Join Early Retirement Today

How Much Fish Oil to Take?
Old 11-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How Much Fish Oil to Take?

If you take fish oil how much do you take? Have you noticed any benefits?

I take a large soup spoonful, which holds somewhat more than 2 tsp. This preparation supposedly has 1.4 gm of O-3, and ca. 1 gm of EPA and DHC per tsp, so my dose is almost 3 gm of total O-3. I almost like the taste, so taking it is no problem. Also, in summer I eat fish ca 3-4x/wk and in winter maybe 2x. ( I don't enjoy frozen fish, and there is a lot more fresh fish around in summer.) I would eat fish/shellfish even more if it were not so expensive, because I prefer it.

I really don't know what effects the oil has. It does seem to thin blood, as I bleed like stink whenever I have blood drawn. I started it for possible lipid improvements, and for traumatic arthritis in one hip. My hip is no worse and likely somewhat better than it was 2 1/2 years ago, so I guess that is good.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I take 3600mg in pill form daily (3x 1200mg). I've been taking it for about 3 years and my cholesterol has gone from deadly to normal. I haven't noticed any effects in relation to bleeding.

I don't think I could handle taking straight fish oil by spoon.

Age 50, DW is 54, 1.4M split 25 Stock, 40 Mutual Funds, 25 Bonds, 5 Commodities, 5 REIT. Own Home, no debts.
Automatika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps I will up it a bit then. My Doc loves my lipids other than LDL of 135. I refuse to take statins, so this result could make visits more pleasant, and quite possibly improve my health posture.

I cannot swallow a bunch of pills, but the oil does not bother me. I like the taste, but I admit that the mouth feel could be better.

Ha
Old 11-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

This is another of those "lots of studies but no proof of anything" items. (It is still, however, the only "supplement" approved by the American Heart Association.)

Let me Google that for you:

"fish oil" +health - Google Search

I take two 1,200mg capsules a day (morning & evening). I have for probably ten years now and, all I know is, I am still on the Sunny-side of the grass... so it must be worth the effort. Seriously though, I know of nothing physically (or mentally, for that matter) that I can attribute to this regimen.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I read an article recently in Nutrition Action that said 2500 mg/week was sufficient, so I cut back to 3000 mg/wk.

The article also said that fish oil from eating fish is better than from capsules or a bottle. I just don't eat that much fish, though.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #6

I take two 1200mg fish oil softgels per day, each supposed to have 360mg Omega 3. Since the beginning of 2009 my total cholesterol score has been falling (224, 215, 202, 201), my HDL has risen (61, 51, 57, 95), and LDL has fallen (152, 146, 131, 90). My doctor remarked that my most recent high HDL of 95 might be due to the fish oil (I'm not sure he was serious). I'm not attributing the improvement in blood cholesterol to the fish oil, since I've also been eating better, but there might be a connection.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I take a 1000mg caplet once a day most days. Probably 5000mg a week. No analysis behind that -- it is just what I do.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I take a 1000 mg capsule daily and eat fish filets at least 6x/week.

I haven't noticed any particular effect on cholesterol but I haven't checked for several years. Nothing bad has happened so the fish oil must be the causative factor in the correlation...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #9

I take a 1200 mg softgel every day, apparently the same one GregLee takes. I used to take two, like he does, but I cut it back a few months ago just to see what happened.

I also eat fresh fish at least twice a week.

I can state quite unequivocally that between taking it, changing the dose, or skipping it for a couple of months, there has been absolutely no effect on my blood lipids, which I check regularly.

OK, that said, here's an anecdote. I have an acquaintance who is a nationally known and respected physician (pediatrician and prolifically published researcher). His line, which I have heard him use many times to various people, goes something like this:

"Do you take Omega-3?"
"If you do, you almost certainly don't take enough."

He, personally, says he takes 4 or 5 of the 1200 mg softgels a day. When pressed for the research, he just says "It's too complicated to go into, just trust me."

Needless to say, I find that unfulfilling, but I've seen enough studies to convince me that it's a good idea to supplement my diet at least a little.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:57 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

1000mg capsule every day I remember. Other than a daily low-dose aspirin, that's all I take. Well, to be honest, I'm also finishing off a bottle of multi-vitamins but I'm not going to continue that based on reading I've done after a different thread here suggested it wasn't worthwhile.

My joints feel better, but that could also be due to losing weight and stretching daily. My good cholesterol is higher. As I was just browsing I did see that increased bleeding is possible, so I wouldn't overdo it.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:37 PM   #11

I take 4 of the 1200mg softgels a day = 4800mg. I was taking 2400mg and my Dr. liked the results but said I may do even better if I doubled up. I also take a statin and niacin. I'm not sure what works for which numbers but so far I'm better in all areas than I was before.

I've been finding the fish oil caplets on sale and I also had some coupons. I think I'm stocked up for a few months now.

I like to eat all kinds of fish, too, and I don't mind the frozen if fresh is not available or it's priced too high. I'd eat fish 3 or 4 times a week but my DH can only tolerate twice a week at the most. Salmon, cod, tilapia, pangasius, trout, swordfish, haddock....YUM
Old 11-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I take a 1000 mg capsule daily and eat fish filets at least 6x/week.

I haven't noticed any particular effect on cholesterol but I haven't checked for several years. Nothing bad has happened so the fish oil must be the causative factor in the correlation...
That's a fair amount of fish + oil. "Nothing bad has happened " - does that mean no gills or fins, or would you consider those to be net benefits?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:25 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I take a 1200 mg softgel every day, apparently the same one GregLee takes. I used to take two, like he does, but I cut it back a few months ago just to see what happened.

OK, that said, here's an anecdote. I have an acquaintance who is a nationally known and respected physician (pediatrician and prolifically published researcher). His line, which I have heard him use many times to various people, goes something like this:

"Do you take Omega-3?"
"If you do, you almost certainly don't take enough."

He, personally, says he takes 4 or 5 of the 1200 mg softgels a day. When pressed for the research, he just says "It's too complicated to go into, just trust me."
Does he ever say what this does for him? I guess it is harmless enough that there is little risk in taking a large dose. Also, to be sure I understand, in 5 of these 1200 mg softgels one would get (5*360mg )of O-3, or 1800 mg of omega-3. Is this correct?

When using the liquid oil, cost is not a problem as a big bottle is still pretty cheap.

ha
Old 11-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #14

When I had a checkup the Dr. said my cholestrol was a tad bit over the line and to up the fish oil pill of 1,000 mg. from 2 to 3 a day. I'm doing it, but I think Nords and his 6 fish meals a day are probably a better way of doing it. Course, he's in Hawaii surrounded by fish and most of the rest of us here aren't.
So, I am taking 3,000 mg. of fish oil tablets a day now...eh, it's ok.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE=Sue J;998852I've been finding the fish oil caplets on sale and I also had some coupons. I think I'm stocked up for a few months now.

I like to eat all kinds of fish, too, and I don't mind the frozen if fresh is not available or it's priced too high. I'd eat fish 3 or 4 times a week but my DH can only tolerate twice a week at the most. Salmon, cod, tilapia, pangasius, trout, swordfish, haddock....YUM[/QUOTE]

Be careful about how much you stock... Rancidity is a constant danger. Let me Google that for you:

"fish oil" "shelf life" - Google Search

Not all fish are created equal. I, personally, tend to avoid (no, I absolutely avoid) Atlantic Salmon & Tilapia from anywhere -- the term "farmed" as relating to fish just turns me off.

Mark Bittman, a year or so ago, had an article in the NYTimes that expressed his frustration with finding good seafood. If interested I could look it up.

Here are a couple of URLs that can give a person looking for seafood some useful help:

Seafood Watch Program | A Consumer's Guide to Sustainable Seafood | Monterey Bay Aquarium

Sustainable Seafood - Buy Seafood Online

Nords, the #1 thing about Hawaii that I always miss is Poki. I could live on it... every meal, every day. (Oh! Now, I think on it , I have for weeks at a time.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Does he ever say what this does for him? I guess it is harmless enough that there is little risk in taking a large dose. Also, to be sure I understand, in 5 of these 1200 mg softgels one would get (5*360mg )of O-3, or 1800 mg of omega-3. Is this correct?

ha
A very good question. I've never been able to pin him down on exactly what he takes or what he recommends.

As an aside, I've long admired Dr. Ken Cooper's work, and his product seems to recommend 1,400 mg of Omega-3, with 1 g of EPA and 200 mg of DHA per day.

That's similar to your OP, so I wonder exactly what "preparation" you're taking.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
A very good question. I've never been able to pin him down on exactly what he takes or what he recommends.

As an aside, I've long admired Dr. Ken Cooper's work, and his product seems to recommend 1,400 mg of Omega-3, with 1 g of EPA and 200 mg of DHA per day.

That's similar to your OP, so I wonder exactly what "preparation" you're taking.
NOW (or Carlson's) molecularly distilled lemon Flavored fish oil.

Ha
Old 11-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #18

I take 2 tablets of LOVAZA daily which is a perscription of fish oil. It's supposed to be much purer and has no mercury.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

One capsule a day. Fish oil in liquid form would not go down for me. I like salmon and should eat it more often.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:57 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

We have salmon regularly. One way the Mrs. cooks the salmon is skin side up (not down) until about 10 minutes before it's done, then she removes the skin (gives it to the dog) and pours cream over it and puts it back in the oven for the last 10 mins. It's really very good.

Leftover salmon for lunch goes on top of a fresh salad with some Kalamata olives, some olive oil and vineger...mmmmmmmmmmm.

Another good source for omega is sardines. There are sardines and there are sardines. I like King Oscar and a brand from Morocco called Granadaisa. Again...it goes on top of a crispy salad with olives, olive oil and vinegar. Great for lunch. I'll bet if there're any french member on the forum we could get some good tips on preparing fresh sardines.

Flax seed is another one.
keegs is offline   Reply With Quote