Hospitals out of room!

The ER is required to treat those who show up, even those with no insurance. So the uninsured and illegal aliens (who are not ACA eligible) flock there for care.

Your post reminded me that technically every health care plan is an ACA plan, as every plan falls under the law. I'm thinking that when people use 'obamacare' they mean exchange plans.

In Colorado next year we have a ballot issue for single payer for the State. But I don't see how that is going to fix the problems with the doctor networks.
I think you'll find most employer plans fall under the law too. Even grandfathered plans fall under it as it has provisions for accepting them. Exchange plans to fall under the law. Off exchange individual plans are covered under the law. I think you'll find most employer plans are compliant to the ACA law.

I think the difference is pretty much the difference that existed before, large employer plans have a well defined risk pool while individual plans don't as everyone is not complying with the law and signing up.

Also, some people are gaming the system by signing up for plans when they need care by claiming non-existent special enrollments (United Health Care news recently) and then cancelling them after getting care.

I don't know what to think of a single payer plan in the US. I had no issues when I lived in the UK with their single payer system.

Your original post (and some of the posts following yours, particularly Bingybear's and Irishgal's) got me thinking, so I called some people today and learned that, in Connecticut, the network for the Anthem plan provided through the ACA health exchange may indeed be narrower than the network for Anthem employer group health plans, primarily due to the fact that reimbursement rates to doctors are lower for the former. The people with whom I spoke said it was like that in some other states too. I did not know that, so I thank you for bringing it to my attention.

I still don't know if the network expands or contracts depending on whether the plan is gold or silver or bronze. Perhaps I'll follow up with my contacts again tomorrow and see if they know.
I agree with employer plans often (hard to say always) have broader networks. Mine does. What I have found in the few cases I checked was that individual on exchange and off exchange (direct through insurer) seemed to have the same network. For my present insurer and state, the individual plans on and off exchange seem to be the same.

Your original post (and some of the posts following yours, particularly Bingybear's and Irishgal's) got me thinking, so I called some people today and learned that, in Connecticut, the network for the Anthem plan provided through the ACA health exchange may indeed be narrower than the network for Anthem employer group health plans, primarily due to the fact that reimbursement rates to doctors are lower for the former. The people with whom I spoke said it was like that in some other states too. I did not know that, so I thank you for bringing it to my attention.

I still don't know if the network expands or contracts depending on whether the plan is gold or silver or bronze. Perhaps I'll follow up with my contacts again tomorrow and see if they know.
My guess is that the only people that could accurately describe the differences among Anthem's networks in Ct would be Anthem employees. A quick check shows 19 networks for individuals and 34 for employer groups.

Networks for employer groups are designed the same way as for individual policies. Some are large and broad (and pricier), others are small and restricted (and less unaffordable). Mega corp and large public sector employers tend to offer the insurer's biggest networks as a benefit, such as BCBS Bluecard. Smaller companies are not so generous, and even larger employers are now offering policies with restricted networks as a way to reduce or contain benefit costs (as my daughters have found out :( )

There is no easy way to analyze or compare insurer networks, they do not share this information, so misunderstanding among consumers is common. The administrative cost of managing so many different provider networks is probably one reason why private insurers have so much more overhead than Medicare.

Across the country there are many individual plans that share the same nationwide insurer networks as the large group policies (such as BCBS Bluecard), so the report that some healthcare providers "do not take ACA policies" is impossible to prove, but most likely not factual. It would be more realistic to say

- The only providers that "don't take any ACA" policies probably don't take any insurance at all.
- Most providers accept some private insurance. They do not care if it is group or individual, the only thing that matters is the network, which determines how they are reimbursed.
- Most providers probably don't take most of the new policies. That is because they are so restrictive. This is not the doctors and providers choosing not to participate, the insurers are excluding them as they all compete for a bigger share of the healthcare spending.
- the ACA standardized how insurance must be offered and what a policy must cover. Insurers can no longer limit coverage as a way to artificially lower premiums, so they now design networks to achieve their cost objectives.
- Healthcare is very expensive, unaffordable for the average family. Insurers offer policies with restricted networks so they can have a lower premium.
- this whole debate is about individual policies because they are the only ones that are subject to public scrutiny. It's happening with employer group policies, just not visible to us or the media, so not subject to the same intense public debate.

Last edited:
My guess is that the only people that could accurately describe the differences among Anthem's networks in Ct would be Anthem employees. A quick check shows 19 networks for individuals and 34 for employer groups.

Networks for employer groups are designed the same way as for individual policies. Some are large and broad (and pricier), others are small and restricted (and less unaffordable). Mega corp and large public sector employers tend to offer the insurer's biggest networks as a benefit, such as BCBS Bluecard. Smaller companies are not so generous, and even larger employers are now offering policies with restricted networks as a way to reduce or contain benefit costs (as my daughters have found out :( )

There is no easy way to analyze or compare insurer networks, they do not share this information, so misunderstanding among consumers is common. The administrative cost of managing so many different provider networks is probably one reason why private insurers have so much more overhead than Medicare.

