Join Early Retirement Today

Hot Flushes
Old 03-29-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hot Flushes

Ok ladies, please tell me I am not the only one suffering in this department. I have figured it is due to the dreaded flushes that my sleep is so disturbed.

So has anyone found something to successfully manage their flushes. I have not wanted to do any HRT however figure if something doesn't turn around soon that I may have to ask for some estrogen patches or something.

Has anyone tried acupuncture?

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not yet! I turned 50 last October, so I don't think it's going to be that much longer for me, but one never knows. I'm very curious about what to expect.

If the flushes are really bad, I may consider HRT. A friend was using bio-identical hormones and said it really helped her. She seemed to think it as a big deal that they were bio-identical. Now that my fibroids have been treated, HRT is an option for me.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:36 AM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

I started menopause in my 40's and the hot flashes, not sleeping and the mood swings sent me running to the Doctor for the estrogen patch . I took the smallest dose . You also have to take provera with it so your uterine lining does not build up and cause Cancer . Unfortunately the provera can make you extremely cranky ( Think PMS in a pill ) . That is why a lot of people go to those bio -identical hormones . It did help ease me into menopause . I stopped HRT several years ago because I had been on it long enough . My hot flashes did return briefly but more mild and now I am hot flash free and pretty even tempered .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:03 PM   #4

I started perimenopause in my mid 40s and now I'm 59 and still have hot flashes. I take nothing for them. I think they might be slowing down a bit - not as many but the ones I do have they tend to be mighty intense.

I can offer no advise except finding something cool to lay on. The back of the neck is a good cooling off area. I turn my pillow over when I get one at night and the cool underside of the pillow helps some. Then I might scoot over to the other side of the bed, where it's also nice and cool. I go low tech all the way.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:20 PM   #5

Didn't have them myself, but I can say to you, "God bless!" Rough way to go I understand.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I went through menopause fairly young (43) and was fortunate to not suffer from them. However, most of my friends are in their 50's and deal with hot flashes regularly. A couple of them swear by an herbal product - Remifemin.
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
Administrator

When I saw the thread title "Hot Flushes", my first reaction was to suggest checking the water supply on the toilet

We had a problem just like this at work once, and it turned out to be a steam leak close to the water pipe feeding the toilets in the bathroom. Let me tell you, there were no pimples on any bottoms in my department that winter
Old 03-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Oh Alan! Your imagery! Thank goodness no pictures in your post.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Oh Alan! Your imagery! Thank goodness no pictures in your post.

Audrey
When it first happened all the plastic bits in the cisterns melted and had to be replaced with brass flushing mechanisms. It took about 10 weeks to get the problem resolved and then the hot flushes stopped.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Toooo Much Information!

Back on topic. I have suffered with hot flashes for two years since I stopped the HRT. I started HRT at about 48 due to flashes, etc. I am now 60 and still have them. I can't use the patch since I am in the pool several times a week.

I have found that they are much better if I am careful with my diet. If I avoid spicey foods and red wine (that's the killer!) they are not to intense. I still have them, but not the drenching kind.

When I have one in the middle of the night I usually get a cool drink of water and they go away. I guess after all this time I am just used to living with them.
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:27 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

After I got off the patch I used an Estrogen cream for awhile that delivers just a slight amount of estrogen . I also tried the estrogen ring .It's a ring that you insert every three months for a small supply of estrogen . It just was not comfortable so I nixed that one . I also dressed in layers that I could remove when the flashes started .
Old 03-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #12

I really didn't want to start down the path of HRT or to use anything. I thought I could just suck it up and get on with it and eventually things would get better. I did think about doing the Bio-Identical, however I don't really want to get on that treadmill either.

The flushes during the day don't bother me that much, I'm lucky in that they seem to only affect my torso, so no brightening of the face to contend with. It's just the inability to sleep thru the night that is killing me. Interesting to see that diet can have an effect. I'll remember to lay off the spicy foods. I also consider myself lucky in that I don't get the night sweats as that must be hard to cope with.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:58 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Not yet! I turned 50 last October, so I don't think it's going to be that much longer for me, but one never knows.
I'll be turning 62 in June, and I haven't ever had even the slightest sign of the hot flashes many women describe. I am sure they must be real because I know real, sensible, intelligent women who suffered terribly from hot flashes. Guess I'm luckier than I ever suspected.

DangerMouse, I hope you find a solution to this difficulty. I can only suggest seeing your doctor and doing whatever he/she recommends.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:15 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
After I got off the patch I used an Estrogen cream for awhile that delivers just a slight amount of estrogen . I also tried the estrogen ring .It's a ring that you insert every three months for a small supply of estrogen . It just was not comfortable so I nixed that one . I also dressed in layers that I could remove when the flashes started .
Hey Moe, what about the recent studies that showed increased estrogen intake led to higher instances of breast cancer? Is that only for pre-menopausal women?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:42 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Hey Moe, what about the recent studies that showed increased estrogen intake led to higher instances of breast cancer? Is that only for pre-menopausal women?
Go on, make her day.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:52 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
When I saw the thread title "Hot Flushes", my first reaction was to suggest checking the water supply on the toilet

We had a problem just like this at work once, and it turned out to be a steam leak close to the water pipe feeding the toilets in the bathroom. Let me tell you, there were no pimples on any bottoms in my department that winter
For some reason I was expecting to hear another tale of romantic mishaps involving piping hot toilets from our intrepid dater Alan...

I think HRT is going to be like coffee--some research says it's good for you, some says it's bad. And the findings will flip flop occasionally. But here's what the NIH has on its website: NIH - Menopausal Hormone Therapy Information
Old 03-29-2010, 03:05 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Age 51.5 and just started those wonderful instant steamy experiences. They only last about 5 minutes maximum. So far...
If not in bed, I do the clothing peel thing (without stripper music )and drink some ice water and use a cool cloth on those...um...special spots.
If in bed and too lazy to get up for a drink and/or dampened cloth, I throw off the covers and the overhead fan does the cooling w*rk for me. Aaaahhhhhhh...
Old 03-29-2010, 03:21 PM   #18

Another reason I like 4 seasons. Stepping outside without a coat, on a 0 degree winter night, is heaven when having a hot flash.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:09 PM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post

No,It is for both and I did worry about it but since I have no family history of breast Cancer and menopause was making me crazy I opted for HRT !
Old 03-29-2010, 05:26 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

DW has been off the estrogen for one year now, and still has about 5-6 hot flashes per day. When she snuggles up in bed I start silently counting down from 13, and by the time I get to zero she's in full sweaty flash mode. She recently tried vitamin E and found no relief. She drinks no red wine and never has spicy food. She has about two cups of coffee per day. She has a small handheld battery-powered fan that gets plenty of use.