Improving endurance and flexibility?

vafoodie

Recycles dryer sheets
A trip to Europe has me appalled at how bad my flexibility has become. I can still walk over 10 miles a day but Would like to be able to walk faster and without huffing and puffing. The real concern was when I had to time my shoes and really couldn’t do it from a standing position. Can anyone recommend flexibility and balance programs as well as a sure way to increase endurance. I am 62 and have no serious health problems.

Good topic. I'm 79 and walk 10,000 steps per day, play golf twice a week, and would like to increase my upper body strength and flexibility a bit more. I was wondering if a good rowing machine would help here? I've never done weight training but maybe that is something to think about.

To the OP, I can't tie my shoes unless I am in a sitting position and can't remember the last time I tied them from standing. But I'm a few years older than you too.

For the huffing and puffing, is weight normal for your age and height? If you are overweight, the excess load on your strength may cause the issue.

Stretching exercises may help you get a longer stride and stronger leg muscles. Midpack posted a couple of good links for your research above.

For what you are looking for this is the best resource I have utilized: https://www.romfit.com/

Jeremy provides a ton of free stuff, but you cannot go wrong if you sign up for one of his body blueprints or other programs geared to your needs. I subscribe to his facebook posts and that alone can do wonders for you. Much of what he recommends does not require a gym and can be done at home.

My parents swear by Miranda:

https://essentrics.com/classical-stretch/

She has a long series of videos and classes, focusing on stretching and flexibility. Having done one or two of them to try, there's definitely an endurance aspect as well.

Aside from that, I'd also add basic strength training. Squats, Lunges, etc., start with no weights and build from there. A program to intro to strength, LiftOff by Casey Johnston, "couch to barbell" is a good one for that.

Last edited:
Yoga is great for balance, flexibility and endurance (long poses). I’ve found it pretty critical for restoring and maintaining those. I get other exercise too including strength training. But yoga directly addresses the flexibility and balance challenges that come with aging.

Going on 72 here and hit the stationary bike for a quick two miles every morning after my coffee and then followed up by hand weights, push-ups, and misc. stretching totaling about 20 minutes in all. During the day if I'm not golfing I do two 1.5 mile walks in rain, snow or shine. Experimenting with a Keto type diet to get my BMI from 27 to below 25. BTW I've had double back fusion surgery three years ago (L4,5,S-1)and suffer from arthritis in my right knee. The keys for good fitness are easy, diet, exercise and sleep. The phrase use it or lose it so true, especially for seniors. As for your question concerning endurance, walk faster and build your stamina by incrementally increasing distance. In my silly youth I went through US Army airborne and ranger school and that pretty much set me on a decent life trajectory for staying in somewhat good shape. Hope any of this helps and good luck. RLTW !!!!

This may not be an issue, but if you're female or small framed and in your late '50s and up, make sure your bones are not in osteoporosis range before making any movements like extreme forward extensions or twisting with your back (i.e.., leaning over to tie your shoes while standing, crunches, etc).

It is unfortunately too easy for the healthiest, most athletic, active women to experience a sudden back fracture from movements like that- because so many of us have no idea we've lost a lot of bone density. Osteoporosis usually has no symptoms. Usually a fracture is the first symptom. Docs rarely suggest a DXA imaging test before 65 to their patients, despite many women (and some men) losing tremendous bone density in their '40s and 50s.

Anyone contemplating yoga, martial arts or any other excellent fitness pursuit may want to get a DXA baseline scan first. (Easy peasy! It's 10 min on a table in your street clothes - painless!).

There are some poses or activities that put a low density back in a very risky forward prone or lateral twisting position. You can still participate - just may want to modify a bit for safety.

Last edited:
I see you're in Va where I assume walking outside is problematic in the winter. So you're probably not getting enough walking in. Shoot for 10,000 steps per day.

In bad weather - I'd say walk about 3-3.5 mph on a treadmill for about 45 minutes a day, gradually increasing the incline. Every day if possible. Do 5-6 miles of hiking 2-3 times a week when the weather permits. Some weight/resistance training and a good diet also. Compound exercises to include squats.

I wouldn't be too concerned about not being able to tie your shoes while standing. I would be more concerned with the huffing and puffing. The increased walking/resistance training and diet will get rid of the huffing/puffing and probably get you to where you can tie your shoes while standing.

I'm 67 and can tie my shoes / touch the floor flat handed while standing, and I don't do any balance / flexibility exercises. I can do it probably because I have longer arms.

I am a certified tai chi instructor. It's my post-retirement fun job. Given the issues that you listed as your concern (flexibility and endurance) I would direct you towards a yoga class instead of tai chi. Tai chi excels at helping people to improve balance and prevent falls as you move forward, backward and side-to-side throughout the class, learning how to position your feet and shift your weight. It is particularly useful for those suffering from arthritis due to its focus on gentle movements, as well as diabetic neuropathy due to its focus on helping you sense and connect your feet to the ground. Tai chi does offer some help with flexibility and strength, but not as much as yoga can (IMHO).

Good luck! I hope these and the above posters' suggestions help you find a good path forward for improving your flexibility and endurance.

Yoga is great for balance, flexibility and endurance (long poses). I’ve found it pretty critical for restoring and maintaining those. I get other exercise too including strength training. But yoga directly addresses the flexibility and balance challenges that come with aging.

Long time yogi here too. It has made such a difference in my flexibility, balance and core strength. Not to mention the mental health benefits. I highly recommend and you should be able to find a teacher that adapts to what you need.

I’ve had multiple back surgeries and after my last flare up of back tightening and subsequent PT visit, my therapist told me that I needed to stretch every day for the rest of my life. I’ve followed his advice and have added shoulder and knee stretches/strengthening to the routine. No back issues in years and I’m pretty physically active. It now takes me a good 45 minutes, but I do it virtually every day. Not yoga or any formal “program” like that, but the same concept.

Learn to dance Charleston/

Last edited:
Just to add a suggestion not often made, make your motor vehicle your last choice for getting from place to place. And ifbyou do drive, select a parking spot that forces you to walk.

The second part of the suggestion is helpful. The first part is life changing in many ways and once incorporated into your lifestyle, incredibly positive.

+1 for strength training and also yoga. But ti address huffing and puffing you need to work on aerobic endurance too.

While WFH during Covid I started doing videos at www.fitnessblender.com. Highly recommend them! You can select routines by workout type, difficulty, etc. Many of their strength training workouts are cardio as well, because they move pretty quickly between exercises so your heart rate stays up.

They have stretching/flexibility videos too. They “blend” their exercise styles, hence the name.

I was an avid marathon runner but had to slow down due to knees/joints. Agree that yoga is ideal for flexibility but walking/jogging/running as well as biking, swimming, elliptical, etc. are ideal for endurance.

I live in an area that is very hilly. That is a curse and a blessing. The hills make playing outdoor games that need a flat surface a real problem. OTOH, I can take a number of very brisk walks that total several hundred feet of gain and get my heart pumping and my leg muscles working hard against gravity. And going downhill is also good exercise for the legs also.

ALL good suggestions above. The key is consistency. Every day I try to do at least 2 of weights/aerobic/flexibility exercises and sports for a least a couple of hours. All of the places I walk briskly, including the golf course, have enough elevation changes to provide periodic challenges. I shoot for 20,000 steps a day across all of my activities - I do not always make but it is the effort that counts.

The other thing I may have missed - do not sit around for long stretches of time. I have an interval timer on my computer that goes off every 45 minutes, and I will get up and do something that keeps me standing for 15 minutes. If I watch a movie on TV I will either stand and pace/dance for some of it, or watch in my workshop while I ride my bike on a trainer stand.

Good topic. I'm 79 and walk 10,000 steps per day, play golf twice a week, and would like to increase my upper body strength and flexibility a bit more. I was wondering if a good rowing machine would help here? I've never done weight training but maybe that is something to think about.

To the OP, I can't tie my shoes unless I am in a sitting position and can't remember the last time I tied them from standing. But I'm a few years older than you too.

For the huffing and puffing, is weight normal for your age and height? If you are overweight, the excess load on your strength may cause the issue.

Stretching exercises may help you get a longer stride and stronger leg muscles. Midpack posted a couple of good links for your research above.

I feel there are a lot of benefits to rowing machines. I've used one for most of my years training/staying fit. I think it really helps with strength, and core ability. I also do push ups, pull ups and lift weights up to 25lbs. I am only 41 though so not sure if this will be viable at 71...or even 81 but I am really hoping. Never forget a man I saw in the surf and raquet club pool over on the Big Island a few years back. He had a 6 pack and was in his mid 80s with a big old smiling grin on his face...and I thought, I hope that is me at that age.

I feel there are a lot of benefits to rowing machines. I've used one for most of my years training/staying fit. I think it really helps with strength, and core ability. I also do push ups, pull ups and lift weights up to 25lbs. I am only 41 though so not sure if this will be viable at 71...or even 81 but I am really hoping. Never forget a man I saw in the surf and raquet club pool over on the Big Island a few years back. He had a 6 pack and was in his mid 80s with a big old smiling grin on his face...and I thought, I hope that is me at that age.

You want a 6 pack at that age, pay attention to what you are doing in the kitchen.

You want a 6 pack at that age, pay attention to what you are doing in the kitchen.

Truth! 95% of results start and end in what you put in your mouth, which is why I don’t have a 6 pack despite being a very active person… even when I qualified to run the Boston marathon I still didn’t have a 6 pack.

Truth! 95% of results start and end in what you put in your mouth, which is why I don’t have a 6 pack despite being a very active person… even when I qualified to run the Boston marathon I still didn’t have a 6 pack.
Hopefully not a keg though...

;)

Another vote for yoga, pilates and stretching for flexibility.

Huffing and puffing would require cardio type workouts. Consider something like an elliptical that can be in between walking and running.

Flexibility gains can be in MM and make a difference. Slow steady progress.

Yep. I was running for 40 years, but didn't eat a healthy diet. Normal running weight around 180 lbs, but never had a six pack. Dr suggested I go on a keto diet - same time I was in marathon training. Lost another 15 -20 lbs while marathon training and Keto at the same time - then the 6 pack appeared. Didn't last long though- gone less than a month after the marathon and the end of Keto.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom