How to get help for crushing, chronic sciatica

Two exercises I do, one is just laying stomach down on one of those exercise balls, - the gravity opens the hips up gently. Then on your back, put a soft basket ball size ball (or pillow) between your knees - feet on floor, and gently press your knees together, again, it pushes your hips out and releases some of the tension on your sciatic nerve.

We are now into day 3 since the latest epidural, the increase dosage of Gapatentin, and the increased duration use of the TENS unit. While the lower and mid back are still a bit tender the leg pain is 95% gone! Wow....hard to believe after so much time of miserable almost unbearable pain. Go back for evaluation with docs on 12/31 and have PT again on 12/14. Keeping my fingers crossed....if we could maintain this the ability to cope is there....hoping for long term pain mgt success! :dance:

Sounds like you're getting a synergistic effect with the combinations. I've had a flare-up of nerve related pain after a hiatus of a few years. The neurologist upped the gabapentin from the previous 100 mg (yes, an amount that low first worked wonders) to 600 mg and now added a muscle relaxant at night. But the muscle relaxant is to be just for one week at a time.

The neurologist pointed out that somewhat like combinations of certain meds can be deadly the *combined* (not just increased dosage of one) gabapentin/muscle relaxant may be more likely to "trick" the brain into not firing the nerves.

Also find that introducing other sensations (like your TENS unit ?) are very helpful; anything to break the original transmission chain.

No real diagnosis or disease process here. A few years back the neurologist muttered something about potassium channels and high sensitivity. And she had to point out that like the rest of us our nerves do age. Goes without saying that stress makes it worse even if it isn't the precipitator.

Other than the meds, what I have found helpful is to dive into the internet to get suggestions that reflect consultations with a variety of doctors. Make a list of ideas; try them one by one until something clicks. Other than the quick on-line forays, then stay away from internet forums. What works for me is to get my brain to "forget" the nerve pathways.

Thanks to all. Yes...another good day. Going for PT on SAT again. Keeping my fingers crossed. Maybe a new beginning without pain!

Back
Top Bottom