Join Early Retirement Today

How Bad are Diet sodas for you, really??
Old 12-10-2007, 08:58 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How Bad are Diet sodas for you, really??

I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but I like my Diet Pepsi.

is this stuff really that bad? I drink a lot of water also..............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2007, 09:04 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My feeling is if it is in moderation, it's OK. Like you, I do not drink coffee and sometimes I need a "pick me up". I alternate between regular sodas and diet sodas when I drink a soda (maybe two per week). Personally, I wonder if the sugar substitutes out there are any better for you than the sugar.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:07 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't heard of very many death certificates that list "Too many Diet Pepsi's" as the cause of death.

I don't drink them except on special occasions, for three reasons:

(1) I need to drink more water instead
(2) Who needs more chemicals?
(3) They cost more than water

But, I know a lot of very healthy people who drink them every day. So, I think drinking Diet Pepsi's is a "lesser dietary sin", so to speak, and doesn't usually have repercussions that I know of.

Oh, I know of one. My brother had a problem with one of the sweeteners (Nutrasweet?) giving him headaches, so he has to be particular with what type he drinks.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:13 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quite a coincidence -- I was thinking about this an hour ago.

I was thinking of it because a month or so ago, based on a discussion in this forum, I switched from drinking 1% milk to drinking non-fat milk. I drink 1.5 gallons per week, so that means that I get 384 fewer calories per week through my milk drinking.

Did I notice any decrease in weight, or notice that it's easier to stay at my target weight? No. I probably just ate more calories elsewhere.

So, at least in terms of weight gain, I'm not sure that drinking diet sodas helps -- that is, one will probably just consume more calories of something else. OTOH you get to enjoy a cookie+diet soda for the same calorie cost as a sugar soda.

Whether the diet sodas are better for you than sugar-filled sodas is another question.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:20 AM   #5

I've heard that if you put a tooth in Pepsi over night it will disappear. Some how I don't think it's very good for you.

I gave up soft drinks 2 1/2 years ago and don't miss it.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:23 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I gave up soft drinks 2 1/2 years ago and...
...now only drink the hard stuff?
Old 12-10-2007, 10:32 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I like my diet coke so don't dissuade my use. I did read something recently that diet pop drinkers tended to be more overweight than sugar pop drinkers. However, they could be drinking diet pop because they are overweight and don't want to get any fatter. Or, they like certain treats and want their empty calories from somewhere else.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:37 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was a "diet-coke-aholic" for a decade and a half+....drinking the stuff all day, every day, refilling my cup from those 64 oz bottles.....gave them up 1 1/2 years ago with only an occassional soda with a restaurant meal, I have experienced no noticable changes....with the exception of an occassional loss of energy, but then couldn't that be from ER and gettin' older?

It seems as though that habit has been replaced with another.....diet green tea....all day, every day.....and I agree with Al that whatever we drink in the diet venue, it is soooo easy to replace the calories that any trivial weight diffence is easily lost!

...and 73ss, I remember dropping a "chunk" of zinc in a Coke in my college Chemistry lab and watching it dissolve right before my eyes .....and I have personally used it to clean corrosion off of my car battery cables!!....kinda makes you think twice about putting it in your stomach, huh
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:48 AM   #9

I know a lot of people seriously addicted to diet sodas...must have something that makes them moreso than regular soda?

I drink regular, sister drinks diet - she's the one with the weight problems!

When you are pregnant, they suggest that you don't drink them - i don't think just because of the caffeine, but because of the artificial sweeteners - so that can't be good for you.

I have heard of a few people who passed out because if you drink a bunch (like a 6 pack) the heat of your body warms up the chemicals and makes it toxic - but that could be urban legend...
Old 12-10-2007, 11:10 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Anybody ever read the book Sweet Poison??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:23 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCollector View Post
...and 73ss, I remember dropping a "chunk" of zinc in a Coke in my college Chemistry lab and watching it dissolve right before my eyes .....and I have personally used it to clean corrosion off of my car battery cables!!....kinda makes you think twice about putting it in your stomach, huh
You should see what some people use water to clean! Itll definitely change you mind about drinking the stuff.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:27 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
I know a lot of people seriously addicted to diet sodas...must have something that makes them moreso than regular soda?
You may be on to something, there. When I used to drink diet sodas, I really felt a NEED to have at least one or two every day. Now that I don't, honestly I never think about them and I prefer water. If a diet soda somehow gets into my refrigerator, it sits there untouched for half a year without me thinking about it at all.

Then Frank will drink it when he's over. He loves 'em.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sweet Poison
Old 12-10-2007, 11:28 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sweet Poison

Didn't know there was such a book (2 actually when I looked at Amazon.com).

But coincidentally, I got an email from someone at work with the very same subject of "Sweet Poison" just today. It claimed that aspartame is linked to MS, lupus, ADHD, etc. Looked over at snopes.com which dismissed the chain email as being false: Urban Legends Reference Pages: Aspartame -- Sweet Poison?

I avoid diet soda. I seldom drink soda anyway but just choose the non-diet because it tastes better to me.
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:15 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I drink several diet cokes a day. I am sure that water is better for you, but I like the taste. A number of friends and relatives have said they are bad for ... But I went to a nutritionist talk recently since my latest physical said my blood sugar levels were slightly elevated (101 vs 100 normal). The nutritionist was fine with consumption of diet soda, he said that only when you get into the 50+ cans a day do you have problems.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:53 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I used to drink about 6 diet cokes a day. Now I drink about 1 a week. I am not worried about zinc dissolving or anything but I have heard on several occasions that all carbonated beverages leach calcium from bones. Don't know if it is true but that would keep me from going back.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:03 PM   #16

I thought the phosphoric acid in the colas was very bad for bone health because it causes calcium to leech out to balance the phosphorus intake. Urban legend?
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:26 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/21/opinion/21tues4.html
Aspartame may cause lymphoma/leukemia in rats even at moderate doses. NY Times

Study reaffirms safety of aspartame - MIT News Office
Aspartame does not seem to affect behavior, even in kids.

Aspartame: review of safety. [Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2002] - PubMed Result
Good example of publicity posing as science; the type of reference you should not believe one way or the other. Note how it appears unbiased and scientific at first glance. Brought to you by the Nutrasweet company. What NOT to rely on.

JAMA -- Abstract: Aspartame. Review of safety issues. Council on Scientific Affairs, July 19, 1985, 254 (3): 400
JAMA review (sorry, need membership to enter); no conclusive evidence of harm.

FWIW, in my opinion aspartame in nonextreme doses appears to be safe enough that its risk, if any, is below the "noise level" as identified by less than optimal research (diet habits and risk are very hard to study well -- too many uncontrollable variables, noncompliance, etc.). Because of its identified credible risk in rats, it's something I would avoid in high, sustained doses just based on common sense and its total lack of nutritional value.

It was interesting to note how many information sources had agendas other than science.

Hope this is helpful.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:42 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Thanks doc. I feel better, but it would take pretty conclusive evidence for me to give up my habit.

"FWIW, in my opinion aspartame in nonextreme doses appears to be safe enough that its risk, if any, is below the "noise level" as identified by less than optimal research "

My I wish studies on everything had this type of common sense disclosure.
The health effects of drinking soda - quotes from the experts
Old 12-10-2007, 07:47 PM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

Doesn't restict commentary to just diet soda...
One-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:54 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Wow dozens of quotes and not a single peer review study published in scientific or medical journal.

The plural of anecdotes is NOT data.