Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Increase in Heart Rate upon Standing
Old 02-05-2020, 12:13 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 970
Increase in Heart Rate upon Standing

I'm about to throw my Apple Watch 5 out the window. It keeps telling me things that I've never known - and not in a good way.

In the past, I've noticed palpitations sometimes when I stand up after sitting for awhile. Since I had a blood pressure machine, I would take it sitting down and then after standing. There was usually very little change in BP. Now that I have my Apple Watch, I can monitor my heart rate continuously. I keep having episodes where my rate might jump from mid 50's to 110 or above - all within a couple of minutes of standing. It usually comes right back down within another 5 minutes or so. My worst one was 48 - 118 for an increase of 70bpm within 3 minutes. Needless to say, I can really tell when it's happening.

Of course when I went to my cardiologist, my heart rate went from 58 to 59. But, there's really no way to recreate the event in a 15 minute office visit. He didn't have an answer and suggested compression socks and drinking more water.

Anybody else have events like this?
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2020, 12:22 PM   #2
Moderator
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Flyover country
Posts: 16,433
FWIW, some people have reported erratic readings due to the watch not being tight enough on their wrist. Something you might want to consider. I believe Apple has mentioned this in some of their documentation.
__________________
I thought growing old would take longer.
braumeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:28 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 4,033
A heart rate of 118 would be noticeable in ways other than just looking at your watch. Did you have a feeling of a heart rate that high?
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:30 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
FWIW, some people have reported erratic readings due to the watch not being tight enough on their wrist. Something you might want to consider. I believe Apple has mentioned this in some of their documentation.
It's not the watch. I get the same results with my oximeter. That and I can really tell when it's happening - lightheadedness, chest tightening, etc. It's worse because I tend to have a low heart rate to begin with. Oh well. Another reason to start SS early,
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:33 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
A heart rate of 118 would be noticeable in ways other than just looking at your watch. Did you have a feeling of a heart rate that high?
Yes, lightheadedness, chest and throat fill like they are closing up. Haven't fainted yet, but have come close. I thought I might have POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome), but for those people the heart rate jumps upon standing and doesn't go back down.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:33 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ExFlyBoy5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Country Living
Posts: 4,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickA5 View Post
It's not the watch. I get the same results with my oximeter. That and I can really tell when it's happening - lightheadedness, chest tightening, etc. It's worse because I tend to have a low heart rate to begin with. Oh well. Another reason to start SS early,
All seem like good indications that perhaps you should discuss this with your doc.
__________________
Retired in 2014 at the Ripe Age of 40
ExFlyBoy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:40 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 27,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickA5 View Post
I'm about to throw my Apple Watch 5 out the window. It keeps telling me things that I've never known - and not in a good way.

In the past, I've noticed palpitations sometimes when I stand up after sitting for awhile. Since I had a blood pressure machine, I would take it sitting down and then after standing. There was usually very little change in BP. Now that I have my Apple Watch, I can monitor my heart rate continuously. I keep having episodes where my rate might jump from mid 50's to 110 or above - all within a couple of minutes of standing. It usually comes right back down within another 5 minutes or so. My worst one was 48 - 118 for an increase of 70bpm within 3 minutes. Needless to say, I can really tell when it's happening.

Of course when I went to my cardiologist, my heart rate went from 58 to 59. But, there's really no way to recreate the event in a 15 minute office visit. He didn't have an answer and suggested compression socks and drinking more water.

Anybody else have events like this?
Your phone now has your history, and you can show your doctor the events as well as take notes about what is happening.
__________________
Retired since summer 1999.
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:40 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: No Country for Old Men
Posts: 47,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
All seem like good indications that perhaps you should discuss this with your doc.
^ What he said.
__________________
Numbers is hard

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:44 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 4,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickA5 View Post
Yes, lightheadedness, chest and throat fill like they are closing up. Haven't fainted yet, but have come close. I thought I might have POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome), but for those people the heart rate jumps upon standing and doesn't go back down.
When I was younger, even as a kid, I would get heart palpitations similar to what you describe. Out of the blue, I would get a racing heart. The doctors never figured it out. They are rare, if they happen at all now. One thing a doctor told me and it worked, was to hold my breath for a few seconds and that would stop the heart from racing. I think it worked every time.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:50 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
All seem like good indications that perhaps you should discuss this with your doc.
I did. Went to both PCP and Cardiologist last week. They don't know what's going on. My guess is I have a screwed up Autonomic system, but there are few doctors that specialize in Dysautonomia and none in my state.

Last Summer, when I went to my Cardiologist for my annual checkup he noticed my heart rate was low (45). He had me do a Echocardiogram, Stress Test and 48 hour holter monitor. All came back fine - with the holter monitor confirming the low heart rate. There were some spikes into the 100's, but at the time I didn't know about the increase upon standing. I'm sure that was when the spikes were happening. He said the heart itself was fine and figured I might be having problems with the Vagus Nerve not responding right.

I've started with a new Neurologist last week, hoping to figure something out.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:46 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
MRG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 9,361
Good luck. I had nonspecific tachycardia back in 2015, very unnerving. They initially said it was dehydration and perhaps that made it worse. I eventually changed my diet, lost weight, and it disappeared.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:09 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Telly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,878
A measured heart rate of 45?! I'd be unconscious at that low rate! I don't think I've seen mine below about 67 ever, when taking BP on home machines, and that's when I'm real calm (not at a Dr. office!). Maybe your resting heart rate is too LOW, and when standing, like the Giraffe, the heart rate needs to come up a lot to pump up that high (to head). Your control system may have a lot to handle with such a low idle rate. Maybe your idle screw needs to be turned up on your carburetor.
__________________
-- Telly, the D-I-Y guy --
Two fools dancing on the hands of time
Telly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:37 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 4,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
A measured heart rate of 45?! I'd be unconscious at that low rate! I don't think I've seen mine below about 67 ever, when taking BP on home machines, and that's when I'm real calm (not at a Dr. office!). Maybe your resting heart rate is too LOW, and when standing, like the Giraffe, the heart rate needs to come up a lot to pump up that high (to head). Your control system may have a lot to handle with such a low idle rate. Maybe your idle screw needs to be turned up on your carburetor.
I think 65-70 is the average resting heart rate. Mine gets down to about 54 ish, but I have runner friends that get into the 40's.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:43 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
MRG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 9,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I think 65-70 is the average resting heart rate. Mine gets down to about 54 ish, but I have runner friends that get into the 40's.
Mine was at 33 when I checked myself into the ER. My former PCP didn't want me to have hypertension. Blithering idiot tried to kill me from his grave.

OP are you on meds, like beta blockers, that lower your heart rate?
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:45 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ER Eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,529
Your watch is going to kill you from stress. Throw it away.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:48 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Mine was at 33 when I checked myself into the ER. My former PCP didn't want me to have hypertension. Blithering idiot tried to kill me from his grave.

OP are you on meds, like beta blockers, that lower your heart rate?
No. My only meds are a Statin, baby aspirin and Finasteride (for enlarged prostate - which I'm probably going to stop taking).
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:49 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
Your watch is going to kill you from stress. Throw it away.
You're probably right. I bought it for the EKG and the fall detection function. Actually, I love my Apple Watch.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:15 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 12,477
OP - I'm no cardiologist, but MIL is having heart issues. Her doc is putting her on a heart monitor for a month. Maybe your 48 hour heart monitoring wasn't a long enough time period to detect anomalies.
__________________
"Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:47 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
SecondCor521's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boise
Posts: 4,561
Sounds like postural hypotension to me, but IANAD. More of a blood pressure thing than a heart rate thing.
__________________
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:52 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Beaverton
Posts: 1,382
I wish you the best of luck. That being said I don't think I'd ask for medical advice on a financial forum. Just sayin'. Maybe a second opinion?
__________________
Jump in, the water's warm.
Bir48die is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Time is standing still Backdraft57 FIRE and Money 54 05-25-2016 12:03 PM
Directions for my path from my current standing. Blaineatk Young Dreamers 54 12-24-2015 12:37 PM
Anyone using a standing desk? explanade Life after FIRE 25 10-12-2013 07:48 PM
Last.... Man(or woman).... Standing? HsiaoChu Life after FIRE 0 03-14-2010 08:00 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:55 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.