Join Early Retirement Today

Increase in Heart Rate upon Standing
Old 02-05-2020, 11:13 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Increase in Heart Rate upon Standing

I'm about to throw my Apple Watch 5 out the window. It keeps telling me things that I've never known - and not in a good way.

In the past, I've noticed palpitations sometimes when I stand up after sitting for awhile. Since I had a blood pressure machine, I would take it sitting down and then after standing. There was usually very little change in BP. Now that I have my Apple Watch, I can monitor my heart rate continuously. I keep having episodes where my rate might jump from mid 50's to 110 or above - all within a couple of minutes of standing. It usually comes right back down within another 5 minutes or so. My worst one was 48 - 118 for an increase of 70bpm within 3 minutes. Needless to say, I can really tell when it's happening.

Of course when I went to my cardiologist, my heart rate went from 58 to 59. But, there's really no way to recreate the event in a 15 minute office visit. He didn't have an answer and suggested compression socks and drinking more water.

Anybody else have events like this?
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2020, 11:22 AM   #2

FWIW, some people have reported erratic readings due to the watch not being tight enough on their wrist. Something you might want to consider. I believe Apple has mentioned this in some of their documentation.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:28 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A heart rate of 118 would be noticeable in ways other than just looking at your watch. Did you have a feeling of a heart rate that high?
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
FWIW, some people have reported erratic readings due to the watch not being tight enough on their wrist. Something you might want to consider. I believe Apple has mentioned this in some of their documentation.
It's not the watch. I get the same results with my oximeter. That and I can really tell when it's happening - lightheadedness, chest tightening, etc. It's worse because I tend to have a low heart rate to begin with. Oh well. Another reason to start SS early,
Old 02-05-2020, 11:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
A heart rate of 118 would be noticeable in ways other than just looking at your watch. Did you have a feeling of a heart rate that high?
Yes, lightheadedness, chest and throat fill like they are closing up. Haven't fainted yet, but have come close. I thought I might have POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome), but for those people the heart rate jumps upon standing and doesn't go back down.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:33 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickA5 View Post
It's not the watch. I get the same results with my oximeter. That and I can really tell when it's happening - lightheadedness, chest tightening, etc. It's worse because I tend to have a low heart rate to begin with. Oh well. Another reason to start SS early,
All seem like good indications that perhaps you should discuss this with your doc.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:40 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm about to throw my Apple Watch 5 out the window. It keeps telling me things that I've never known - and not in a good way.

In the past, I've noticed palpitations sometimes when I stand up after sitting for awhile. Since I had a blood pressure machine, I would take it sitting down and then after standing. There was usually very little change in BP. Now that I have my Apple Watch, I can monitor my heart rate continuously. I keep having episodes where my rate might jump from mid 50's to 110 or above - all within a couple of minutes of standing. It usually comes right back down within another 5 minutes or so. My worst one was 48 - 118 for an increase of 70bpm within 3 minutes. Needless to say, I can really tell when it's happening.

Of course when I went to my cardiologist, my heart rate went from 58 to 59. But, there's really no way to recreate the event in a 15 minute office visit. He didn't have an answer and suggested compression socks and drinking more water.

Anybody else have events like this?
Your phone now has your history, and you can show your doctor the events as well as take notes about what is happening.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:40 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
All seem like good indications that perhaps you should discuss this with your doc.
^ What he said.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:44 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, lightheadedness, chest and throat fill like they are closing up. Haven't fainted yet, but have come close. I thought I might have POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome), but for those people the heart rate jumps upon standing and doesn't go back down.
When I was younger, even as a kid, I would get heart palpitations similar to what you describe. Out of the blue, I would get a racing heart. The doctors never figured it out. They are rare, if they happen at all now. One thing a doctor told me and it worked, was to hold my breath for a few seconds and that would stop the heart from racing. I think it worked every time.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I did. Went to both PCP and Cardiologist last week. They don't know what's going on. My guess is I have a screwed up Autonomic system, but there are few doctors that specialize in Dysautonomia and none in my state.

Last Summer, when I went to my Cardiologist for my annual checkup he noticed my heart rate was low (45). He had me do a Echocardiogram, Stress Test and 48 hour holter monitor. All came back fine - with the holter monitor confirming the low heart rate. There were some spikes into the 100's, but at the time I didn't know about the increase upon standing. I'm sure that was when the spikes were happening. He said the heart itself was fine and figured I might be having problems with the Vagus Nerve not responding right.

I've started with a new Neurologist last week, hoping to figure something out.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:46 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Good luck. I had nonspecific tachycardia back in 2015, very unnerving. They initially said it was dehydration and perhaps that made it worse. I eventually changed my diet, lost weight, and it disappeared.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:09 PM   #12

A measured heart rate of 45?! I'd be unconscious at that low rate! I don't think I've seen mine below about 67 ever, when taking BP on home machines, and that's when I'm real calm (not at a Dr. office!). Maybe your resting heart rate is too LOW, and when standing, like the Giraffe, the heart rate needs to come up a lot to pump up that high (to head). Your control system may have a lot to handle with such a low idle rate. Maybe your idle screw needs to be turned up on your carburetor.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:37 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
A measured heart rate of 45?! I'd be unconscious at that low rate! I don't think I've seen mine below about 67 ever, when taking BP on home machines, and that's when I'm real calm (not at a Dr. office!). Maybe your resting heart rate is too LOW, and when standing, like the Giraffe, the heart rate needs to come up a lot to pump up that high (to head). Your control system may have a lot to handle with such a low idle rate. Maybe your idle screw needs to be turned up on your carburetor.
I think 65-70 is the average resting heart rate. Mine gets down to about 54 ish, but I have runner friends that get into the 40's.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:43 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I think 65-70 is the average resting heart rate. Mine gets down to about 54 ish, but I have runner friends that get into the 40's.
Mine was at 33 when I checked myself into the ER. My former PCP didn't want me to have hypertension. [emoji849] Blithering idiot tried to kill me from his grave.

OP are you on meds, like beta blockers, that lower your heart rate?
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:45 PM   #15

Your watch is going to kill you from stress. Throw it away.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Mine was at 33 when I checked myself into the ER. My former PCP didn't want me to have hypertension. [emoji849] Blithering idiot tried to kill me from his grave.

OP are you on meds, like beta blockers, that lower your heart rate?
No. My only meds are a Statin, baby aspirin and Finasteride (for enlarged prostate - which I'm probably going to stop taking).
Old 02-05-2020, 03:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
Your watch is going to kill you from stress. Throw it away.
You're probably right. I bought it for the EKG and the fall detection function. Actually, I love my Apple Watch.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:15 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

OP - I'm no cardiologist, but MIL is having heart issues. Her doc is putting her on a heart monitor for a month. Maybe your 48 hour heart monitoring wasn't a long enough time period to detect anomalies.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:47 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like postural hypotension to me, but IANAD. More of a blood pressure thing than a heart rate thing.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:52 PM   #20

I wish you the best of luck. That being said I don't think I'd ask for medical advice on a financial forum. Just sayin'. Maybe a second opinion?