Join Early Retirement Today

HSA in 2014?
Old 03-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

HSA in 2014?

Have any rules or guidance been released showing whether or not there will be HDHPs next year? If not, what becomes of my nice HSA Account I've built up? I know the first thing that went into effect is the penalty is now 20%
chasesfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another poster in a previous thread stated that IRS doesn't give limits until late April for the following year. Hopefully it will carry on as is plus an inflation increase. Since high deductibles will be on the new menu (though mostly lower amounts) I don't see why they will not be allowed, and The Act itself did not terminate HSA's either.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I wasn't sure if HDHPs would even be on the government approved "menu".
chasesfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
Administrator

HSA should continue at current levels. HHS recently released final rules regarding maximum OOP costs and they are consistent with the deductibles associated ith current HSA plans. See here Feds Outline What Insurers Must Cover, Down To Polyp Removal – Capsules - The KHN Blog

Edit to add: the second part of the question, what becomes of the funds in an HSA account - they continue to grow tax free and can be used for qualified medical expenses, or invested.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasesfish
I wasn't sure if HDHPs would even be on the government approved "menu".
Not in the present form we have now. The "medical loss ratio" mandates may muck HSA's up if I understand it correctly, so the situation concerning HSA's is still fluid. I am trying to be optimistic though, especially short term.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB
HSA should continue at current levels. HHS recently released final rules regarding maximum OOP costs and they are consistent with the deductibles associated ith current HSA plans. See here Feds Outline What Insurers Must Cover, Down To Polyp Removal – Capsules - The KHN Blog
I enjoyed the comments section. Porky would have been forced into action if they were posted here.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I enjoyed the comments section. Porky would have been forced into action if they were posted here.
I've never read the comments after the news at KFF. I just read the article and move on. Saw your post and looked at them, and probably won't read them again. Some people really need to get a life.

Just in case, my comment is not at all directed toward you.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Reading the comments section of just about any website is often analogous to popping the top off a septic tank and having a look.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Reading the comments section of just about any website is often analogous to popping the top off a septic tank and having a look.
Ewww. Reminds me of the audio forums back in the day ('00). Discussions involving amplifiers or speakers often fell into scatological terms to describe other people's equipment or hearing ability. I left them behind because of that.