Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is your ideal weight loss?
I'm a guy and my weight is just right for me 23 16.55%
I'm a guy and would like to lose 5 to 10 pounds 24 17.27%
I'm a guy and would like to lose 10 to 20 pounds 20 14.39%
I'm a guy and would like to lose over 20 pounds 31 22.30%
I'm a girl and my weight is just right for me 8 5.76%
I'm a girl and would like to lose 5 to 10 pounds 9 6.47%
I'm a girl and would like to lose 10 to 20 pound 10 7.19%
I'm a girl and would like to lose over 20 pounds 14 10.07%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2017, 10:38 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I lost 48 pounds last year thru say, August or September. 40-45 of those have stayed "lost". Since then, I've probably lost another 35-40 pounds, 5 pounds at a time. But each time I lose those 5 pounds, I find them again. If you have any pull with the "weight fairy", could you have her make it so that I don't keep finding those that I lost?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2017, 07:19 AM   #42

I'm about 6', 225 pounds. Ideally, I'd like to weigh 190, but would be concerned about keeping my weight that low even if I got there.

Right now, I'm working towards 210-215 pounds.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:56 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

5'9" and currently at 170 lbs. I want to drop 5. I'm at an OK weight for BMI and my 32x30 pants fit fine. The 5 is just vanity. I was under 150 pounds my first 27 years, till I w*rked at Megacorp. I was up to 225 and felt like cr@p.

DW is 5'3", she was 177, today she's at 118. Not bad for being on meds "that make it impossible to lose weight on". Don't believe everything a MD. says about weight loss.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:03 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired 4 years ago and decided to get healthy by losing 95 pounds. Took 2 years to do, but it's amazing what getting rid of stress can do for you.

I'd be THRILLED if the weight loss fairy would take another 10-15 pounds away - I'm technically still 10lbs overweight. But I'm not sure that would be sustainable for me, as I've yo-yo'd a lot over the years. Besides, I like to blame those 10lbs on my thyroid condition [emoji14]My doctor is very happy with my current weight, which is what I weighed in college. So instead of worrying about why the weight loss fairy has now forsaken me - I bask in the glory of being able to walk everywhere I want all day long and not have to constantly sit down to rest.
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:14 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I lost 48 pounds last year thru say, August or September. 40-45 of those have stayed "lost". Since then, I've probably lost another 35-40 pounds, 5 pounds at a time. But each time I lose those 5 pounds, I find them again. If you have any pull with the "weight fairy", could you have her make it so that I don't keep finding those that I lost?
Good for you and those that have lost weight after retirement. I lost about 20 lbs and have kept it off. Feels good doesn't it?
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:15 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

It's called EBYM - Eat Below Your Means.

Just like LBYM, only instead of saying "I'd like to buy that, but I don't need it so I won't," you say "I'd like to eat that, but I don't need it, so I won't."

My Mother used to call it "won't power" (she did not like the phrase "willpower").
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:23 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

Just like LBYM, only instead of saying "I'd like to buy that, but I don't need it so I won't," you say "I'd like to eat that, but I don't need it, so I won't."

My Mother used to call it "won't power" (she did not like the phrase "willpower").
Nice way to think about it.

My hat is off to those who have lost so much excess weight. Healthy amounts and nourishing eating is probably one of the most important health habits.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:24 AM   #48

I became a runner at age 47. Prior to then I was always 35-50 pounds overweight. My usual fighting weight ranges from 178-182. No, that's not what my ideal weight likely should be, but it's good enough and usually easy for me to maintain (I'm 5'10). I'm nursing a knee injury now, and weight has crept up to 185, so I'm now cutting back on what I am eating.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:42 AM   #49

For an alternate view of BMI that looks at weight by age categories, check out Dr. Hall's research. Gentlemen's Reserve: BMI chart for men
There is a link at the bottom of the page to a age adjusted chart for the ladies.
As an example, I am a BMI of 25 which statistically means I am at the 50th percentile of the male population (half weighs more and half less). On Hall's chart for the age of 69, I am at the 36 percentile--64% of men my age weigh more than I do.
I also subscribe to Audrey1's strategy that it is better to keep a few extra pounds at my age than be too low and have no cushion for a fall. I selected "lose 5-10 pounds" for the weight fairy" ;-)
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:47 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
On Hall's chart for the age of 69, I am at the 36 percentile--64% of men my age weigh more than I do.
Right now I'm at the 30th percentile...if I can get rid of all the sciatica type problems and return to where I 'should' be it'd be the 23rd.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:55 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I've been wanting to lose 5 to 10 for a decade and occasionally get there, but it creeps back.
Same here. I'm back at that 'I need to lose 10 lbs' mode. Maybe I will start next week.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:57 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I also subscribe to Audrey1's strategy that it is better to keep a few extra pounds at my age than be too low and have no cushion for a fall.
Muscle is the best cushion for a fall.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:34 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Frail, thin people also seem to catch every bug.

Quote:
I also subscribe to Audrey1's strategy that it is better to keep a few extra pounds at my age than be too low and have no cushion for a fall.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:43 PM   #54

I'm 5'10" 171 lbs 13% body fat down from about the same weight 20% body fat. Definitely feels better-my back use to get hurt easily now no pain. No fairy just lifted heavy weights and ate a proper diet for about a year.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:58 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Frail, thin people also seem to catch every bug.
When you become elderly, bone loss is a real risk for the very thin folks.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:18 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

At a BMI of 23.5, no way I need to lose any more weight.

However, I would not mind having some body mass redistributed higher in the torso. I am sure many people, male as well as female, would want the same thing. Just sayin'...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:49 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Mr. A. was getting love handles and a belly, and he "redistributed" his middle around his shoulders and chest via lots of reps on the weight machines. He is much older than I am, so it can be done at any age, as long as the person is not disabled.

Now if we only had a friendly, generous "exercise fairy" who could save us the effort and time of exercise. I would burn incense at his/her altar, or whatever it is that fairies like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
At a BMI of 23.5, no way I need to lose any more weight.

However, I would not mind having some body mass redistributed higher in the torso. I am sure many people, male as well as female, would want the same thing. Just sayin'...
Old 04-09-2017, 02:28 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post
Retired 4 years ago and decided to get healthy by losing 95 pounds. Took 2 years to do, but it's amazing what getting rid of stress can do for you.

I'd be THRILLED if the weight loss fairy would take another 10-15 pounds away - I'm technically still 10lbs overweight. But I'm not sure that would be sustainable for me, as I've yo-yo'd a lot over the years. Besides, I like to blame those 10lbs on my thyroid condition [emoji14]My doctor is very happy with my current weight, which is what I weighed in college. So instead of worrying about why the weight loss fairy has now forsaken me - I bask in the glory of being able to walk everywhere I want all day long and not have to constantly sit down to rest.
Bravo! that's serious weight to take and keep off. Not many are successful at it.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:34 PM   #59

Quote:

Brilliant. This concept should get a good reception here.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:35 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Brilliant. This concept should get a good reception here.

Love it! EBYM!!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote