How did you quit smoking?

I smoked for 5 years when I was young. I handed over the last pack to my mom before I boarded the airplane to US and I never smoked again. That was 31 years ago. The life changing event helped me stop.

Changed to e-cigs 2 years ago. I barely miss the real ones. Not wanting to disappoint my wife and son has helped me quit. Some of my friends smoke, but I don't care. Cancer and emphysema help me stay quit too.....
BTW.... All this current threat to e-cigs....might it not be counterproducive to persecute the lesser of two evils?
I'd appreciate your opinions on this issue. Thank you.

I quit cold turkey the day my first grand child was born 10 years ago. I couldn't fathom exhaling that old ashtray breath on that spankin' new baby. Before that I had smoked for 30+ years.

Changed to e-cigs 2 years ago. I barely miss the real ones. Not wanting to disappoint my wife and son has helped me quit. Some of my friends smoke, but I don't care. Cancer and emphysema help me stay quit too.....

BTW.... All this current threat to e-cigs....might it not be counterproducive to persecute the lesser of two evils?

Since nicotine in and of itself does not cause cancer or emphysema, one would think e-cig would be the better choice of the two. I do think some regulation of them would be good as far as under 18 restriction, as they are just a step away from actual smoking. If I were one who used them, I would want regulation and testing of the chemicals used in the process. Many come from China and God only knows what chemicals are dumped into those cartridges. I partake of nicotine mints only myself, and I don't lose any sleep over the use of them. However, I wouldn't ever use an e- cig. Just out of the necessity to avoid confusion and chaos in public areas it would seem best to restrict them like a cigarette. Hmm, after re-reading my post I should delete. I view myself as moderately libertarian. This post makes me look like a hypocrite!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

as for regulation, I see no problem, other than the (assumed) eventual price increase; still cheaper than cigs overall. I might spend $20/month on ejuice, prolly that much every other month for coils (the heating element - needs to be replaced every week or so)

as far as using it in public, I still go outside or to smoking area to use it. I'm not one of those types who want to create hoopla and argue over "it's not a cigarette". I view those folks as attention whores

The cartridges my mom buys from Blu have the ingredients listed right on the box. Not so on a pack of cigarettes even though they are heavily regulated.

Second-hand addictive and/or harmful smoke is the primary issue for me. I craved nicotine long before I lit my first cigarette. My libertarian streak says you should be free to indulge your addictions. However, that freedom does not include making me inhale your smoke. If an e-cig might be emitting an addictive or harmful substance, using it "in public" should be banned.

Requiring e-cigs to list their ingredients seems likely to promote e-cig usage to me. Buying secret proprietary addictive substances is a sucker's bet.

The only other "current threat" to e-cigs I'm aware of concerns selling addictive substances to minors. I recall reading that most cigarette smokers started young, which is why tobacco companies used to give out sample packs to young people. I suspect the same dynamic applies to e-cigs.

I started smoking in my teens. Smoked for 35+ years.

In May, 2012 my father handed me $10,000.00. He said, "This is to help you quit. If you smoke after July 4, 2012, give me the money back. Keep the money as long as you don't smoke." He enlisted my wife's assistance to keep me honest. I figured I might cheat if I waited until the last minute, so I quit cold turkey June 3, 2012.

I still have the cash.

kypix

Congratulations on stopping smoking.

It was the hardest thing I've done. I set a date about a couple of weeks in the future and then quit on that date. And then after a little time, I'd start again. This went on for almost 2 years! I didn't smoke in my home even though I lived alone. I just kept trying and the length of time I was successful kept growing.

When I moved in with my GF (now DW) in June of 1995, I smoked my last cigarette.

If you relapse - take a deep breath, set a date a week ahead and try again. And remember that those dollars you're spending are lining some fat cat's pocket and he's laughing all the way to the bank at your expense - health & money.

I started around age 15. Quit in my 20s for 7 years and then quit again 10 years ago. Would you believe I just picked up the habit again a month ago?
Haven't made a plan to quit again, but I could kick myself for starting it back up after so long...

Oh no! Was it because of you having to go back to work after that exciting trip through Siberia? If so, I hope you get to ER soon. I used to smoke when I was stressed out by work. When I stopped giving a damn, I was able to quit for real.

I quit three times. Each time I began again with a stronger cigarette. First quit in 1970, finally in 1977. No patches, just will power.

I have never smoked but as a physician I counseled many smokers to quit... I note that the intense need for a cig likely fades in less than 15 minutes....

For the next 15 minutes, do anything else..sex, shower, go for a walk...

Yeah, but that still leaves me with 6-7 minutes to kill.

Congratulations on stopping smoking.

It was the hardest thing I've done.

And remember that those dollars you're spending are lining some fat cat's pocket and he's laughing all the way to the bank at your expense - health & money.

This

On Mother's day, twenty two years ago or something like that. I imagined some fat cat who was my master, because of my addiction.

There was a movie out that I found hilarious. "Thank You For Smoking" if I remember right.

Last edited:
Quit after 10 years, 30+ years ago. Everytime I quit whether 1 day of 2 weeks, the restart always made me nauseous. And if I had a high sugar soft drink (cola especially bad) I would get light headed, nauseous, heart racing, and blood pressure drop. By the 4th smoke, I'd be Ok. I quit when I convince my self that I really didn't like the affect of the first smoke and the second smoke would me worse than the first. I get physically ill just thinking about it. So I never think about smoking and any smoke around me is now a positively revolting event.

Well, the good news is that my 73 year old mother finally quit smoking this week. The bad news is that it took the removal of part of her lung to make that happen. We don't know yet if the surgery got all of the cancer or whether more is necessary or possible.

If you are a smoker, please do yourself a favor and quit.

I smoked for 19 years and was up to a carton a week when I quit. Here's how I did it:

First, my sister had finally managed to quit after several attempts and she gave me some advice (use the patch) and also some motivation; if my sister can do it...

I was turning 40 and had never tried to quit before, but prices for cigs were going up and I felt that it was time to quit.

I used the patch. Had to pay for them myself, although now I think most health plans will cover it. I had some really funky dreams while using the highest strength patch so I feel like they were giving much more nicotine than I was getting from my ultralight smokes. Can't really say whether or not they helped, but I did quit for good.

I told everyone and used them as my support network. Tried to keep busy and to avoid high trigger activities, but of course you can't do that forever.

I rewarded myself. Had a modest car payment at the time so told myself that I could roll my monthly cigarette spending into a nicer car payment if I stayed clean for 6 months. I would car shop for motivation. Bought an Audi A6 and drove it for 8 years. Great car.

I didn't gain any weight and I did not feel one bit better once I quit. I still consider myself to be an addict. Traveling today is so much easier if you don't smoke. Good luck. Reward yourself!

Well, the good news is that my 73 year old mother finally quit smoking this week. The bad news is that it took the removal of part of her lung to make that happen. We don't know yet if the surgery got all of the cancer or whether more is necessary or possible.

If you are a smoker, please do yourself a favor and quit.

Oh, no. :( I hope she has many smokefree years ahead of her.

Three days ago I tossed out the ashtray and the lighters and quit cold turkey. ...
update... 4.1 weeks now without a ciggy! I like to chart progress towards goals (vestigial from megacorp life I suppose). Found this & copied to a spreadsheet. As incremental time posts are reached, they get checked off. Makes me feel like I've achieved something but that there's a lot more to get. Stop Smoking Benefits Timetable

Last edited:
update... 4.1 weeks now without a ciggy! I like to chart progress towards goals (vestigial from megacorp life I suppose). Found this & copied to a spreadsheet. As incremental time posts are reached, they get checked off. Makes me feel like I've achieved something but that there's a lot more to get. Stop Smoking Benefits Timetable

Good job. Now stay the course...

update... 4.1 weeks now without a ciggy!

Congratulations! You may have already passed the serious temptation point, so you're probably home free.

If you're not a regular aerobic exerciser, now is the best time to start, so you can get your lung power back. I used to think of it as power-flushing my lungs. Difficult at first, but it keeps getting easier.

Congratulations! You may have already passed the serious temptation point, so you're probably home free.

If you're not a regular aerobic exerciser, now is the best time to start, so you can get your lung power back. I used to think of it as power-flushing my lungs. Difficult at first, but it keeps getting easier.

I agree, at this point you're typically past the physical withdraw symptoms. Now comes the difficult part, the demons that tell you it's ok to have one. Don't give in, if you slip, start again.

Have you gotten to the point where you can smell smoke on others? That was a big motivation for me.

Congratulations, it's really hard to quit. I know you can do it.
MRG

Back
Top Bottom