Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Interesting read on ins and outs of repealing ACA...
Old 11-21-2016, 11:11 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Interesting read on ins and outs of repealing ACA...

I am posting this link to an LA Times piece NOT FOR THE PURPOSE OF ANY DISCUSSION. Only for FYI on a topic that is of concern to many on the Forum. Ultimately it will be what it will be but I thought the writer provided an interesting road map on the ACA debate.

If mods feel it is of a violation of political rules, feel free to delete.

Despite Republican pledges, 'repealing Obamacare' will be almost impossible — but it could be vandalized - LA Times
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2016, 11:19 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bummer- the page has an ad blocker-blocker.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Link works for me. Sorry. Maybe you could do a google search with headline and get there that way...

Headline:"Despite Republican pledges, 'repealing Obamacare' will be almost impossible — but it could be vandalized"
Old 11-21-2016, 11:26 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I'm sure there are hundreds or thousands of articles everywhere about this issue. I believe I saw one just this morning that states the opposite of the linked one here. Believe all or none, if something actually happens after the inauguration, you'll know then which were accurate.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:32 AM   #5

Thanks for sharing. The link worked for me.

ACA is the sole reason that we were able to retire so early. Before ACA we couldn't have afforded health insurance. Sure hope it isn't gutted.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:15 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Here is a link to the Ryan plan, which is probably the most thought out alternative.

A Better Way
Old 11-21-2016, 01:12 PM   #7

A very similar article ran in the Philadelphia Inquirer. I've taken a wait and see position
Old 11-21-2016, 02:05 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
.......... I've taken a wait and see position
I think it might be too soon for that.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:29 PM   #9

Quote:
You could always deactivate your ad-blocker for that page, or for pages on that domain. It seems fair enough to allow newspapers to derive some ad income in return for allowing us to read the content they provide.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:51 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
You could always deactivate your ad-blocker for that page, or for pages on that domain. It seems fair enough to allow newspapers to derive some ad income in return for allowing us to read the content they provide.
Or not, my choice.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
You could always deactivate your ad-blocker for that page, or for pages on that domain.
The easiest thing to do is right-click the link in Chrome and select "Open link in incognito window". This is how I view most articles on the big newspaper websites, since they usually have ad-blocker detectors or have limits on the number of free articles you can read per month.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Or not, my choice.
Well of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
The easiest thing to do is right-click the link in Chrome and select "Open link in incognito window". This is how I view most articles on the big newspaper websites, since they usually have ad-blocker detectors or have limits on the number of free articles you can read per month.
I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the idea.

Old 11-21-2016, 03:03 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Great tip!
Old 11-21-2016, 03:21 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Google does not allow cloaked pages in their listings (free content shown to their spiders, and a different screen to Google search users). Most sites want to be in Google, so all if you search for the title or some unique content in Google and you can usually read for free. Otherwise you can report them to Google, which I always really enjoy doing, and it is a hoot seeing them get delisted or have to remove their cloaked pages.

I don't know for adblockers but it gets around the free article limits.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 11-29-2016, 08:02 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I have my own gut feeling about what will happen about the ACA repeal and replace debate, but will keep to myself to not violate any the rules here.

As for the ad blocking, uBlock Origin for Mozilla reads the article fine without even the nag warning from LA Times that I have the blocker on .
Old 11-29-2016, 08:15 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I have my own gut feeling about what will happen about the ACA repeal and replace debate, but will keep to myself to not violate any the rules here.

As for the ad blocking, uBlock Origin for Mozilla reads the article fine without even the nag warning from LA Times that I have the blocker on .
Thanks. I get the whole "we need to pay for content" thing, but it creeps me out thinking that sites are snooping inside my computer. Naive, I know.

The new ad blocker let me read the article linked above.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:33 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here is a link to the Ryan plan, which is probably the most thought out alternative.
And therefore the least likely to ever get implemented.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:42 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I was reading online today. The ACA gets cut, and so may Medicare be done away with. Says the gov't. may rebate older and sicker adults and send'em to private plans.

Anyway it goes, healthcare for those 65 and older will be priced higher and benefits will be less.

That really scares us Type II diabetics.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:21 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks. I get the whole "we need to pay for content" thing, but it creeps me out thinking that sites are snooping inside my computer. Naive, I know.

The new ad blocker let me read the article linked above.
You're welcome. That's the best ad blocker I've seen thus far. Though not 100% effective, catches some of those creeps advertisers which other blockers don't.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:20 AM   #20

My vision of an ACA repeal is that it will take a couple of years so that people have time to switch over. Provisions like "pre-existing conditions" will be kept, but I've heard the insurance companies are lobbying to loosen that up if someone one changes plans. Competition across state borders will be the main attempt at cost control as well as lowering the coverage requirements. This will be good if you stay healthy and with catastrophic care if a young person gets cancer they won't pay the whole bill......but out of pocket costs when you are ill will be even higher than with the ACA.

I don't really see a way to control costs without changes to the delivery of treatment and more preventative medicine and increasing the number of healthy people paying premiums.

I expect a lot will be left up to individual states to manage and that Medicare and Medicaid will be also left to the states and funded by simple block grants.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
Closed Thread