Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-22-2019, 05:41 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I’m in the market for house shoes (slippers) with good arch support. Any pointers would be welcome. I use them regularly for comfort and leaving the dirt outside where it belongs. Plus they’re oh so Hef.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2019, 06:09 PM   #22
gone traveling

My right leg is quite bowed such that I wear out the outside heal of that foot's shoe when everything else is still good for a while. Net, waste a decent pair of shoes probably 2X as fast as I would if not for this issue.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:12 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have arthritis in my right ankle , the doctor prescribed custom orthotics 300.00 . But a fellow member here directed me to a company he worked for and they have worked like a charm 110.00 .
I know everyone will laugh but when I walk with long pants on I wear SAS Bone ugly's kind of pricey but are hand made and last years . For workouts I use New Balance with inserts
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:14 PM   #24

Gerntz , I am not a doctor but you might want to try custom inserts . 110.00 pair
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:25 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
No baloney. I get a new pair of running shoes every 300 to 500 miles. That’s about how long the cushion lasts for me. I’ll continue to wear the old ones around the yard, errands, workshop until they start to fall apart. Orthotics seem to give a little extra cushion.
300 to 500 miles? That's it?

Get yourself a pair of Ho Chi Minh sandals. If a Michelin tire lasts 40,000 miles on a car, a pair of sandals made with the same tire will last your life, then be handed down to your offspring, and your grandchildren too.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:54 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
300 to 500 miles? That's it?

Get yourself a pair of Ho Chi Minh sandals. If a Michelin tire lasts 40,000 miles on a car, a pair of sandals made with the same tire will last your life, then be handed down to your offspring, and your grandchildren too.

Are these the "Trail" model?
Old 03-22-2019, 08:11 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

^ those do look like they would last 40,000 miles. I’m not sure about comfort though.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:13 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
If your shoes don't feel good when you walk - try a new insole. If that doesn't work, you should buy a new pair. Pay attention to the kind of discomfort so you can tell when its time to replace them in the future.
I've been using New Balance insoles, most recently the 3810 ultra support insole. They may seem pricey at $30, but they are incredibly comfortable. The insoles that came with my shoes are junk compared to these.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:25 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I’m in the market for house shoes (slippers) with good arch support. Any pointers would be welcome. I use them regularly for comfort and leaving the dirt outside where it belongs. Plus they’re oh so Hef.

DH wears Birkenstock’s as his house shoes. He’s got some issue with his feet that make it painful to walk without arch supports, the Birk’s do the job. And since they don’t go outside, they last for years.
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:28 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom2708 View Post
Consider Altra brand shoes for walking. Zero drop. Barefoot style.

Wide/foot shaped toe bed.
I guess I’m missing something. I went on their site and looked at some shoes, but none allowed you to select the width. Figured that they must all run wide, but found comments on one of the shoes I was interested in that it was just another narrow running shoe. I may see if I can find them in stock somewhere to try them on first. That’s how I found Brooks. It was not a brand I knew of until recommended at a local shoe store that actually has people to help you get a properly fitting shoe. The Altra’s do sound interesting.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:32 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Are these the "Trail" model?
I am not sure if the above are the "Trail" model or the "All Terrain" type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
^ those do look like they would last 40,000 miles. I’m not sure about comfort though.
Oh, after lasting 40K miles on a car, then put on your feet they will last a lot more because your weight is nothing compared to that of a vehicle.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-22-2019, 10:06 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

By the way, I have not had a chance to try on these sandals, but people who have say that they are very comfortable.

And in contrast with shoes, they let your feet dry out in humid conditions, and alleviate foot rot.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:22 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean view View Post
DH wears Birkenstock’s as his house shoes. He’s got some issue with his feet that make it painful to walk without arch supports, the Birk’s do the job. And since they don’t go outside, they last for years.
Thanks! Actually, after I posted that I remembered Birkenstock's. I own one pair (of "normal use" shoes) that I bought locally about five years ago. I don't know if the store is still open, but it's worth having a look.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:29 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
I don't buy shoes often as mine don't seem to wear much, despite a lot of walking. I've been using Merrill walking shoes and swear by them. I've walked all over Europe in the pair I currently have on my feet: they are at least 10 years old and I wear them almost every day. They are comfortably worn but not at all falling apart. Really, an excellent buy!
I have 8 pairs of Merrell's. One leg is smaller and and shorter from a broken leg in 6th grade. Also, L foot is almost a size smaller. Four of my Merrell's are for winter and three of the pairs between 7-10 yrs. old. The local dry cleaner cleans the suede like new. I do wear Sketcher's sandals. The back of my shoes have to be open. My knees and back are doing great at 62 yo and I credit that to Merrell's. I ask nurses when we go to the hospital to visit or if I'm there. Many wear Merrell's and swear by them.

It's a personal preference. I walk daily, at least an hour with my large dogs over the years. IMO, there's no better shoe on the market.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:10 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean view View Post

An update on this for me regarding this good suggestion: I was wandering around Walmart this week and noticed the section I’d never paid any attention to before: good old Dr. Scholl.

None of the current Birkenstock offerings appealed to me and my current house shoes are in good shape with the exception of arch support. While not a “blow that dough” purchase, basic inserts seem to have helped this for me. No fancy memory foam or gel needed.

I was reminded to retrieve my street shoe Birkenstocks from the closet though and will look for a few trees to hug this spring (that’s the image we always associated with them).

Old 03-29-2019, 07:31 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

My gal has amazing feet - short, but with a very high arch and very wide across the toes. Her track on wet sand is toes and a heel depression. She does not care for shoes at all - in highschool she painted sandal straps on top of her feet at one point to subvert the shoes required rule. She swears by the arch support and raised "toe grabbing" area and comfort of Keen sandals. for all seasons. Glacier in Canada - Keen sandals:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1096.jpg (345.6 KB, 13 views)