Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-27-2008, 02:34 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I recently read the version for women and my DH just finished reading the male version ( I read it also and the books are very similar). A great book for retirees. I work out aerobically 5 - 6 days a week and work in a little yoga on the side for flexibilty. I need to fit in some strength training for my upper body. I recently signed up for a week long kayak bootcamp in June (kedging trick from the book). This will provide me the motivation I need to hit the weights!
I'm still working fulltime (until 2/2009), but have come to the realization that taking care of my aging body could be a full time job!
Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2008, 08:38 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I usually workout 7 times a week. I may skip a day, but some days I go twice. Mostly running, bicycling, and hiking. Unfortunately, I've gained "a few" pounds over the last 3 years when I changed assignments at work, so I don't go far and I don't go fast. I would like to get back into competition shape. Maybe it's time to join Wednesday Weigh Ins.
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
But I may skip a day if I'm doing strenuous yard work
I keep a log of my workouts (which, over the course of a year, generally average about 5.5 days per week). During the lawnmowing season, I count mowing my lawn (2+ hours of walking behind a fairly fast moving power mower) as a "workout". As a matter of fact, I discovered a couple of years ago that I need to take the summer off from the gym where I'm a member because of things like yardwork, wanting to hike, paddle, etc. It seemed silly to be inside working out when there were outdoor things I wanted to do which would give me excercise and be more fun. The challenge is keeping up with the weights at home. Last summer I did pretty well but weightlifting is my least favorite excercise, so the discipine of going to a gym helps me keep up with it.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:41 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
High pulse rate , a lot of muttering under your breath , wearing mesh outfits at a health club , walking or running long lengths and not because your car broke down , swimming like a shark is behind you . raising an infant or having s-- like a teenager !
And what do you do the next day?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:50 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

I fast walk with the DW every other day, about a 15 minute mile pace for 3.8 miles. Alternate days, I run 5 miles with my pulse in the 135-140 range mostly. My pace is pathetic but very comfortable. Weights briefly (curls and shoulder presses) on days I run only. We have a wobble board I step on for a minute each time I enter my study.

If by "enough" you mean from a health standpoint, you'll come close to that with simply doing moderate exercise (brisk walking) for 20-30 minutes 5 days or so per week. More strenuous regimens help a little more (cardiovascular-wise) but not that much.

OTOH, if your goal is cosmetic, competitive, or to get the endorphin rush, the sky is the limit.

Pulse monitors are the best metric for a goal of cardio, safety, and consistencyl. They take into account exactly what is going on with you at that moment and keep you on track. Hot out? Run to your target pulse, not the pace you ran yesterday when it was 10 degrees cooler. Or the opposite: slack off your goal, and the heart rate doesn't lie.

I also think it's prudent for senior athletes doing 80% or more of their max predicted rate to keep an eye on unexpected pulse rates as an early warning sign to back off and maybe get it checked out.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:22 PM   #26
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post

I also think it's prudent for senior athletes doing 80% or more of their max predicted rate to keep an eye on unexpected pulse rates as an early warning sign to back off and maybe get it checked out.

Funny thing is my SO's ex goes to the same gym and she thinks we are pals so she usually takes the treadmill next to me and guess what my heart rate climbs plus it is the longest 35 minutes of my life . She is nice but I do not want to bond with her and she does not get it .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:38 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Funny thing is my SO's ex goes to the same gym and she thinks we are pals so she usually takes the treadmill next to me and guess what my heart rate climbs plus it is the longest 35 minutes of my life . She is nice but I do not want to bond with her and she does not get it .
You could get an ipod. Music soothes the savage beast Might keep your mind on the workout.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:09 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

every other day, but at least four days a week if something interrupts. Fitness walking, 2-3 miles, and weight training. Biggest problem is how long it takes to do it, but that'll get better later this year when I FIRE...
Old 04-30-2008, 11:30 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I go every day during the week (and then go the pub on Fridays, Alan).
Weekends it depends on what else is happening, but I try to get in some kind of exercise, even if it is household chores or chasing the dogs around.
Could certainly do better!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:15 PM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I go every day during the week (and then go the pub on Fridays, Alan).
Weekends it depends on what else is happening, but I try to get in some kind of exercise, even if it is household chores or chasing the dogs around.
Could certainly do better!
apart from in the heat of the summer I often back from the pub - 4 miles -

The weekend exercise usually includes a cycle ride to a coffee shop for breakfast.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:43 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

3 days Gym circuit weight training. Generally 3 to 4 days cardio. Either 30 minutes on a machine after the weight training, or an 1 hour walk with poles or 30-45 minutes ocean swimming.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:00 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
apart from in the heat of the summer I often back from the pub - 4 miles -

The weekend exercise usually includes a cycle ride to a coffee shop for breakfast.
Ah, yes, I remember the days when we weren't a 20 minute car ride from the nearest server of cold beverages! Golly I miss Folly Beach! Although I can't say we were much healthier back then, we just drank more to compensate!

Be careful biking home though--we had cops on Folly that would stop you for BUI.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:18 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Here's the strength-training workout that I do twice a week. It only takes 35 minutes, requires only dumbbells and a chin-up bar, and gets the major muscle groups.

WeightLiftingRecordSheet.zip
Old 05-01-2008, 05:00 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Al - 2 questions

1. On your spreadsheet you have columns for weight, both left and right? Do you use different weights for each dumbbell? Or are those columns for different number of reps for each arm?

2. I've been thinking of installing a chin-up bar. I was thinking of a closet rod type thing suspended from the basement ceiling. I also looked at a few sporting goods places and found nothing. What do you use?
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:28 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
Define "working out".

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

The book Strength Training Past 50 relates a study that showed that doing strength training 3 times/week had very little added benefit over strength training 2 times/week.
I'm waiting for the next study, they keep getting better. Between this, and all the 'moderate drinking is good for you' studies, I keep getting healthier and healthier as time goes on.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote