Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-26-2008, 11:05 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nose,collar bone,thumb,thumb again

thumbs were from football, collar bone got pushed off a fence and nose was a punch from a fist
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2008, 11:21 AM   #22

None so far, although when I was thrown from my bike going 15-20 mph a couple of years ago I thought for sure I was going to break something. One inch open gash just below my right knee, strained ligaments on my left hand ring finger, strained ligaments in my left foot, and a small dent in my helmet were the result of the fall.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #23

I broke my left arm and left leg when I was 3 while making contact with the dashboard and windshield during a car accident. A couple of nice gashes in my forehead, too. Carseats weren't common back then.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:56 PM   #24
Administrator

No broken bones but a number of sports injuries - tore up my ankle in my 20's playing soccer - ended up in plaster for a few weeks.

Also in my 20's I dislocated a finger quite badly playing soccer - needing re-setting plus many stitches - also had stitches in the head from playing cricket that same year.

Ruptured a disc in my back playing soccer at 35 needing surgery

Tore knee ligament in my knee at 40 needing surgery.

at 48 had surgery on both shoulders (de-compression) to get me back able to play tenns again.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:32 PM   #25

Out of all my injuries spraining my ankle was the worst! Almost made me cry Still cringe
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:52 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I am 36 years old, and have broken only one bone. When I do something I don't believe in holding anything back. So in this case, my one broken bone would be my neck . Flipped mountain biking, landing on my neck/shoulders.

Thought I broke my arm at first cause I was getting massive sharp pain there... Thumb, index, middle finger tingling... I decided that I tweaked a nerve, hiked out, went to the ER.. They decided not to take X-rays (yea I know, crazy)... 3 days later, I decide to goto my Primary Care Physician (PCP) who I have never seen... in the 10 years I've had "him" as my PCP...

I still have no idea why I decided to goto my PCP, I never goto the dr, unless I'm on my death bed... which means I goto the ER/Urgent care. PCP take an X-ray... says don't move, I'm putting a collar on you, and see here.. you have a "dislocated, fractured vertebra"... the scary thing is I could actually see it in the X-ray, a chip of bone, and things definatly didn't "line up" anymore... that means it was bad... usually I don't see anything the Dr or Vet is refering to in an x-ray... (seen more dog x-rays than human x-rays)

A couple days of traction where I had a bunch of weight hanging off screws "bolted" into my head... a few hours surgery, a titanimum plate, a couple screws later... and about 2 years recovery time (took way longer than I thought it would)...

I'm back to riding. I don't do as much crazy downhill stuff that I did (I walk stuff that before I would have bombed down without even thinking about it), alot more road over mountain biking, and I am always very careful to tell somebody where I will be, and when to check on me to see if I'm back, or out laying on the trail bleeding to death.

Laters,
-d.
dgalbraith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:55 PM   #27

Many times my friends and I did things stupid enough to get mention here. However, I didn't break any bones. What it took was me and DS racing down our block. DS was about 3 and I was running backwards. Tripped over a tree root and straight-armed the ground. Can any of you pronounce scaphoid?
Old 04-27-2008, 01:06 AM   #28

about a dozen of my fingers and toes (always been clumsy), a few cracked ribs
Old 04-27-2008, 01:30 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

None, but being a woman and not playing contact sports probably helps.
zoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:23 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Once, flying over the handlebars of a mountain bike. Donheff, I broke my left wrist, which did you break?
Old 04-27-2008, 09:12 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
On separate occasions, I have broken my left collarbone twice, my right wrist, my left wrist, and my foot for a total of 5. Add in ACL reconstruction if you like for 6. Five of these were sports related (I play basketball almost daily and help coach an AAU team).
Maybe I am not as coordinated as I think I am or my opponents who caused most of these injuries are rougher than they should be.
I just don't think I am accident-prone as I have never broken a bone while bike racing despite ample opportunity to do so.
I've heard that "insanity" is defined as repeating your actions while expecting different results.

At least in taekwondo I get to wear body pads, a helmet, and orthopedic knee braces. Sounds like your basketball league needs to either change the rules or change the equipment.

A collarbone (sledding as a kid) plus 4-5 sprained ankles, two ACLs, and most of a knee's worth of cartilage...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:36 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

First bone on my left index finger in preschool trying to pick up a little piece of glitter out of the carpet while simultaneously riding in a wooden rocking boat-like thing.

Being a clever boy, I tried to time it so that the rocking boat was up in the air while I was grabbing for the glitter. My mistake was grabbing and missing and then making a split second decision to try to grab a second time. Rocking boat came down on the finger.

It was less memorable for the pain than for that being the first time I won an argument with my Dad - I said it was broken and my Dad didn't think so. It was barely broken anyway -- more like the bone just was cracked.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote