Insomnia and CHF

Yoheadden

Recycles dryer sheets
I was wondering if anyone has experience dealing with a loved one with CHF and insomnia? We are dealing with this now with my FIL. He has advanced CHF and CKD, as well as COPD. He gets these episodes of anxiety, where his arms shake and his breathing gets thrown off, which causes more anxiety. The DR. Has prescribed Trazodone, but it doesn’t seem to be helping much. We have even increased the dosage, but it doesn’t seem to help much. I am calling his office today to see what else can be done.
Have you gone through something similar and was anything effective?

Does he have sleep apnea? My mother had both CHF and sleep apnea and slept only in short stretches for years.

While he might not tolerate a CPAP, oxygen at night may help keep his saturation up.

Fan and cool air... extra Oxygen may or may not help due to the COPD. Also sitting up may help... sleeping in a recliner, but watch for leg swelling.

My father had COPD, CKD (on dialysis), CHF also. He just didn't sleep well, shorter naps throughout the day and short nights sleep. He had an oxygen concentrator at home to use if he wanted. Dialysis days were worse.
Not being able to breathe well does cause you to feel anxious.
Sorry your FIL is experiencing this.
If trazodone is not helping, I would stop it.
Has your FIL had a full exam recently to evaluate the shakiness to make sure it's not something other than anxiety?

No sleep apnea. He has never been a great sleeper, but definitely worse, now that his conditions have declined. He is on 3.5/4 liters of oxygen at night. Well, it was at night. All the time now.

Fan and cool air... extra Oxygen may or may not help due to the COPD. Also sitting up may help... sleeping in a recliner, but watch for leg swelling.

He sleeps propped up on cushions with his feet elevated. He does have edema and is on diuretics for it.

My father had COPD, CKD (on dialysis), CHF also. He just didn't sleep well, shorter naps throughout the day and short nights sleep. He had an oxygen concentrator at home to use if he wanted. Dialysis days were worse.
Not being able to breathe well does cause you to feel anxious.
Sorry your FIL is experiencing this.
If trazodone is not helping, I would stop it.
Has your FIL had a full exam recently to evaluate the shakiness to make sure it's not something other than anxiety?

We have a concentrator as well. As you know, one thing affects another and poor sleeping is a side effect of these conditions.
We were able to get the Dr to change the prescription to Ativan. This worked better last night, but we have an appointment on Thursday to discuss Hospice care options. We are basically doing this already with his medications and just trying to keep him comfortable.

Another drug to consider would be anti-seizure medication Gabapentin.

Can really help with late cycle deep sleep.

P.S. - Search "Gabapentin for insomnia".

Last edited:
No sleep apnea. He has never been a great sleeper, but definitely worse, now that his conditions have declined. He is on 3.5/4 liters of oxygen at night. Well, it was at night. All the time now.

Has he had a sleep study? Heart problems, anxiety and poor sleep can all go together with sleep apnea.

I would check vitamin d3 levels. Dr Stasha Gominak, has found a link between low vitamin D3 and low b vitamins with a link to many diseases. She is a neurologist and there are many videos online. Look at her interviews with High Intensity Health. I am sleeping like a baby again and feeling great! (Avoid Vitamin D2 prescribed by doctors-it creates insomnia)

Back
Top Bottom