Across the country there are many individual plans that share the same nationwide insurer networks as the large group policies (such as BCBS Bluecard), so the report that some healthcare providers "do not take ACA policies" is impossible to prove, but most likely not factual. It would be more realistic to say

- The only providers that "don't take any ACA" policies probably don't take any insurance at all.
- Most providers accept some private insurance. They do not care if it is group or individual, the only thing that matters is the network, which determines how they are reimbursed.
- Most providers probably don't take most of the new policies. That is because they are so restrictive. This is not the doctors and providers choosing not to participate, the insurers are excluding them as they all compete for a bigger share of the healthcare spending.
- the ACA standardized how insurance must be offered and what a policy must cover. Insurers can no longer limit coverage as a way to artificially lower premiums, so they now design networks to achieve their cost objectives.
- Healthcare is very expensive, unaffordable for the average family. Insurers offer policies with restricted networks so they can have a lower premium.
- this whole debate is about individual policies because they are the only ones that are subject to public scrutiny. It's happening with employer group policies, just not visible to us or the media, so not subject to the same intense public debate.
+1
I did look up Anthem in my state. Two networks for direct individual plans that are not the same as on the exchange, but all the exchange networks were also there for direct purchases plans.
We likely need something more disruptive to get healthcare more affordable and with better outcomes.

I'm lost. You replied to Gumby with the above where he admitted that ObamaCare was a colloquial name for the ACA (Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA)) which is commonly called the ACA. There may some people who extend that to mean an exchange purchased health insurance plan.
Later this year I will have to either go back to work or buy an individual plan as my COBRA will run out. I've looked at the exchange for my present insurers plans and also look at what they sell directly to individuals... guess what, they are the same plans! Thru the exchange you may get a subsidy, direct you won't. They have the same networks from what I could tell (both greatly reduced from my COBRA plan)). I also did not see any additional plans on their site for individuals. But this is a sample of one insurer in one state.
I agree that the narrowing of networks on insurance policies (on or off exchange and especially for individuals) has caused many problems. I'll have to see how these plans work for me when I fall off COBRA.
BTW... both my Cardiologist and PCP is in network for the exchange or direct plan I have been looking at.
I'm just not sure which insurance plans you are referring to when you use ObamaCare or ACA. On exchange? Any individual plan? Any plan (including employer plans) the meet the ACA's (the law's ) requirements? ,,, or what?

But I can sympathize with the frustrations with health insurance in general. I think we have a long way to go for it to be affordable.

Maybe some clarity will help. After reviewing all plans, talking to my doctors, and what hospitals they service I chose Cigna Access Plus HSA Bronze 6000 plan that was closest to my plan in 2015. The cost was increased by 1,500.00 in Phoenix AZ. I contacted my doctors and asked them directly what insurance plan works best at their office. I was told if you chose an ACA/ObamaCare plan will not accept you as a patient any longer. I could have gotten an ACA plan, but the price was not much different but it included only HMO plans to doctors that no one I know had heard of and most name were extremely foreign. I chose to pay more for confirmed coverage with the doctors and hospitals I know. If I have a heart attack I did not want to have the lower care afforded by the ACA.

My Friend Can't Afford Healthcare, this is what he is doing.

My friend told me he has had it with everything. He and his wife have decided to sell his business (small repair business) pull all his money from his bank and put it in a safe at home. He is 61 and going to apply for medicaid, food stamps, and anyother state/federal program. Wait until he can draw SS, and live frugally.
This is the state lower income middle American has gotten to, it is a shame. He has a neighbor who brought his mother over from China and within months she is now on SS earning as much as he will when he can draw.

Maybe this is urban myth, but I read somewhere that the first 3 letters of your insurance ID can (sometimes?) allow the provider to tell whether you are on an Obamacare policy or not.

Hee hee. This is gonna be good.

The brother in law had a stroke two years ago in Feb., then cancer was discovered in his thyroid in May, then in August they discovered cancer in on his colon. In January the time I was referring to in my original post he was taken to the hospital for a seizure at which time there were people in the corridors in beds and the ER was packed. My brother in law was 59 at the time of his original stroke and will be 61 in Feb. His employer insurance had a 7,000.00 ded. but is now running out as of Feb. 2016 he will go on cobra until May of 2016 at which time he will be able to go on Medicare as he is fully disabled. He has had a hell of a time and lucky he is still with us. The first ER room did little and let the vein in his neck burst. His family is now sueing the hospital for their lack of service and who conveniently loss the important scans now that they are getting sued.
It is a mess but he has extensive damage that should not have occurred if the clot buster drug was administered timely. He was in the emergency room for 6 hours before the vein burst.

Last edited:
Maybe some clarity will help. After reviewing all plans, talking to my doctors, and what hospitals they service I chose Cigna Access Plus HSA Bronze 6000 plan that was closest to my plan in 2015. The cost was increased by 1,500.00 in Phoenix AZ. I contacted my doctors and asked them directly what insurance plan works best at their office. I was told if you chose an ACA/ObamaCare plan will not accept you as a patient any longer. I could have gotten an ACA plan, but the price was not much different but it included only HMO plans to doctors that no one I know had heard of and most name were extremely foreign. I chose to pay more for confirmed coverage with the doctors and hospitals I know. If I have a heart attack I did not want to have the lower care afforded by the ACA.
Reviewing the summary of benefits and coverage (here), the Cigna Access Plus HSA Bronze 6000 is an "ACA Plan" for individuals in Arizona. Looks like you snuck this one past your doctors. :)

Same network does not equal same reimbursement. And just because a medical practitioner or group is "in network" does not mean they will accept you as a new patient.

He has a neighbor who brought his mother over from China and within months she is now on SS earning as much as he will when he can draw.

That is not the way SS works. You pay into the system for at least 40 quarters (10 years) and you can collect. 39 quarters and you can't collect.... If she was here before, and paid into the system via payroll taxes, and did so for 40 quarters/10 years- then her collecting is legit. If her husband paid into the system for 10 years she could collect spousal. But if she recently arrived and doesn't have a US work history she can't. Something is fishy about this story. Your friend maybe misunderstood.

My friend told me he has had it with everything. He and his wife have decided to sell his business (small repair business) pull all his money from his bank and put it in a safe at home. He is 61 and going to apply for medicaid, food stamps, and anyother state/federal program. Wait until he can draw SS, and live frugally.

This is the state lower income middle American has gotten to, it is a shame. He has a neighbor who brought his mother over from China and within months she is now on SS earning as much as he will when he can draw.

The Mom from China might be drawing SSI, but it's unlikely she's drawing SS or SSDI, as she would not have the required work history.

From direct observation, living "on the dole" isn't all it's cracked up to be...

Maybe this is urban myth, but I read somewhere that the first 3 letters of your insurance ID can (sometimes?) allow the provider to tell whether you are on an Obamacare policy or not.

I really don't know about the 3 letter and I'm not sure how your are defining "Obamacare", but I'd bet it is real easy to know the network that your insurance covers. I'm not sure if they could tell if you bought the plan on or off exchange. I've checked 2 major insurers now in my state and both offer the same plans on and off exchange for individual with the same network. One of them also offers other plans for individuals (direct) that have different networks from the exchange.

I think I understand what you are telling me, with the exception of how you define a ACA/Obamacare plan. If you mean "on exchange", then I think that you are missing the real point. I checked two major insurers in my state. Both offer the same plans that are on the exchange for direct purchase by individuals. One of them offers additional individual plans for direct purchase that have larger networks. If you were to buy a plan direct that is also on the exchange, you would still have your network problem. So, if ACA means on exchange, this invalidates what you claim since the same thing happens on or off exchange. If you buy a direct plan that has a larger network, your doctors may ... or may not be on that network depending upon your doctor's choice of accepting it.
Now if ACA means complying with the ACA law... I throw out that the plan you purchase likely complies with the law.
I don't think what you are seeing is that much more than what happened in the 1990's when my employer changed insurance carriers and we had to shift doctors or be out of network. It's been well publicized that you should check if you doctors participate in your insurance plan every year and when you change plans.
I think your doctors just know they don't take what is on the exchange. I would expect there are many other insurance plans they don't accept either.
But I'm pretty confident they would not take the exchange plans purchased directly from the insurer.
While $ may provide better care, it is not always true. I had a "high end" medical provider perform substandard work. I've switched to a more moderate end provider that is working out great. I use my reference for better and worse being feedback from a professor who not only practices the field, but teaches at the university. But I agree it is important to stay with providers your trust.

This doesn't make sense. It's an insurance company that pays, not ACA.

Like I said, typical political rant against Obama regardless of the 'care'. OP doesn't understand who pays.

Last edited:

ALL new private plans are ACA plans now, so I guess you'll be paying a lot more until you understand what networks you have and how insurance covers them. Do some research on the exchange with the providers available to you, there's ways to search for providers and drugs that are covered. Yes, HMOs do tend to suck but they are *usually* not the only option available.

This website is a good place to start:
http://www.healthsherpa.com

What your doctor's office said is 100% wrong btw unless they don't take private insurance. Your plan is an ACA plan and is probably the exact same one you could've gotten on the exchange.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom