Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-15-2017, 06:02 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Where were the immoral chicks when I was a lad?
Why one has to be a lad to care about immoral chicks?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2017, 06:19 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

What OTC things cost $100? That sounds pretty fishy. I had the flu shot and have had a 100-101 deg fever for the past 4 days. It's the flu and I didn't go see a doctor and I didn't spend $100 on ibuprofen either.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:34 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
What OTC things cost $100? That sounds pretty fishy. I had the flu shot and have had a 100-101 deg fever for the past 4 days. It's the flu and I didn't go see a doctor and I didn't spend $100 on ibuprofen either.
The things that were recommended by my doctors that I tried:

Tylenol
Sudafed (2 different types) (around $30)
2 different cough suppressants (around $20)
2 different nasal sprays Around $20)
Netti Pot and saline packets (this alone was about $30)
I used 3 bags of throat lozenges over 30 days

Why would you say this was "fishy"? Remember I have been sick for about a month, terrible sinus headache, nasal congestion, facial pain, cough, earache, not being able to sleep.

The antibiotic I was prescribed was $60 but insurance brought it down to around $10.

If you do have the flu, you might want to consider Tamiflu, it is very expensive too but it can reduce the severity of the flu. People can die of the flu.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:54 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
That would not work with my doctor--no way would he give me a prescription for antibiotics just in case it got bad in the future.
I used to do a lot of travel to third world countries. My doc always set me up with a regimen in case I needed to take them, with the promise that I'd call him first to discuss symptoms
Old 12-15-2017, 06:57 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

So you didn't have ANY of those OTC things around the house? You seem to have bought the most expensive versions of everything, too.

Tamiflu is a waste. It says right on the package insert that studies shows it reduces from flu symptoms from 7 days down to 5 days. It must also be started within the first 24 hours of onset of symptoms. No one goes to their doctor in the first 24 hours.

I had a flu shot which I recommend and my symptoms are not bad at all which I attribute to my flu shot. Yes, flu can kill. I am not one of those folks that flu kills.

Full disclosure: I sit on a NIH-sponsored scientific working group on infectious diseases. In my former job, almost every major pharmaceutical company was a client.

You need a new physician if you have been in terrible pain for a month.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:21 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So you didn't have ANY of those OTC things around the house? You seem to have bought the most expensive versions of everything, too.

Tamiflu is a waste. It says right on the package insert that studies shows it reduces from flu symptoms from 7 days down to 5 days. It must also be started within the first 24 hours of onset of symptoms. No one goes to their doctor in the first 24 hours.

I had a flu shot which I recommend and my symptoms are not bad at all which I attribute to my flu shot. Yes, flu can kill. I am not one of those folks that flu kills.

Full disclosure: I sit on a NIH-sponsored scientific working group on infectious diseases. In my former job, almost every major pharmaceutical company was a client.

No I did not have any of the OTC stuff on hand, it had been years since I even had a cold. I bought all the stuff at Walmart, tried to get generic when I could.
I am feeling much better since I started the antibiotics, thank you for your concern.

Maybe my physician ( who I otherwise really like and have been going to for years) has gone overboard on this anti-antibiotic thing. How would you suggest I look for a different physician that would be more liberal on antibiotics? I am 66 and on Medicare. Maybe I could keep my current physician for most stuff and find a new physician for antibiotic things? How would I find such a doctor? Going to Urgent Care does not work, I tried that and they would not prescribe antibiotics either.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:28 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

What difference does it make if you had it "laying" around the house, you still have to pay for it don't you? This was a pretty cold hearted post IMO...why exactly do you feel the need to challenge the OP?
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:29 PM   #28

Quote:
That's what I was thinking. I was surprised to read that the OP has an established relationship with a doctor. I think he/she let you down. I also think you were let down in the recommendations of the OTC treatments. I don't see anything there about zinc or significant doses of vitamins (A, C and D) and I don't see anything about a significant increase in water intake. I also don't see anything about chicken soup (seriously, salty warm water is very helpful).

I would get a new physician. I understand the antibiotic concern, but I, like the OP, have noticed that they seem to work. I don't like taking them and so when my Dr. many years ago prescribed them, I asked why? She said that when I get sick (the way I was, was somewhat common to me), I get both. Basically, I think all the extra nasty fluid retention (sinus and lungs) is a breading ground for bacteria. I never heard about the inflammation aspect mentioned in a post above. Anyway, I discuss it with my Dr and sometimes we use them and other times we don't. Bottom line is that unless I'm dying, I'm not going to accept feeling bad like described for more than a week, let alone two.
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:54 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I swear if things were that bad I'd go to a pet supply store and buy erythromycin- I once read a post from someone on a personal finance board who said she did that when she was poor and uninsured and got a sinus infection.
Fish Mox - Amoxicillin Fish Antibiotics in 250 mg and 500 mg - Free Shipping!
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:59 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, that's it- she'd said she bought an antibiotic meant for fish. You gotta do what you gotta do.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:17 PM   #31

Oh! I see how it is. The fish can have their antibiotics anytime they want, but the humans can't? Probably a PETA thing. Or, maybe it's something PETA should be made aware of.

