I absolutely cannot wear any other shoe, all other shoes hurt my feet to much. It looks a little funny to go to a formal affair in my black Hokas but that is the way it is.
Thanks for the feedback.

Years ago I was recovering from having an infected toenail removed. Regular leather dress shoes were too painful. I wore a pair of black water shoes with black socks, along with a suit and tie. Nobody noticed. Not a one. Of course, my normal dress up shoes are not a pair of thin soled, narrow strapped, high heel shoes.
I have a rebate from REI that needs to be used. So, I will check out the Hoka shoes there

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:59 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I had a friend that was a sailboat captain in the Virgin Islands. He never wore shoes, did not own any shoes, and his feet were all splayed out and very tough. The owner of the sailboat was getting married and the sailboat captain felt obliged to go to the weeding. He rented a tuxedo but could not find any shoes he could wear. So he spray painted his feet black. He claimed no one at the wedding noticed.