ice and broken bones

Marshac

Full time employment: Posting here.
While visiting my parents this Christmas, my dad showed me a cool device he got to help him walk on icy walkways-

Yaktrax Walkers - Unisex at REI.com

He LOVES them, they're fairly cheap, and they're easy to put on your shoes. If you have a lot of snow and ice where you live, you might pick up a pair and save yourself from a nasty fall.

Used my pair today on my walk in the icy woods. They really do a nice job of biting into the ice, but as discussed in another thread the rubber strands tend to break near the ends of the steel springs. Love that lifetime REI warranty, though! ;)

I am planning to retire later this year to southern Missouri. As an adult, I have not lived in areas that customarily get snow and ice in the wintertime. Even worse, I am 60 years old and nearsighted so I do tend to trip now and then. Yet, walking is good for me and I do intend to walk more than drive, if/when I can. I intend to buy a device such as yaktrax, to avoid being "an accident waiting to happen".

So far (from various threads on this forum) I have found the following links to products that go on one's shoes, for safety.

Yaktrax Walker Shoe Traction

Microspikes: Lightweight, flexible traction for winter hiking

Polar Cleats - Winter traction devices for your shoes or boots

DueNorth by Sure Foot® Corporation - Products - Traction Aids - DueNorth Everyday Traction Aid

Some are better than others! I will probably try several to see which ones work the best for me.

I'm a big fan of Yaktrax. They work very well on ice and hardpacked snow and deny me the excuse to skip my walk.

Coach

Not cheap but work great are Neos overshoes I have had a pair for 4 years. The cleats are replaceable but wear well. I finally put new cleats in last winter after many miles of use. I can wear comfortable walking shoes and just add the overshoes when needed. They don't weigh much and go on and off easy.

VNS1_lg.jpg

VNS1_solelg.jpg

Jeb

I retired to Indonesia where the temperature never drops below 75 degrees or above 85 degrees. Here's my footwear ...... "snow" is a four letter word - I hate it :)
Birksandals.jpg

Back
Top Bottom