Join Early Retirement Today

HSA withdrawal
Old 10-28-2019, 07:42 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

HSA withdrawal

I have a Fidelity HSA. I haven't called customer service yet but was wondering does anybody have an HSA from there and how do you make a withdrawal to make a medical payment? Thanks

ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2019, 07:50 AM   #2

Can I just transfer the amount needed for medical bill to my bank account and then write check to hospital? I just saw that I will receive a 1099-SA form for the amount withdrawn.

ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:53 AM   #3

I don't have an HSA with Fidelity but I w/d automatically into my checking account. I always pay medical bills myself w/ CC. Then, reimburse myself to my checking account. That way, I get the points on the CC. I can also make sure I'm paying the right doctor/hospital/lab. I'd rather correct any mistakes with CC than messing with HSA. I always double check, date, amount, and make notes in the HSA account.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
Can I just transfer the amount needed for medical bill to my bank account and then write check to hospital? I just saw that I will receive a 1099-SA form for the amount withdrawn.

Yes.

Based on other withdrawals I have made from an HSA, you keep the documentation. If you ever get audited, you need to prove to the IRS that it was for the correct purpose. It is on the honor system.

An HSA is not an Healthcare Reimbursement plan.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
This is how I always manage it. I make the payments out of pocket (use a credit card for cash back/points where you can), then reimburse myself by requesting it and having my checking account linked. I haven't done this with Fidelity yet, but assume they all work kind of the same way.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:26 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I have an HSA with Bank of America and use the debit card for the account to pay medical expenses. If I get a discount for cash, I write a check and then transfer that amount form HSA to linked personal checking account.
"If, then, I were asked for the most important advice I could give, that which I considered to the most useful to the men of our century, I should simply say: in the name of God, stop a moment, cease your work, look around you." Leo Tolstoy
blueskyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
This is how I always manage it. I make the payments out of pocket (use a credit card for cash back/points where you can), then reimburse myself by requesting it and having my checking account linked. I haven't done this with Fidelity yet, but assume they all work kind of the same way.
Aerides, I'm not indicating your method is wrong, but just offering the way I handle it as it is a little different. I just pay it out of my taxable assets an leave my hsa invested. I keep a record of medical expenses after the first hsa was started and what expenses were used for tax deduction. So far I have not used my hsa to pay for medical expenses. My plan is to use the has to help with medical/LTC expenses later in life. However I can claim past expenses that have not been used for deductions, were after the first hsa and were not already used for medical expenses. This is kind of like a healthcare roth
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:11 AM   #8

Yes that's fine too. You can technically leave your HSA funds where they are and reimburse yourself years later - as long as you keep the records - the eligibility of using the funds doesn't have an expiry date.

I have two HSA accounts - one from working and one from retirement that I use each year to help manage my magi.

My old HSA isn't huge, and it has a small monthly fee, so I'm interested in drawing that down as I build up my post-retirement new one with Fido.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:19 AM   #9

I requested a Fidelity HSA credit card. Easy as can be.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:22 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Out of curiosity, anyone have any first hand knowledge of anyone getting in hot water with the IRS over HSA withdrawals? I've reimbursed myself annually over the past decade for our LTC insurance premiums so never worried about being able to clearly show the HSA withdrawal was for eligible expenses. But I've always wondered if anyone, maybe someone who suddenly withdrew a large sum, ever got audited as a result?

You may not know it but I'm quite famous

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:56 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Fidelity will send you a checkbook for your HSA at no cost. I write a check to myself for whatever expenses we want to have reimbursed and photo-deposit it to our Cash Management Account. I keep the check with copies of the payment receipts in our current year tax file. Old fashioned I know, but I still like having a paper trail.

In the past four years we have never had to provide proof, but the receipts and matching check should be sufficient if we're asked for it.

Brian
BrianB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:07 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

They let you request a debit card - that’s another option.

I’ll probably request a checkbook. But most of my expenses will be paid via bill pay from my HSA account. In particular Medicare premiums auto paid monthly. That also has an advantage of record keeping within the one account showing medical providers.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Out of curiosity, anyone have any first hand knowledge of anyone getting in hot water with the IRS over HSA withdrawals? I've reimbursed myself annually over the past decade for our LTC insurance premiums so never worried about being able to clearly show the HSA withdrawal was for eligible expenses. But I've always wondered if anyone, maybe someone who suddenly withdrew a large sum, ever got audited as a result?

In regards to withdrawals, youíre pretty much on the honor system if youíre not using a debit card. Contributions are reported via form 8889. Iím not sure what would trigger an audit but itís my guess where your spending is significantly higher than deposits and you havenít reached 65. As long as you have backup your golden.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:59 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I'm with HSA bank and use the card. When I check the activity the payee (doctor or dentist or pharmacy) is right there. I don't keep records.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:40 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I've never heard of anyone being audited. My previous employer sponsored HSA provider nanny-ed me to death for proof on every withdrawal. Since I left them, I've had three different HSA providers and they leave it up to me to document what the money was spent on.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 04:27 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I've never heard of anyone being audited..
I would guess it's a matter if the amounts taken out raise the flags. I have accumulated $40,000 in medical expenses over many years that I can draw from my HSA at any time. If I withdraw all of that all in one year, I imagine that I'll need to be ready for the IRS to ask questions.
Smitty700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 04:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty700 View Post
I would guess it's a matter if the amounts taken out raise the flags. I have accumulated $40,000 in medical expenses over many years that I can draw from my HSA at any time. If I withdraw all of that all in one year, I imagine that I'll need to be ready for the IRS to ask questions.
Maybe. Abut 30 years ago I reported my employer to the IRS for failing to pay SS taxes. They asked me if it was over $25K in taxes. Since it was not, he said they were not too worried about it.

From what I hear, they are even less concerned. They need to justify the hours spent compared to the money taken in.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:26 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Fidelity issued me a HSA debit card upon my request. It seems like the easiest way to take withdrawals from the HSA with minimal record-keeping.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:45 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by swakyaby View Post
Fidelity issued me a HSA debit card upon my request. It seems like the easiest way to take withdrawals from the HSA with minimal record-keeping.
+1

Use the Fidelity HSA card for all medical expanses. The card tracks all payees and amounts so minimal record keeping needed. Also if I use HSA card at places like CVS, it is smart enough to only charge allowed expenses on HSA card. Then I need to pay the rest separately. So I don't need to figure out myself what is allowed since HSA can be used on many over the counter things.
GoodWishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:00 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty700 View Post
I have a little more than that, and have been saving medical receipts. I probably won't take it all in one year, but it's possible. If they do ask questions, I'm ready. I have a spreadsheet and all receipts.

RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote