How Many Workouts in 2015

Probably about 130 days running, although I don't track it rigorously, and that comes out to about 300 miles total. I do keep a pedometer on me and avg about 4-4.5 miles/day for the whole year; so that is about 1500 combined miles of walking and running.

Could do better I guess, but this is also with working full time. Once retired I would have more time available. To be determined if that comes true.......
I think that just keeping track on a daily basis is great. That feedback during our day is what we need to go the extra mile.

I think that just keeping track on a daily basis is great. That feedback during our day is what we need to go the extra mile.

Yes, that was really the point of my OP. Not so much the result but rather the process of keeping track. I have been doing this for several decades and it reinforces my commitment to daily fitness. This is an outgrowth of the kind of person I am (and I suspect the case for many here), ie organized, committed, maybe even a little driven?

I do some combination of 4 "workouts:" running, cycling, swimming, and weights. I average 35 per month or so. In a given day I do more than one, so there are about 6 days/month I do none.
I track my workouts on a basic online training calendar. For me, good way to keep track and just as importantly provides ongoing inspiration for me to complete my monthly "quota."

Today is the start of my gym workouts of 2016, athough I have already gone for a 7k run on New Year's Day.

I really like the idea of writing everything down...so today, I will start doing this.

I do some combination of 4 "workouts:" running, cycling, swimming, and weights. I average 35 per month or so. In a given day I do more than one, so there are about 6 days/month I do none.
I track my workouts on a basic online training calendar. For me, good way to keep track and just as importantly provides ongoing inspiration for me to complete my monthly "quota."

You got me thinking. I did 47 training sessions in 2015. These are always accompanied by an erobic workout, so I should really add the training sessions to my totals. That gets me up to 322 for the year!! Yea!! I know, I know. I am getting carried away.

I only track walking, cycling and hiking since smartphone apps make it so easy. No tracking of of strength-building worksouts, so I had a total of 975 miles, 241 hours, 97,761 calories burned (although I suspect my tracker overestimates calories), 75 workouts tracked.

Goal for 2016: focus on exercising more often, as opposed to the less frequent long-duration events, i.e. 5 1 hour bike rides instead of 1 5 hour hike.

554 miles walking the golf course carrying my bag. Down somewhat from last year as it is too hot here in AZ to walk during the summer. With past years, living in Colorado in summer, used to log closer to 900 miles.

Also played pickle ball 40 times for about 1.5 hrs per game.

Only 97 logged since August '15. We'd been walking since the beginning of May, but hadn't tracked the workouts.

In November DW said she's walking indoors for the winter, so gym it is. Mainly just 3 times a week for an hour. We just started with weights for 1/2 the hour, rest is cardio.

Overall we're pretty happy with our results, 92 combined pounds lost. Both went from BMI of obese to normal! I had some data that suggests 80% of at least my weight loss was due to diet, only 20% exercise. Guess the saying of not being able to exercise your way out of a bad diet is true.

Goal for this year is to keep working out and keep logging the diet. I'm going to try eating LCHF for at least a month to see if that WOE is agreeable. First day was yesterday, pretty good so far.

Impressive! I biked 2,791 miles last year, up from 1,472 miles in 2014. Most of this was for training for two 210 mile organized rides. I suspect my number will be a lot lower this year, probably closer to what I did in 2014.
Thanks. Are your 210 mile rides touring rides? I've never done that, but would like to try.

7,000 vertical feet of skiing at the end of 2015. I am still young and workout as often as I can. I have the occasional lapses of 2-3weeks and then my internals start whacking out to the point I need to workout.

2016 Goal is 20,000+ ft of skiing, playing more basketball and doing the weekly workouts a bit more routinely...its tough with an infant at home. I figure working out more at home will mean spending less online/at the store.

Didn't track my workouts in 2015, but I ended the year feeling pretty good and my weight was within a couple of pounds of where I was at the beginning of the year. But for the record, I've worked out 3 times so far this year. :D

Swam 133,500 yards (~76 statute miles)
Biked 1255 miles
Ran 880 miles

Didn't count all the walking, SUP, weights, etc.

When home we usually do 2 exercise workouts at the gym each day Monday through Thursday then Friday through Sunday we go for a walk or bike ride.

Last year we were traveling for 5 months and most days included a long hike or walk. At the end of the trip I had lost 6lbs - I was 178lbs before we left. However I really have no idea how much we did in 2015.

This thread has inspired me to keep a formal log of the type of exercise and duration for 2016 :)

ETA
I record my weight once a week, and see that I was exactly the same weight in the last week of the year as I was in the first (176lbs).

Last edited:
Thanks. Are your 210 mile rides touring rides? I've never done that, but would like to try.

Not a touring ride. I biked STP (Seattle to Portland) and RSVP (Seattle to Vancouver BC) with my son this year. Since it was an organized ride, we had luggage services, snacks provided, etc. We did both rides over two days and booked hotel rooms.

We both enjoyed RSVP and are planning on doing it again this year. STP was meh. Too many people and the route was only ok.

When my son was younger, we did a couple of overnight rides where we packed everything on our bikes and would stay the night at a campground. But I find that I like the comfort of a bed and not having to lug around a lot of gear.

Eventually I'll try a longer supported ride, such as two weeks in the south of France, but I want to have luggage and lodging taken care of.

Not a touring ride. I biked STP (Seattle to Portland) and RSVP (Seattle to Vancouver BC) with my son this year. Since it was an organized ride, we had luggage services, snacks provided, etc. We did both rides over two days and booked hotel rooms.

We both enjoyed RSVP and are planning on doing it again this year. STP was meh. Too many people and the route was only ok.

When my son was younger, we did a couple of overnight rides where we packed everything on our bikes and would stay the night at a campground. But I find that I like the comfort of a bed and not having to lug around a lot of gear.

Eventually I'll try a longer supported ride, such as two weeks in the south of France, but I want to have luggage and lodging taken care of.
That sounds like so much fun. And to make those memories with your son is something special.

Thank you for sharing the experience.

I don't track number of workouts. I track too much in life. I average 4x - 5x per week of workouts. The other days I'm very active so I really don't put a number to it.

This thread has inspired me to keep a formal log of the type of exercise and duration for 2016 :)

Heh, I'm looking forward to the day where I DON'T keep meticulous track of my -ahem- training as I have for the last, hell, 25 years?

DW just got her dad a FitBit for Christmas, and that seems like a fun way to keep track of moderate exercise.

For now, there's not much moderate about my running/biking/swimming in terms of intensity (even though the volume isn't huge compared to some). At 38 turning 39, I'm thinking more and more about "retiring" from competition. :LOL:

First workout of 2016 in the books...400 calories burned on the stationary bike (10 miles) and then just over an hour of weights, working the PUSHING muscle groups. Legs tomorrow.

2015 was mostly about getting leaner and working on my cardio endurance...2016 will focus on getting stronger - I am going to try and eat a minimum of 150 grams of protein daily to help facilitate this.

We have taken a number of these supported trips to Europe. Love them. Usually about 5-6 days but I am sure you can get longer ones. Have used Butterfield &Robinson, Duvine, and Back Roads. Been to Italy several times, Croatia, Portugal, Austria. This year it's back to Italy (Umbria) as well as Bavaria/Austria. Have met some wonderful people doing this. In fact we met many of our friends this way. Wish list includes, Slovenia, Argentina, and Chile.

We have taken a number of these supported trips to Europe. Love them. Usually about 5-6 days but I am sure you can get longer ones. Have used Butterfield &Robinson, Duvine, and Back Roads. Been to Italy several times, Croatia, Portugal, Austria. This year it's back to Italy (Umbria) as well as Bavaria/Austria. Have met some wonderful people doing this. In fact we met many of our friends this way. Wish list includes, Slovenia, Argentina, and Chile.

Perhaps, most are already aware of many of the 'tools' for bicycle touring. But, for those who are interested and new to the options, I thought I would share some things:

- crazyguyonabike is a journal site where mostly self-contained touring is logged. If you have any interest in learning about self-contained bicycle touring, this is a good place to start.
- Adventure Cycling is a non-profit that focuses upon bicycle touring. They offer great maps, tours and if you are looking for a partner, people post on their site looking for like-minded people. AC is also a great place to start your investigation.
- Fully contained touring companies, like Backroads. These are tours that often come with guides, routing, leader support etc. They are the 'cruise ships' of bicycle touring. Adventure Cycling site provides a review
- Large (many people) supported rides - RAGBRI & SAGBRAW (or similar) is a popular ride across various states SAGBRAW is the Wisconsin ride which I road many years ago. It's a supported ride with hundreds, if not thousands, of your closest friends. Support and fellow cyclists was always good. Communities were very supportive. For those looking for an inexpensive, supported ride, this is an option. But does not offer the comfort, or expense, of the Backroad type tours.
Self Contained Tours - After our first/only Backroads tour, which was amazing, we thought we could do it ourselves, in order to save lots of money. So that is what we did. Our earlier tours were one week, with a handle bar bag. We routed hotel to hotel using Adventure Cycling maps, washed our our bike cloths for the next day, etc. Now, we go fully loaded and will do multi-month tours.

Lots of stuff here. I love bicycling and advocate for it as a healthy approach to vacationing and seeing the country at a human speed. If you want to discuss, feel free to message me.

I keep track of my workouts in a diary. Based on what I do, I count every day as a workout day, a half workout day or a no workout day. Most days on which I workout count as one day even if I've done a double workout. 1/2 workouts are something like a half hour walk on days when I just don't have enough time to do more. In 2015 I had 273 workout days which is an average of 5 1/4 days per week. My goal is to average 5 1/2 days per week, so I missed it by a bit. Still, not too shabby for an old f@rt of 70 years.

Sent from my iPod touch using Early Retirement Forum

Heh, I'm looking forward to the day where I DON'T keep meticulous track of my -ahem- training as I have for the last, hell, 25 years?

DW just got her dad a FitBit for Christmas, and that seems like a fun way to keep track of moderate exercise.

For now, there's not much moderate about my running/biking/swimming in terms of intensity (even though the volume isn't huge compared to some). At 38 turning 39, I'm thinking more and more about "retiring" from competition. :LOL:

My DW got a Fitbit for Christmas as well and so far seems to love it.

Back
Top Bottom