Join Early Retirement Today

How much should you drink?
Old 01-15-2007, 07:29 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How much should you drink?

The subject of who drinks and how much came up several months ago. Here's an interesting article about a recent study.

http://aolsvc.health.webmd.aol.com/c...130/117769.htm

Cheers.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: How much should you drink?
Old 01-15-2007, 07:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

4 drinks? Awesome! I can get my buzz on without feeling guilty!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:42 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I just read sg's post after starting a poll regarding drinking habits under the Health category. I hope I didn't duplicate something done here recently

I've often heard recommendations of having 2 drinks/day (for men) but 4 seems a wee much. Maybe I'm more moderate than I give myself credit for

califdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:43 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Good post.

The ever-increasing information on alcohol and longevity presents somewhat of a problem for health advice: alcohol causes so much damage to so many people that no one wants to advise that we increase our intake. Yet for those with no damage, no alcoholism, etc. it is likely that the proverbial 1-1.5 servings for men, about 2/3 that for women per day is probably beneficial.

DW and I split a bottle of wine maybe 3 times a week, maybe 60/40 in my favor (asset allocation). Slowly, with dinner and lingering conversation. It is delightful and very much part of our ritual.

Total per week: probably 9 drinks for me, maybe 6 for her. Sometimes much less, rarely more at a weekend nondriving party. Been doing it for years, since the nest emptied. We avoided this with kids at home to circumvent the appearance of hypocrisy of drinking while we told them not to.

Probably wouldn't want to go higher, but so far it is all good.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:51 PM   #5

I was a major wino wine connoisseur and found that indulging a little too much elevated my blood pressure (150-160 over 80-90). It's been almost a year without wine or alcohol of any kind and my BP now averages 105-110 over 60-70.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:28 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
I was a major wino wine connoisseur and found that indulging a little too much elevated my blood pressure (150-160 over 80-90). It's been almost a year without wine or alcohol of any kind and my BP now averages 105-110 over 60-70.
Yeah, Cube, too bad if it's something you enjoyed.

Some studies indicate that up to 10-12% of all cases of hypertension are due to alcohol, and it doesn't have to be alot of alcohol in susceptible people. You may be able to experiment and find the amount above which your BP goes up, but the safest course is just to abstain as you suggest.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:54 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat

I'm not totally sure the alcohol caused my elevated BP years ago, but along with too much booze came a lousy lifestyle and no exercise. That all changed.....about 14 years ago. BP and health....much better now. Gee, I wonder if there was a connection?
lowflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:11 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

I think some of the advantage might be that having a glass (or two) of wine with dinner means you actually took the time and trouble to 'dine' instead of just stuffing in some food.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:40 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan
I think some of the advantage might be that having a glass (or two) of wine with dinner means you actually took the time and trouble to 'dine' instead of just stuffing in some food.
The drawback is that after two beers I can't stay awake after dinner, I sleep crappy that night, and I'm hung over the next morning... it just doesn't mix with 3x martial-arts evenings a week, either.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:42 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am really interested in the cabernet and chocolate diet.

I remember the old pope who attributed his long life (what, 40 years at the time? ) to drinking a bottle of wine every night, except when he was ill. Then it was two bottles.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:43 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
I remember the old pope who attributed his long life (what, 40 years at the time? ) to drinking a bottle of wine every night, except when he was ill. Then it was two bottles.
After a few years of that pickling process, how could they tell he was dead?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:28 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by califdreamer
I just read sg's post after starting a poll regarding drinking habits under the Health category. I hope I didn't duplicate something done here recently

I've often heard recommendations of having 2 drinks/day (for men) but 4 seems a wee much. Maybe I'm more moderate than I give myself credit for
Four drinks usuallly makes me "wee" much... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:31 AM   #13

Two glasses of red wine nightly, with my evening meal. Hopefully, it increases longevity, but even if it doesn't, two glasses are about right.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:37 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I had two glasses of wine last night. Unfortunately I was using the same water glass I was drinking water out of earlier in the evening.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:20 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The drawback is that after two beers I can't stay awake after dinner, I sleep crappy that night, and I'm hung over the next morning...
Think lunch.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:24 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny
I was using the same water glass I was drinking water out of earlier in the evening.
Wow - changing water into wine :

Hasen't been done in a couple of thousand years...

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:28 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I used to be a bit of a wine conno-sewer, but consider this: DW bought a 4 liter bottle of Carlo Rossi burgundy because they were out of the smaller 1 liter bottles. So I've been working my way through this stuff, and it tastes significantly worse than when I first opened it.

And here's the interesting part (whispering): I'm developing a taste for bad oxidized wine.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:34 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

There is a Polish story about a king that "regretfully" refused an invitation from the Pope to go on a Crusade, since there was said to be no beer available in the Holy Land and the king needed beer every day to live. So drinking can improve your life span.
Robert the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:39 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
And here's the interesting part (whispering): I'm developing a taste for bad oxidized wine.
DBYM
califdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:52 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
You've achieved Nirvana Al...you've dumbed down your palate. Now go buy yourself a case lot of two buck chuck, which will taste nothing less than delicious! When that starts tasting weird, grab a box of franzia vintners select. At least that wont oxidize.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote