Inexpensive eyeglasses?

prof12

Recycles dryer sheets
I just returned from opthamologist where they checked me for cataracts and retinal neuropathy since I have diabetes. I received a thorough check-up that lasted nearly 4 hours with the dilation. It was well worth the time and found eyes were in great shape. But I was told I need glasses. After buying some for my wife earlier this year and spending $1400+ for 2 pair I was wondering if anyone knows of less pricey (read cheap) places that will take the prescription and make decent glasses. I sure don't want or need all the bells and whistles these places try to upsell. Thanks. --prof12

Goggles4U. Mail order. I've heard they are made in China. Very inexpensive. They usually have a deal the first pair of single vision glasses for about $10 including the frame. UV coating is about the only extra you get at that price.

Last edited:
If you want to buy your glasses in person, I have had good luck at both Walmart and Costco.

Clark Howard talks a lot about Zennioptical.com. I've used 39dollarglasses.com and had good luck with the lenses and metal frames. A couple plastic frames had the temples askew but were usable.

Sent from my iPod touch using Early Retirement Forum

I purchased my last bifocal glasses at Costco. The service was excellent. I avoid coated lenses and opted for photochromic lenses instead.

Bought four pairs of glasses at Costco yesterday.

DW and I both got our eyes checked and since we had a change in prescription, we drive directly over to Costco after the checkup.

We both bought a regular pair and sunglasses. Both of mine were around $100 (frame and lenses) while DW's was a bit more since they were bifocals - and possible notch nicer than mine ;-)

Total cost for four pairs was $585

My last pair also came from Costco and are about four years old, they're a bit worse for the wear and are certainly due for replacing now.

I used Costco. I had to also buy a membership and it was still a good value. First time I used a 'discount' provider, although they did accept my insurance. I am happy with my glasses and the price.

Very happy with Costco. I usually buy two pair at a time as I find visual acuity is pretty mission critical - absolutely so before ER. I have bought six pair there in total over the years and have been very happy with product and service.

I have used Zenni for about five years. I pay about $39 for my bifocals. I have a pair of polarized bifocal sunglasses that cost about $85. It takes four to six weeks to get them in the mail. I have broken the frames and when I ask for replacements they sent them free.

Wow, what a timely thread!

Has anyone had "readers" made, rather than buying them off the rack? I've been thinking of trying it, but didn't want to waste my $$$. From some of the links I've seen above, it might be worth a shot. I haven't found any readers that I've been too pleased with (cheap, shoddy frames, lenses don't seem as sharp, etc.)

I bought a pair from Zenni Optical. My expectations were very low because (I heard you don't get much customer service if something goes wrong). But the glasses were exactly what I ordered, came quickly (from China), and were $20 (that includes shipping). I could have gone even cheaper, by not adding scratch resistance. Not a bifocal or anything, but $20, delivered to my door? That's a bargain!

My son told me about www.warbyparker.com. Haven't needed new glasses, so haven't tried them. They seem to have more fashionable frames with lenses for around $100 per pair. You can order five frames and decide which (if any) you like, and then return them for free. Shipping is also free, and they have 30-day returns on the glasses. There is also an online tool where you can use your webcam to take a picture of yourself and try on glasses. Looks pretty neat, but as I've said, I haven't tried it.

I use www.readingglasses.com for cheaters. Lots of choices, including expensive ones, free shipping and free returns. Many parameters to help search, and quite a few reviews.

Followed my optometrist when he went to local Sears optical. Great quality glasses but wait for the sales. Best seems to be 2 for 1 sale. IIRC they also have some group discounts (AAA, AARP, etc.).
Also read good reviews for Costco, but I'll bet as with most chain retailers the local service may vary.

Has anyone had "readers" made, rather than buying them off the rack? I've been thinking of trying it, but didn't want to waste my $$$. From some of the links I've seen above, it might be worth a shot. I haven't found any readers that I've been too pleased with (cheap, shoddy frames, lenses don't seem as sharp, etc.)

I haven't had readers made, but got a pair for the computer - to allow me to read about 3 ft away since I have a huge screen. I got them from 39dollarglasses.com and am very pleased with them.

Had good results with Costco for when I wanted to see and try on frames. Mine were about $160, so more than the $100 other people are reporting, but less than the $350 the optician wanted. I've also had very good luck (and even good customer service when I messed up a prescription one time) from Zenni Optical. For $20 I can always have spare pairs around. Highly recommended.

As usual, you kind folks at this forum are a wealth of extremely helpful information!!!!!! Many thanks. I think am going to see what Costco has to offer style-wise and cost-wise since I am a "visual-kind-of-guy" ;-)
--prof12

My last several pairs of glasses are from costco. My last pair was a "do it all" pair - transitions lenses (eliminating need for sunglasses), progressives, etc...

This time around I decided to have sunglasses (including progressives since I like to read at the beach.) and regular (no transitions) with progressives.

My husband doesn't need prescriptive lenses - but does need progressive or readers for reading/computer. He decided to get a "do-it-all" pair of progressives with transitions from costco. It was a lot more expensive than readers but he likes it when he's working outside and needs to see details.

Just got back from Costco - wow! Where have I been? We've been Costco members for years and just never thought of getting glasses there. I needed some computer glasses, and saved a ton of money. Now I don't have to worry about how we'll afford new glasses after we retire. :dance:

Also, just FYI, if you want to really save, bring in old frames, they'll charge you $18 to re-use and re-fit them.

After my extensive eye exam in the spring (which did not include a prescription), the hospital's optometrist had a three month wait for an appointment. I went to Costco for both the optomestrist service and the contacts/glasses products. The optometrist was equally as thorough as the hospital's staff optometrists have been in the past, and the contacts and glasses are perfect. The contacts (12 month supply of monthly disposable) and non-bifocals cost me $260 all told, but the rebates brought that down about $60 dollars.

I looked at the online places but my prescription is coke-bottle thick and I was worried that the frames I liked might not support them (besides the prescription exceeded at least one online place's limit). My kids have had great success with 39dollarglasses and Zenni.

If you don't have accurate measure of pupillary distance, go to Costco or Walmart.
Along the way, if you can get this measurement, hold on to it (and your lens prescription) in case you want to go mail order next time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom