Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

How often do you go to the doctors in a year if you are NOT sick?
Old 06-12-2019, 07:19 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How often do you go to the doctors in a year if you are NOT sick?

My doctor (GP) wants to see me every 3 months need it or not. All he does is spend 5 mins asking how I am, renews any prescriptions I may need and then proceeds to bill the insurance for $227.

As a result I have stopped going as I feel fine and my BP is in Check. I check it every day at home.

I do see my Cardiologist Tech every 6 months to get my Pacemaker checked as it is due for replacement next year.

Lately I have not been to see my GP for 9 months and he refuses to renew my prescriptions without an office visit. Not an issue yet as I have about 6 months supply of my BP meds.

Whaddyall think? I am tempted to change docs.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2019, 07:23 AM   #2

More info needed. 3 months sounds like a lot for a totally healthy person, but for someone with multiple scripts, a pacemaker, and BP that needs to be monitored...idk if it's that bad?

Maybe split the difference with him and go every 6 months. I have no scripts or issues and I go annually.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:26 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Once a year...annual physical.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:27 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
More info needed. 3 months sounds like a lot for a totally healthy person, but for someone with multiple scripts, a pacemaker, and BP that needs to be monitored...idk if it's that bad?

Maybe split the difference with him and go every 6 months. I have no scripts or issues and I go annually.
All info in OP.

Pacemaker, for electrical issue not blockage or anything like that, just congenital AV node failure. Has not been adjusted for 10+ years but coming up to it's due by date. See Cardiologist for that.

Generic BP meds (Free at local Supermarket). BP in check.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:33 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I go once a year for a physical, but I don't have blood pressure problems or a pacemaker. I would ask the doctor to explain why you should go every three months. Changing doctors is always an option.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:37 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Last time was 7 years ago for a post retirement checkup. Before that...probably 25 years ago for an employment medical.

Plan to go for another checkup in the fall.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:38 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

My preferred/favorite doctor retired about 5 years ago. I went to him once a year (or as needed) before he retired. No testing of any sort, unless I complained about something. He took my temp, BP and listen to my heart. Then we talked for about 10 to 15 mins about "whatever". He was more from the school of "if it ain't broken, don't fix it".

Have seen three different doctors since then, just to get my BP meds renewed. They all want to do chest xrays, ekg's, blood work, etc, etc, each time. Still looking for another one with the old school philosophy.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:40 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Don't, unless I have an issue. There my best to live healthy and take one day at a time.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:47 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I think Annually would be a good approach in my case for GP visit. I understand they may need to still justify the BP meds even though I have been on them for 20 years. Pacer check is a different matter and not really applicable to this post, I was aiming at GP if there are no current issues.

One other reason I may change is because his office staff cannot seem to get things right, billing, coding and they call me for tests I do not need, eg. Colonoscopy when I just had one 2 years ago and got told by the guy that did it that I do not need another for 5 years and that kind of thing. They make a lot of mistakes and do not always follow up on requests, i.e. refills between appointments etc. or get the quantities incorrect, issue a soft script, when I need a hard one, that kind of thing.

They also call every 3 months to remind me to make an appointment. I just tell them I do not need one.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:52 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I think Annually would be a good approach in my case for GP visit. I understand they may need to still justify the BP meds even though I have been on them for 20 years. Pacer check is a different matter and not really applicable to this post, I was aiming at GP if there are no current issues.

One other reason I may change is because his office staff cannot seem to get things right, billing, coding and they call me for tests I do not need, eg. Colonoscopy when I just had one 2 years ago and got told by the guy that did it that I do not need another for 5 years and that kind of thing. They make a lot of mistakes and do not always follow up on requests, i.e. refills between appointments etc. or get the quantities incorrect, issue a soft script, when I need a hard one, that kind of thing.

They also call every 3 months to remind me to make an appointment. I just tell them I do not need one.
Sounds to me you need to find a new doctor.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:26 AM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

I was going every three months for awhile . They had a sign at the office that said if you were on so many medications Medicare required a visit every three months .That must have changed because i am now on every six months . Two BP meds and inhalers for COPD .I also see a pulmonary doctor yearly .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:31 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

My internal medicine doctor wants to see me every 6 months. I was there this morning for meds to fight a cold.

My endocrinologist sees me every 3 months because I'm on an insulin pump and Medicare requires me to see him quarterly and document my blood sugar levels 3x per day.

I do see a cardiologist yearly, but he just does an EKG and sends me on my way.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:36 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I see my regular physician and my cardiologist once a year. Unless something comes up from those annual exams and tests, that is it. If something does come up, either one usually has me follow up in 3 (only once) or six months, depending on what was found in the annual exam. But that is about it.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:41 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Several times a year! They always come up with an excuse to have me come back.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:51 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Twice a year to my Primary.
Twice a year to the Eye Doctor.
Twice a year to the Dermatologist.
Three times a year to the Periodontist.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:57 AM   #16

Once a year for a wellness exam, blood work, and flu shot. I have high blood pressure, so any time we change meds, there's a follow-up 30 days later.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:10 AM   #17

Twice. Once for an annual blood test that is required for a prescription I am on. And once to a Urologist for the never-popular prostate check. In fact , for the blood test I don't even see the doctor. I just show up, they pull the blood, the end. By law here, in order to be considered "under a doctor's care" to get a prescription I do need to actually say "hello" every 2 years whether I'm sick or not. SO I guess that averages out to 2.5 times per year when I am not sick or not otherwise scheduling something like a colonoscopy.
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:16 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

No schedule - last visit to a doc (for routine blood work) was 4-5 years ago. No meds or known health issues. I do make an effort to eat healthy (low carb) and exercise regularly.
Lakedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:17 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Once a year for a check up to get my prescriptions renewed. Also go to the dermatologist once a year for a skin check.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:21 AM   #20

Roughly every two years. If I ain't broke...
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote