Join Early Retirement Today

HSA custodians anything better than Fidelity?
Old 03-06-2021, 02:16 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

HSA custodians anything better than Fidelity?

I moved our HSA from Key Bank to Fidelity, where I can invest in anything their brokerage account offers.

No fees. Much higher returns. All is well (today).

When I took an in-service 401k rollover I was assured there would be no fees on the HSA.

Rather than doing a Roth conversion, I’ve now stopped contributing to the 401k to build up our after-tax accounts.

I’m wondering if anyone has found anything like Fidelity’s HSA (or better than) anywhere else?

I’m expecting than when I retire with an empty 401k they’re going to start charging me, based on the “fine print” on the web site.
a60dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2021, 02:28 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fidelity's HSA product has no fees whatsoever for everyone. There may be fees depending what you buy inside of the HSA (bonds, funds which have transaction fees), but there are no administration, maintenance, or other fees for having the HSA.

I'm not sure what your fine print indicates, but if there are any fees, then you'd simply open a new Fidelity HSA and roll your current one into it.

You may want to call and ask about it before making any assumptions or extra work for yourself which may be unnecessary...you may not be interpreting the fine print correctly.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:09 PM   #3

My HSA has been with Optum Bank for several years and have been happy with their service, no monthly fee if balance over $5K and they have a decent selection of funds (including Vanguard) to invest in.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:31 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm not following how the 401K is related to this. It's been good for me but all I've done is yearly contributions. If they start charging fees I'll look around for other options. They were definitely the best option when I switched to them, but you have to wonder if they just wanted to squash the competition so they could do what they want to when most of them dropped off.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I'm not following how the 401K is related to this. It's been good for me but all I've done is yearly contributions. If they start charging fees I'll look around for other options. They were definitely the best option when I switched to them, but you have to wonder if they just wanted to squash the competition so they could do what they want to when most of them dropped off.
OP may be referring to the fine print at the following link, as it relates to employers offering Fidelity HSA. However, for everyone not on an employer plan, there are no fees - as shown in the main portions of the page. So, my prior recommendation about simply opening a new Fidelity HSA and rolling from the Fidelity employer HSA in to the new one seems like a valid approach:

https://www.fidelity.com/go/hsa/why-hsa

Quote:
3. Fidelity does charge a recordkeeping fee to employers who offer a Fidelity HSA to their employees. This is a common fee charged by HSA providers. Employers may choose to pass that fee on to their employees. At Fidelity, that fee may be up to $48/year, but it could be reduced or waived depending on the HSA balance. Zero account minimums and zero account fees apply to Fidelity Brokerage accounts only. Account minimums may apply to certain account types (e.g., managed accounts) and/or the purchase of some Fidelity mutual funds that have a minimum investment requirement. If you choose to invest in mutual funds, underlying fund expenses still apply. There may also be commissions, interest charges, and other expenses associated with transacting or holding specific investments (e.g., mutual funds), or selecting certain account features or types (e.g., managed accounts) Additionally, accounts that have been opened through, or are serviced by, an intermediary, or in connection with your workplace benefits, may incur additional fees or restrictions. See www.fidelity.com/commissions for more information and/or the fund's prospectus for details.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote