Insurance Industry Agrees Coverage Too Often Denied

Sandy

Full time employment: Posting here.
An article in today's NYT notes that 11% of all individuals who apply for health coverage are not offered a policy after the insurers review their medical conditions, and that rises to nearly 30 % for those in their 60s but too young for Medicare, according to a new industry survey to be released Wednesday. The industry’s trade group will release proposals to change that, including asking states to serve as reinsurers for high-risk cases.

The article also includes links to the proposal

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/19/business/19health.html?_r=2&ref=business&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Thanks for posting this, Sandy.

My DH was one of the 11% who couldn't qualify due to pre-existing conditions which are not at all costly or which were thirteen years ago. He does have insurance because we were able to convert his employer's insurance.

I think it's good that this is being looked at more seriously, but it still seems like any resolution is ages away (requiring insurance companies to cover everyone/affordable premiums). Even Hillary Clinton now isn't promising immediate reform, but is saying instead "by the end of (her) second term."

I got rejected by the Blue Cross affliate last month for insurance coverage. Luckily Kaiser was happy to offer me coverage at price below my previous COBRA coverage.

Weird thing is that told me I could reapply after 5 years of treatment for my pre existing condition, but didn't tell me what the condition was.?

Anybody know if I have right to find out why I was rejected?

...Even Hillary Clinton now isn't promising immediate reform, but is saying instead "by the end of (her) second term."

Is this the same as saying voters need to elect her for two terms? :-\

Back
Top Bottom