Join Early Retirement Today

HSA United HealthCare
Old 10-02-2007, 01:26 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

HSA United HealthCare

Hi,

We have been using COBRA via United HealthCare for the past 12 months. Need to get permanent coverage.

Is there any benefit/liability going directly to United HealthCare for an HSA policy?

In the year we have been covered, I haven't needed a doctor or visit to a hospital? Does this give them a warm fuzzy feeling that I am in good health. I would guess it would..

DW did have a shot in the knee due to som inflamation but with HSA that might not matter.

I am a bit concerned about going thru a broker on the open market and from what I have read, United is fairly priced and has decent coverage.

I am in SC.

Any advice, words of wisdom.

Thx

w
wallygator69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2007, 01:49 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Most likely you'll still need to be fully re-rated even with the same insurer.

I don't personally know of any health insurer which won't treat you as a "new customer" when it comes to moving from group to individual coverage. I don't think any amount of "good claims history" with them (to use a term from auto/home insurance) will convince them to reduce your "burden of proof" with respect to good health. If it did, the laws of adverse selection would indicate that more of the sick would stay with them after losing group coverage and the healthy would look elsewhere.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:28 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

I would choose www.goldenrulehealth.com if you wanted United Healthcare. Golden Rule is a part of United Healthcare. Buying through Golden Rule should make your plan more transportable to other states, as they have contracts with the other United Healthcare firms. (It appears that the may have fixed the integration problems. However, I would start my application at Golden Rule to be on the safe side)

I have been dealing with a broker and have been happy. I do not see a downside with dealing with a good broker. Of course, I did talk with one broker that had no clue.

Oliver

PS I would indicate on the application that I was getting my own HSA account.

Golden Rule, American Medical Security, and PacifiCare are proud to be members of the UnitedHealthcare family of businesses. UnitedHealthcare is an innovative leader in the health and well-being industry and a part of UnitedHealth Group that currently serves nearly 70 million individuals nationwide, with products and services to help people achieve better wellness.

Golden Rule Insurance Company has been a leader in the individual health market for more than 60 years and offers a wide variety of affordable health insurance plans, including Health Savings Accounts (HSAs), a plan they pioneered. Serving individuals and families is our primary focus. Because we are dedicated to this market, we have developed a unique understanding of the health insurance needs of individuals and families. This knowledge is reflected throughout your experience with Golden Rule -- in our high quality products, our handling of claims, and our customer service. Golden Rule is rated "A" (Excellent) by A.M. Best, independent analysts of the insurance industry. This rating indicates financial strength and stability.

American Medical Security Life Insurance Company provides adaptable, competitive health insurance plans for individuals, families, and small businesses. American Medical Security Life Insurance Company is rated A- (Excellent) by A.M. Best, independent analysts of the insurance industry. This rating is based on financial and operating performance. AMS offers diverse plan designs, allowing customers to enjoy the flexibility of a choice of insurance plans and options.

PacifiCare Health Systems serves more than 3 million health plan members and approximately 10 million specialty plan members nationwide. As one of the nation's largest consumer health organizations, PacifiCare offers a variety of consumer-driven health care and insurance products for individuals, employers, and medicare beneficiaries. PacifiCare's mission is to create long-term shareholder value as a leading consumer health organization committed to making people's lives healthier and more secure.
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote