Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-05-2020, 05:52 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I drink exactly one travel mug of coffee every day.

If I drink more, I won't be able to sleep the following night.
If I drink less, I am a wreck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I have found I can't drink "any" coffee after 2pm if I want to get to sleep before midnight.... But, I can drink a coke a hour or two before bedtime and it doesn't bother me at all....I guess it's the big difference in caffeine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
2 to 4 cups in the morning, none after.
I'm like all of the ones quoted here. I drink 2 mugs, equivalent to about 2 1/2 cups, every morning. I need them to get going, but likewise would not be able to fall asleep if I had coffee later in the day. And I'm already an insomniac!
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2020, 06:17 AM   #82

My cup holds 14 oz. I drink one cup and fill it again. The second cup usually does not get finished.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:19 AM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Only drink coffee as a drug effectively after a heavy meal at night when I have to drive home a decent distance.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:28 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
I'm like all of the ones quoted here. I drink 2 mugs, equivalent to about 2 1/2 cups, every morning. I need them to get going, but likewise would not be able to fall asleep if I had coffee later in the day. And I'm already an insomniac!
Apologies for this thread creep. But I'd be remiss, as a huge Eastwood fan, if I didn't show how I drink my coffee:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mug front.jpg (276.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Mug back.jpg (313.5 KB, 11 views)
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:44 AM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.

I do a 10 cup Mr. coffee but it is pretty dilute about 2 tablespoons of coffee grounds to make that. Sometimes I add honey to it.

I drink any remainder from the day b4 if any and make a fresh pot. It cools off and I microwave or drink cold from the pot throughout the day.
Seems not to affect my sleep as I can drink a cup and fall asleep immediately.

However 5-6 hours later I am wide awake.
Ready-4-ER-at-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:04 AM   #86

Five or more cups a day. Been drinking coffee since I was 12.

I like the supposed quote from Voltaire:
Voltaire drank immense quantities of Coffee, and was not-withstanding eighty-four years of age. The clever answer, which he gave to a friend, who was proving to him that coffee was a slow poison, is well known. “Slow it must be indeed,” replied Voltaire, “for I have sipped it for seventy-five years.”

There is also this:
4 Cups a Day: 4 Surprising Health Benefits of Drinking That Much Coffee.
Two cups aren't enough, says science.

https://www.inverse.com/article/4635...f-coffee-a-day

"... the astrologer who lived in a tumbled old tower up the valley, and put in his nights studying the stars. Every one knew he could foretell wars and famines, though that was not so hard, for there was always a war and generally a famine somewhere."
-- Mark Twain, The Mysterious Stranger
Turbo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:29 AM   #87

Somewhere along the way, I transitioned from Diet Coke to coffee. (I used to stop off at 7-Eleven for a 64 oz. size on my way to the office.)

When my last coffee morning mug wore out, a Bubba 52 oz. popped up to replace it.

Usually I drink a Bubba for breakfast, and take a thermos (about 24 ozs.) to work. The thermos is gone before noon . . .

Since Covid, my trips to the cafeteria during w@rk have decreased. Hmmm, maybe that is why I have been sleepy in the late afternoon.

Pre-Covid, I used to drink until about 4:00 p.m. unless I had a midnight deadline, in which case all bets were off.
Old 12-05-2020, 04:35 PM   #88
Confused about dryer sheets

I drink three Keurig pods about 10 oz each before noon each day.
jsouther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:01 PM   #89

A lot. Probably 5-6 cups a day. I stop by 3 so that I can sleep. Otherwise I would drink it till it's time for wine. Mostly hot and black, sometimes iced with cream.

I'm Cajun and coffee is part of the culture. On Sundays after lunch the ladies would clean the kitchen and have coffee and dessert. The little girls got to attend if they wanted to. Little girls started with mostly milk and a little coffee. The ratio changed as you got older. More coffee, less milk. By high school, you drank coffee like a grown up.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:31 PM   #90
gone traveling

I cup daily about 10AM, I'm a late riser. Creamer and stevia.
jam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:18 PM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

One full Mr. Coffee size pot of strong coffee every morning since I was eighteen. Over time, I gradually reduced the sugar and cream; it's been skim milk and an artificial sweetener (currently Splenda) for the last twenty, or so, years. I'll turn seventy in 2021.
Speculator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:07 PM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's one for you - According to Ruth Warrick, at the beginning of production of Citizen Kane, Orson Welles was suffering from the effects of caffeine poisoning as the result of consuming thirty to forty cups of coffee a day.
JRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:58 PM   #93

1 cup a day in the morning. I just bought a Nespresso as my retirement gift. Yum. I am in love but 2 cheap to drink more at $1 plus a pod.
Vacation4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:48 PM   #94

None. Have any hot beverage (coffee, tea, cocoa), and my taste buds are out of whack for several hours. I can't quite explain why.

I do have iced tea from brewed black teas, roughly 2.5 tea bags worth per day during the week. Usually around lunch and into the early afternoon. Anything later, and the extra caffeine messes with my sleeping patterns. I tend to take a break from brewed iced tea during the weekends.

That said, I do love the smell of fresh coffee being made.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 02:28 AM   #95
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation4us View Post
1 cup a day in the morning. I just bought a Nespresso as my retirement gift. Yum. I am in love but 2 cheap to drink more at $1 plus a pod.
Should be no more than $0.70 per pod. Where are you buying your Nespresso pods?
Old 12-07-2020, 02:56 AM   #96

I make 16 oz of strong brew in the french press 4-5 days a week. I don't miss it on the days I don't make it. I whip MCT powder and stevia into it, I don't care for black. I didn't start regularly drinking coffee until about 6-8 years ago. Not from total avoidance, just a gradual change in my tastes. It seems to coincide with my transition from mid-shelf tequila to mid-shelf scotch. I've developed old man taste buds.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 04:49 AM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets

Too much according my Dr. At least 3, sometimes 4 or 5. So maybe ~4 on average. No sugar, sweetners, etc. Just a Dash of 2% milk to give it the illusion of not being black coffee
prototype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 05:46 AM   #98

Well apparently not enough since I was going to answer this and realized I already did a few days ago and am probably not awake enough.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:11 AM   #99

Mrs Z3 and I make a pot and a half per day of 50/50. So this would be 18 cups. I probably drink 12 of the 18. But since it is 50/50, does this count as 6 cups?
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:03 AM   #100

I make and consume the contents of a 1 liter coffee press most every morning. That gives me about two and half mugs. Currently going with half caf/decaf. I don't care for coffee after morning. In fact, the beginning of eating generally stops my coffee consumption, however much I've had.