Join Early Retirement Today

Home treadmill?
Old 12-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Home treadmill?

Our 10yo treadmill is blowing a bearing, making it so loud I cant hear the tv at full volume 10' away. It seems to run ok, but the noise is unbearable.

I'm going splurge and buy a new one within the next few months. Any advice on a good home treadmill?
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I do not have a treadmill, but I have heard a lot of good things about the Sole F80. I even tried one at a local sporting goods store, and loved it. I will be interested to read the suggestions in this thread.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:40 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

We have one of their ellipticals, rather than a treadmill, and it's a good solid unit:

Treadmill | Treadmills for Home | Home Fitness Equipment - Treadmills | Precor

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:35 AM   #4

Very happy with our three year old Landice L7 Pro Sport. It's our second treadmill in the last 20 years, and although our first one (a Spirit) was good, this one is great. Both DW and I like it enough to actually use it when the weather is bad outside.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:15 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I do not have a treadmill, but I have heard a lot of good things about the Sole F80. I even tried one at a local sporting goods store, and loved it. I will be interested to read the suggestions in this thread.

Woot is have a sale on Sole treadmills, today only.
Sole Fitness Treadmills: Not The Sole Sole

Sole F63 is $649.99 (list $1,899.99)
Sole F83 is $999.99 (list $2,299.99)
Sole F85 is $1,099.99 (list $2,999.99)
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #6
gone traveling

These FreeMotion treadmills are pretty nice. I only used the commercial ones, but I imagine the home is pretty stout and has good features:

Treadmills at FreemotionFitness.com- Buy a Commercial Treadmill
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:27 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Since you already have one I'm sure you know this but get one with the largest motor (continuous duty) and sturdiest deck you can find. I still use an old Free Spirit one that we got from a Sears outlet. Ugly as sin, no "features" and built like a tank.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

We have a Life Fitness T3 treadmill and it's excellent. However, I remember from our research when we bought, Landice and Sole were top notch (mentioned above). We wanted a Landice but they were just more $ than we wanted to spend, though all indications are they're worth it. It might come down to what's the best deal available when you buy among several manufacturers.

Good ones are not cheap, but if you used one for 10 years and wore it out, it appears it would be a very good investment in your case. We're not exactly wearing ours out. Best of luck...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #9

a frugal question from the sailor: Have you considered replacing the bearing?
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #10

Have you considered checking Craig's List or a second-hand sporting goods shop (like Play It Again Sports).

Sadly, unlike yours, most treadmills don't wear out as they seem to end up being used for clothing storage:

omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #11

Our 5 year old Nordic Track (from Sears) gets a lot of use and still runs like new.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

Have had a Sole F85 for 5 years and am very happy with it.
tonyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:50 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks everyone - lots of great advice here. I've looked at the Sole and Nordic Tracks, and will concentrate my research on these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We have a Life Fitness T3 treadmill and it's excellent.
That's what we have now - it's great except for the noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
a frugal question from the sailor: Have you considered replacing the bearing?
DW got a quote of $900+ to fix it. So I looked online and found new motors for $380-$425. I'll look further into this - maybe I can just swap out the bearings.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:10 AM   #14

I am also interested to see the recommendations in this thread as we will be replacing ours in the not so distant future.

We have a NordicTrack that is about 10 years old that has had a lot of use. However, it has occasional fits where it will just stop during your workout. You have to reset it each time to start it back up. I will avoid NordicTrack on our next purchase.

On my next treadmill the number one requirement will be that the grab bars must move up with any increase in the incline. I am tall and when you are up to a 5-6 degree incline the stationary grab bars are extremely low. It is a safety issue to me, I like them to be at a comfortable height, regardless of incline, in case I lose my balance and need to grab onto them.

By the way.....and not to hijack the thread but I also hate to lubricate the tread. Very messy job and the recommended lube is way to expensive. Any recommendations on what you use?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
I also hate to lubricate the tread. Very messy job and the recommended lube is way to expensive. Any recommendations on what you use?
Silicone faucet grease (available at Home Depot or Lowes) costs less than five bucks and lasts me a couple of years.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Silicone faucet grease (available at Home Depot or Lowes) costs less than five bucks and lasts me a couple of years.
Thanks braumeister I will to get some of that silicon faucet grease. When you read about lubricating the tread on the internet you get a lot of people saying you have to use a certain (expensive) product or the belt will disintegrate. I find that a bit hard to believe and I am tired of paying $10 for a very small tube of the recommended lube.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #17

Here's what to look for (from the HD website):
Old 12-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
We have a NordicTrack that is about 10 years old that has had a lot of use. However, it has occasional fits where it will just stop during your workout. You have to reset it each time to start it back up. I will avoid NordicTrack on our next purchase.
For what its worth, ICON Fitness makes the NordicTrack, ProForm, Weider, Reebok and Gold’s Gym consumer grade machines. We had a ProForm treadmill that regularly burned up its motor controller board.

Currently we have a Life Fitness X3 elliptical machine (with the bare bones basic console. No TV, iPod connection, or beer tap.). After seven years of daily use, it has had no problems, and is still almost silent in use.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I had this manual treadmill which was a total bust.

So, now percolating in my mind is thoughts of a motorized treadmill.

For folks that use a treadmill, how necessary is one with an incline? Does your treadmill have one? Or for you is an incline just a nice to have?

I'm thinking more for just walking and not running.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I think the incline is very useful when walking. Helps me get heart rate up without breaking into a jog, which my hip no longer likes.
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote