Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-31-2020, 08:02 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

We bought a treadmill in early June and put a 4K TV on the wall right in front of it. Thanks to the magic of YouTube, I have been able to take a daily walk pretty much anywhere in the world. Lots of channels on YT of people just filming walks in exotic locations. So I get exercise and feel like I’ve “traveled”, too.
Zona is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2021, 01:25 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I just have a Concept 2 rower, a recumbent stationary bike, and some dumbbells (that I have had for years). I also have huge mirrors and a 60" TV in my home gym room. It's hooked up to a Wii so if I should ever be inspired to do so, I could do the Wii Fit or various fitness games that I have for the Wii.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 07:04 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I get most of my exercise from playing pickleball, cycling, walking/hiking, or kayaking. I do yoga regularly to (try to) keep flexible.

For nine months/year the only indoor equipment I need is a yoga mat. This year I put my bicycle on an indoor trainer so I can ride in the icy months and keep my saddle calluses strong. I much prefer riding outdoors but it’s not always safe.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:22 AM   #24

DS has seriously upgraded our home gym in the basement and has made maybe 20k in the process buying and selling various equipment. Sadly, included in his sales was my old Vectra 1450 unit which had to go to make way for more 'serious' equipment. I still have my old LifeFitness stepper and a good stationary bike. Trying to convince the youngin's what muscle they should be focusing on is largely a lost cause of course.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:29 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have elastic resistance bands, BowFlex adjustable dumbells, (large) workout balls, a Bosu (balance), a WaterRower and various small weights/devices. We had a Bowflex Ultimate and a treadmill, but we left those behind when we moved last year. The BowFlex just took up too much space, and body weight exercises and resistance bands are more than adequate IMO. And we can walk outdoors year round now, so no need for a treadmill, we only used it in winters up north. We've always worked out at home, which obviously came in handy in 2020. DW does tai chi once a week, no equipment required. She also does paddleboard yoga once a week Spring thru Fall.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:43 AM   #26

My home exercise equipment includes the following:

- A selection of 1.5" diameter galvanized threaded pipe, elbows and flanges to make a bar for pull-ups/chin-ups.
- An old hardware dining room chair for dips.
- The floor for pushups, situps, and squats.
- For additional resistance exercise I use a couple of steel wedges and a splitting maul to clean up hardwood, since I live on a wooded lot. An hour or two of swinging a maul can be tiring.
- During the winter I use yaktrax for my daily walks, since the roads and shoulders get slippery.

That's about it.
jimbee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:34 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I had perfect timing and a month or so before Covid I bought a bunch of rubber coated weight plates to replace the basic steel weights....not required but I wanted them. Then when Covid hit and the gyms closed I seized the opportunity to purge and sold the old steel weights, excess dumbbells, a dumbbell rack, a Weider cable machine, and other assorted gym equipment at a premium and netted around $2000. All the excess is gone and I now have exactly what I need to complete a full workout:

- a power cage with chin-up handles and safety bars
- an 7' Olympic bar with 400 pounds of rubber coated weights
- a trap bar for deadlifts
- a pair of Spinlock dumbbells with 200 pounds of assorted weights
- a weight belt with a chain for weighted chin-ups
- a treadmill

I'm still looking for some resistance bands to be used if we ever travel again.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:51 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

My fitness equipment is my body and movement.
Accessories are the floor and a rug for movents requiring horizontal body position. Typically alternated between 1 to 2 hours on different days.
Old 01-01-2021, 09:07 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Pre Covid I went to the gym mostly for strength training. I tried that at home and it wasn't ideal. So what I have at home:

Elliptical (This is a high end near professional grade model)
Treadmill (I am a walker not a runner)
Recumbent bike

I also sometimes do exercise videos from You Tube.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:22 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
...:

- a power cage with chin-up handles and safety bars
- an 7' Olympic bar with 400 pounds of rubber coated weights
Sounds like us, although we have a couple more bars and additional weight--all bought long ago to avoid having to join a gym. Bumper plates for deadlifts are also nice, especially if you are just using a concrete floor.

In addition, a rowing machine, versa climber, and stationary bike for use on the winter days when walking or running outside doesn't sound like much fun due to weather. (We have the bike and rowing in the theatre room, which is icing on the cake.)
Old 01-02-2021, 07:15 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Sounds like us, although we have a couple more bars and additional weight--all bought long ago to avoid having to join a gym. Bumper plates for deadlifts are also nice, especially if you are just using a concrete floor.
I workout in the basement on a concrete floor. There's a scrap of carpet under the power cage and I do deadlifts with a trap bar that rests on a couple fake rubber sidewalk blocks a couple inches thick.

I used to have 1/2" thick rubber mats under everything but I prefer to workout in bare feet and never liked the mats, plus I kept stubbing my toes on the edge.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:52 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Didn't expect this thread to get as many responses as it has. Seems like the folks here run the spectrum. I enjoyed the gym for the quality equipment, but I can see how spending the equivalent of an annual membership ($600) could build up a nice home gym after a few years (at least it could pre-pandemic).
G8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:46 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a Total Gym and Bodylastic Bands I use. I also bike/walk 3 times a week. My wife uses a Treadmill
Livefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:42 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I do pushups inbetween wooden milk crates, crunches, leg raises, and I run outdoors. I also do pull ups and dips at the park. I also run about three miles at the same park, except in the summer when it is like an oven here in Florida.
LXEX55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 03:11 PM   #35
gone traveling

I have a recumbent bike. I also have my legs, arms, and waist that I move in various directions for varying lengths of time. And do all while watching TV. Time passes fine.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 04:01 PM   #36

I have a spot in my bedroom where I do Zoom yoga classes and also some strength classes. I have the basic yoga equipment and one set of 5 lb dumbbells. It works for me so far, but I am really missing my in person classes the last few days.
Old 01-07-2021, 02:43 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
Following knee surgery in June, my outdoor running career ended. I purchased a Peloton (yup, I know), and use it almost daily. The nice thing with it is the app. Through the app I also have started yoga. There are many other options including strength training, meditation, etc.

I might be the least flexible person alive. As a runner, I did the bare minimum stretching necessary for me to continue running. Having started yoga, I’ve decided I really like it. Really feel a difference it’s making. But I could never take an in person yoga class. In home is the way to go for me. I’m certain every pose I do is not done exactly right. I lose my balance often. I grunt and squirm trying to get in a lot of poses. I even pass gas occasionally as they move me into various poses. Yeah, nobody would want on a mat adjacent to me in a class doing yoga. My favorite pose is shivasana. I’m a yoga master at that one.
You are my yoga soul mate.

Also own a Peloton and love it. Either SO and/or I use it daily.
caninelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:45 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have a loft upstairs that we had set up as a small home gym pre-COVID. It consist of a Peloton, a Concept 2 rower, some dumbbells, and a TV.

Like MuirWannabe I use the Peloton app to take other classes like Yoga.
caninelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 05:24 PM   #39
Dryer sheet aficionado

I recently finished my rowing machine made from a bicycle wheel and 2 x 4s, the seat rolls on garage door rollers. The are many DIY plans on You Tube.
ITTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:19 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITTN View Post
I recently finished my rowing machine made from a bicycle wheel and 2 x 4s, the seat rolls on garage door rollers. The are many DIY plans on You Tube.
Indeed. I've seen some creative DIY exercise equipment during the Great Dumbbell Shortage of 2020-2021
G8tr is offline   Reply With Quote