How many chin-ups can you do?

How many chin-ups can you do in one set, without a break?

• I can't remember the last time I even tried

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • 0 - I've tired, but can't even do 1 very well.

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • 1-2

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • 3-9

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • 10-19

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • 20-29

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • 30-39

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40-49

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50+

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

DayDreaming

Full time employment: Posting here.
I'm impressed with how much exercise some people here do. Myself, I bicycle quite a bit, but have very poor upper body strength. I haven't been near a gym since college, and I could not even do 1 chin-up. I recently decided that I better so something about this if I want to be a healthy old man so I've started exercising at home with dumbbells and resistance bands. Now I'm now up to 3 chin-ups - still pretty embarrassing, I know. :-[ I'm 51, 140 lbs, and determined to get a little stronger & healthier.

So, how many chin-ups can you do - in one set without a break?

I don't know and won't be near a chin-up bar to try it until next week. I used to do 10 years ago but I don't think I could now.

I usually do pull-ups vs chin ups and can do about 10 reps. While I try for 3 sets the reps tail off rapidly. I suspect chin-ups are a bit easier. Nevertheless, both are tough exercises when you are packing 200 lbs. I've seen some of the lighter and younger guys do a bunch of these in my gym and it amazes me. Most folks my age do not even attempt them, unless they are using one of the machines that provides an assist.

I do 3 sets of 10 each on one of those machines that has a weight stack to provide assistance. I am currently at 25 lbs of "assistance". Don't know if I will ever get to zero.

Zero.
Even when I was in my most physically fit state (age 19, auto mechanic at Sears for the summer), I never could do those.
If I had been able to, I would have scared off the guys. ;)

I do 3 sets of 6 wide grip pull ups with my other weight exercise. I broke my collarbone a long time ago and I prefer pullups to chin ups

So, how many chin-ups can you do - in one set without a break?
I'm up to six at a set, three sets.

By next month I hope to be up to seven at a set, three sets. Been there before, just getting back to it.

But after that it's unexplored territory. The good news is that the output is a function of the effort input. It's never come easy.

None, but I'm a good kicker so don't mess with me;)

Most women would probably answer zero.
My answer is zero too.
I never could do it even when I was young and athletic, unless I jumped at the bar and I was already half way there.

I'm tired just thinking about trying :LOL:

I don't have a chin-up bar or water pipe nearby, but last I tried (several years ago), I say about 2 to 3.

I can usually do 10 in a "set" now. Been really working on this for a while as everything I read says it is one of the very best bodyweight exercises you can do. I can usually do about 3 or 4 sets. Mind you, the last half dozen are a red-faced embarrassment of kicking legs,squealing and whimpering. I'm sure if I lose this last 20 lbs it'll get easier to hoist the rest of me skywards.

Back
Top Bottom