Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-14-2015, 02:21 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I use hydrion paper. What I have found for me is that: highly acid pH = insomnia, highly alkaline pH = even daytime sleepiness.

For acidicity, Milk of Magnesia works for me pretty close to 100% of the time. So does chamomile or peppermint tea.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2015, 02:56 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I use hydrion paper: highly acid pH = insomnia, highly alkaline pH = even daytime sleepiness.

For acidicity, Milk of Magnesia works for me pretty close to 100% of the time. So does chamomile or peppermint tea.
What are you measuring the acidity of?
Old 12-14-2015, 03:35 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
What are you measuring the acidity of?
It is urine testing pH paper. I should add this is what works for me through trial and error. Everybody is different. For me green tea acts like knock out drops while I've read in most people it speeds up metabolism.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:29 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Many of the herbal supplements out there cause nasal congestion for me. Am probably allergic to one or more of the ingredients.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:43 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl E Retyre View Post
I take Ambien almost every night and have been doing so for a very long time. I cut the 10 mg pill in half with a pill cutter and that does the trick. With the pill, I often still only get about 5 hours of sleep - but that is more than enough for me to not feel tired the next day. The doctor is not concerned about me taking ambien for a long time. I have tried the over the counter options and nothing so far has worked. I will read through the links mentioned above and try some of those options.
Ambien & 6 hrs. sleep? Ever try going to the sleep clinic?

My father had just taken an Ambien and the doorbell rang. When he tried to jump up to answer the door, it was like having concrete shoes on. He fell, broke a hip and never made it out of the hospital.

I once took an Ambien--thinking it was another of my tiny pills. 5 minutes later I misjudged the distance at a red light and my foot didn't put enough pressure on the brake. I tapped a little old lady in the (car's) tail end.

As someone with sleep apnea, I use a CPAP machine and it makes me sleep so much better. I would never take Ambien again as I work hard enough physically around the house to be tired at bedtime.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 05:04 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
Car-Guy..thanks! I tried this back in September and it worked well for me. I don't take a full 25mg, sometimes only a quarter tablet, but now even though I might wake up at 3AM, I go back to sleep quite quickly. Again, thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
You are certainly welcome. Glad it works for you "too".
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 05:10 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I realize it's only AARP, and therefore suspect, but this really is a bit scary. The article lists a host of common sleep aids (mainly antihistamines) whose regular use has been linked to long-term memory loss:

Sleep and Allergy Meds Linked to Dementia, Alzheimer’s – AARP
I keep forgetting to read this article for some reason...

I didn't see the variety of Unisom that I've been using on the list but to be honest, even it it was, I'd continue to use it. My sleeping problem was that bad, so I'll take the risk. But I "might try" to cut the pills in half and see if they still work for me. So thanks for the info.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:47 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I keep forgetting to read this article for some reason...

I didn't see the variety of Unisom that I've been using on the list but to be honest, even it it was, I'd continue to use it. My sleeping problem was that bad, so I'll take the risk. But I "might try" to cut the pills in half and see if they still work for me. So thanks for the info.

Doxylamine is an anticholinergic which was what was studied for the dementia/long term memory results. I would try half, the worst that might happen is a crappy night sleep, but if you have been using it nightly for 10 years, it might not work and I'm kinda surprised that the original dose is still working.
Good luck
Old 12-19-2015, 04:51 AM   #49

I've had varying degrees of insomnia over the years. Sometimes it is trouble getting to sleep, but more often waking early and not getting back to sleep. It seems to be more of an issue as I get older. I have the recommended routine and bedtime habits but that only goes so far. I mostly use Diphenhydramine HCL at the lowest dosage needed. I will take partial pills until it has worked, and so far have never needed more than a regular dose. I also have melatonin, but that only has a light effect for me.