On a serious note, wouldn't over use of animal antibiotics be just as concerning as human over use? Yet they can be bought and administered basically at will? That's a bit scary.
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:50 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Oh! I see how it is. The fish can have their antibiotics anytime they want, but the humans can't? Probably a PETA thing. Or, maybe it's something PETA should be made aware of.

On a serious note, wouldn't over use of animal antibiotics be just as concerning as human over use? Yet they can be bought and administered basically at will? That's a bit scary.
A lot of things can be bought for animals. Actually in many civilized countries medications can be bought without a prescription. I was in South Africa and lost some dental work. It wasn't convenient to see a dentist, a chemist sold me OTC codeine. It wasn't hydrocodone, more like Tylenol 3.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:52 PM   #33
Dryer sheet aficionado

It's no different than most things. If there weren't crooks, I wouldn't need to lock my doors; if people were tolerant, I could practice whatever religion I wished to (or not) without fear; if people drove sensibly, I wouldn't need to obey a speed limit; if antibiotics weren't overused (in animals, people, etc.), I could get mine and get over this cold! Bad apples!
Dancfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:55 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
My feeling is that I never was part of the over-prescription problem,so why should they over-compensate with me if I get sick? I may take antibiotics once every 5 years or so, if that. Even when my son was growing up I was careful. I remember once the pediatrician looked him over when he had some kind of bug and said that he didn't think DS needed an antibiotic but he could prescribe one. Just to make me feel better? Heck, no.

It reminds me a bit of the opioid pain reliever backlash- way over-prescribed and now people they could genuinely help have to jump through all kinds of hoops to get them.
++++
I totally agree, in fact I go farther and believe medicine like cars and knives and other things should be available to me to buy without "permission".
I am not a child, and I have enough medicine already in the house to kill myself, or destroy my kidney/liver, yet I manage to keep it all safe and sound.

If we as adults cannot be trusted to buy and use medicine without permission, then "they" should not allow us to buy a car, as cars kill many people and endanger society.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:29 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Look at the bright side, in a decade or two enough antibiotic resistant bacteria will have evolved to make this entire discussion moot.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:02 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

OP here, feeling better, still some stuffiness but the sinus headache has gone away!! Yah! I am continuing to take the antibiotic. I was talking to friends in the medical field and they say there has been some recent research published that concludes that antibiotics should NEVER be prescribed for a sinus infection! So the reluctance of the 2 doctors that I saw to prescribe an antibiotic may be the new trend. Yikes!

I don't know about the fish antibiotics...I would have to be really desperate (maybe I was!)

Some one suggested drinking more water, and I have been doing that, don't know that it has helped except I have to go to the bathroom a lot more. I have also been eating tons of chicken soup, I can't tell that it helped but I like the way it tastes.

One thing that did seem to help with stuffiness and I will continue to use is the Nettie Pot. I actually used the Neil Med squirt bottle. It does reduce stuffiness at least temporarily.

Regarding vitamins for a sinus infection, I did a little research and could not find any definite recommendations on that issue. Does anyone have any specific recommendations of vitamins for a sinus infection?
Old 12-16-2017, 10:13 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Glad you are doing better and I wrestle with sinus issues from time to time. Sometimes they seem to linger forever.

I take an multi and an eye health vitamin daily..they contain some zinc which I feel is helpful against virus infections. I live in the North and take extra Vitamin D during the wintertime. Extra fluids help your body wash out virus faster..Drink until you think you are floating. I take the time release Mucinex religiously until my symptoms are gone. I also have a personal steam inhaler (Vicks brand) for when I really feel plugged up. A warm shower with the water running on your head and face can help a lot..

If you have very dry air in your house either a cold mist or a warm mist vaporizer can be very helpful. You have to be careful with the Sudafed and nasal spray because if you use it too often, it can actually make things worse.

There has been a very nasty cold bug going thru here as well. It got spread by some family members at Thanksgiving. I used the above methods and did not get a sinus headache and only had one night of bad sleep. But I am very proactive,

because once you've had a horrid sinus issue, you really want to avoid it happening again.

Before all you vitamin bashers step in, I feel this works for me.. the D and zinc and in no way imply it's the gold standard.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:37 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post

One thing that did seem to help with stuffiness and I will continue to use is the Nettie Pot. I actually used the Neil Med squirt bottle. It does reduce stuffiness at least temporarily.
+1 on netti or the bottles. Much better then OTC nose spray.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:17 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
Look at the bright side, in a decade or two enough antibiotic resistant bacteria will have evolved to make this entire discussion moot.
See tonight's episode of 60 Minutes (April 21 2019)
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:36 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

What about the really scary resistant fungi!!