In Need Of A Good Computer Chair

Personally, I am a huge fan of the Aeron but am too cheap to purchase one for my own office.
FWIW mine is 15 years old and shows no wear at all, it'll probably last longer than I do. I expected the mesh (on the seat especially) to stretch and get "baggy" in time, but it's not sagging at all. Very well built...

I'm sitting in my Aeron chair right now. It's great.

I did have to play around with the adjustments for a while before I got them right. Worth every penny.

This is what I have at work. I trade mine out with a less used one from the conference room ever six months or so. Our local office supply company got us 20 of them for half price. It is not a bad sitting chair. My chair at home is from Sam's Club. I sat in chairs from all the office big box stores, and found the one from Sam's to be the best fit for me. I don't remember the name, but it cost less than $200.

004.jpg

002.jpg

I stand, or sit on my exercise ball (Swiss Ball). I have used this for years as I like my huge monitor and would not enjoy a laptop..

Ha

This is a topic near and dear to my heart. I was heavily involved with providing engineering support to our organization's ergonomics program. You should not be focusing just on your chair. You chair is just one component of your computer workstation. Your desk, keyboard, monitor angle & height, mouse, and foot rests all come into play as well. Here is one of many websites that tell you house you should evaluate your desk area.

Guide to Setting Up an Ergonomic Computer Station

Sit/stand desks became popular toward the last couple of years at my w*rkplace. Some people stand all the time. I varied between sitting and standing throughout the day. However, you need to have preset heights and an electronic desk.

We also had software that prompted rest breaks and a short exercise routine. Getting up to walk around for a couple of minutes is OK but you can also add a few neck, finger, wrist, and leg stretches as well.

The message here is that you could take all the recommendations for chairs and still not be comfortable because the rest of you desk setup is not correct. We had an ergonomic office that let you try out chairs for 1 month and return them if you didn't like them. That shows that you have to shop around to get one right for you.

Back
Top Bottom