A third option I use that I have not seen mentioned here is prescription Lorazepam, an anti-anxiety medication. This works well but I only use it once or twice a week to avoid building resistance.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:55 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
I'm kinda surprised that the original dose is still working.
Good luck
Maybe it's physiological and/or physical dependence?
Old 12-19-2015, 09:09 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Here's a link that references a recent study.

Over-the-counter sleep aids linked to dementia - Medical News Today

Ha
Ouch. Chlorpheniramine, the only antihistamine that works for me but doesn't make me drowsy, is on the list. I'm allergic to many things, so for the last 25 years I've taken one most mornings and sometimes 4 a day. The study found 1 pill a day for 3 years increased the risk of dementia. So it goes.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:41 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

I have taken no sleep medications at all, ever, prescription or OTC, during my first 67.5 years of life. Instead, I put some serious effort into doing everything else I can do to sleep better. Also I have begun to accept that maybe at my age I don't need 8 hours every single night any more. I doubt I will ever resort to sleep medications though, since I wonder if they do more harm than good.

(edited to add: OK, OK, years ago when I used to drink alcohol I would sometimes use a glass of wine to put me to sleep but that's as far as I have ever gone or ever will go. And once or twice tried "Sleepytime" herbal tea but that does almost nothing as far as I could tell.)

I suspect (but do not know) that the manufacturers of these sleep medications do sleep better themselves after counting all the huge stacks of money they made from them. Wouldn't you? (see below, image for illustrative purposes only)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (159.6 KB, 22 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:38 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
(edited to add: OK, OK, years ago when I used to drink alcohol I would sometimes use
Now that gives me a new sleep aid idea.

Quote:
(see below, image for illustrative purposes only)
Look closely (zoom in) on that picture... Either a good Photoshop job or counterfeits... Looks like most (maybe all) of the serial numbers that can be seen are the same.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:45 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Now that gives me a new sleep aid idea.

Look closely (zoom in) on that picture... Either a good Photoshop job or counterfeits... Looks like most (maybe all) of the serial numbers that can be seen are the same.
Oops! It's just a random photograph from a Google images search on "piles of money" or something like that. I should have looked at it more closely. But, you get the idea...

Old 12-19-2015, 01:57 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oops! It's just a random photograph from a Google images search on "piles of money" or something like that. I should have looked at it more closely. But, you get the idea...
At first, I thought that was a picture of your petty cash.
Old 12-19-2015, 03:32 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
At first, I thought that was a picture of your petty cash.
I could wish!

Old 12-25-2015, 10:32 PM   #57

Exercise vigorously in the late afternoon till you are exhausted and dead tired.
Don't drink caffeine. Take melatonin big dose. You have to be exhausted by 7 pm thru exercise. You'll sleep soundly after being dead dead tired from exercise.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:40 AM   #58

As someone who has experienced varying degrees of insomnia for over 30 years, I just reassure myself each time an attack comes that I am not alone. Many people have the same problem and I don't have to panic. Sleep will eventually come. In the meantime I just do everything from yoga, exercise, counting sheep, valerian........ to Xanax to give nature a helping hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 05:03 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

I have my bouts of sleeplessness during the full moon phase.
davismills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 05:36 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I both suffer from moderate insomnia. For her (she's post-menopausal), she takes Ambien daily and Sonata as needed. She's a night owl and does not go to bed with me anymore. She stays up until she's sleepy and many nights sleeps for quite awhile in her chair before she moves to bed. This is often after 1 am.

For me, I can go to bed at 9:30 and sleep like the dickens until 3 or 3:30. Then it's a toss-up re - further sleep. As I'm still working, this really doesn't do. I'll be seriously dragging after 2-3 days of being up at 3 am. I take half a doxylamine succinate daily. I might take a full one once a month. I also take the Sonata as needed. It's great, puts you to sleep for maybe two hours. It is Rx. I try not to take more than 1 -2 a week.

Cutting back on the liquor helps. Staying active/exercise helps also. Getting out of bed and doing something instead of laying there does help, but I find it nearly impossible to do.
Turn_the_Page is offline   Reply With Quote