Intermittent Fasting, Yes it Works

Here's another thumbs up for IF. I started 3 months ago, have dropped 15 pounds. My doctor was quite impressed. I do the 16/8 version- basically I eat nothing after 5 pm or before 9 am. I do feel hungry at times during the night, though it's not hard to sleep through. I have a lot of dreams about food or eating. This is by far the easiest diet I have tried, and it's sustainable.

IF does not cause weight loss for me. I was doing 16:8 for pretty long while a couple of years ago. I had decided to try skipping the evening meal to see if having a very settled digestion before bed resolved some midnight/early morning digestive discomfort. It really did help, so I stuck with it. But not any weight loss.

I later went on keto, and that very effectively caused weight loss, plus made all digestive issues vanish.

Inspired by my brother’s Zero Apple Watch app which I downloaded, I started doing 14:10 a few weeks ago. Again, no weight loss (and 4-5 pounds had crept back on during the lockdown summer with limited access to exercise), but I have noticed a significant increase in energy during the day.

I am now fortunately back home where I have far more exercise opportunities plus friendly weather.

Yes. The first time I Intermittent fasted was about 30 years ago when I had never heard of IF. I just decided to eat one meal a day, which is now known as OMAD. Neither one existed to me at the time. It was just something I decided to do so I could still eat what i wanted in one meal and lose weight. Lost about 2 pounds per week and 30 overall to get to my goal weight.

Recently, instead of IF, I do occasional 3 day to more days of water only fasting. Two years ago, I did a 30 day water only fast. The reason now is for health. The weight loss is an added benefit. Ironically as we speak I am on day 8 of a planned 30 day or more water fast with a plan to revert back to a whole foods, plant-based way of life. As Joel Fuhrman recommends, a nutritarian diet.

Alan Goldhamer of True North is a great advocate, too
We are set up to fail by the SAD American diet. SOS, salt, oil and sugar.

Now that I am retired, I feel that I can truly focus on that major area without the requirements or interference of a job and stress. Now that my financial matters are set, it is time to tackle this.

I always feel better when I eat better but old habits, as we all know, are hard to break. But we must never give up.

Last edited:
Fasting works and so does low carb.

I did the 5:2 version, where you restrict calories twice a week, and I did reach my goal. I think it took two to three years with lots of ups and downs. Since then, I find it easier to do a full fast once a week. I've also learned that I should stay away from carbs on eating days. Unfortunately, I usually don't. So I've been stuck at 5-7 lbs above my goal weight all year.

Started 20:4 in Sept and down 25 pounds, today. I don’t measure, weigh, track macros, ect. I do try to monitor and cut down on processed foods and eat plants only. Feel great, sleep really well and slow but steady increase in energy. Water and block coffee only between 2PM and 10AM. Physical coming up next month so will soon have current lab values. Have occasionally gone 22 hours when out and about at 10. Don’t really notice any difference from 20 hours.

I have been doing IF 18/6 or 16/8 for about 8 months, I do not have breakfast, either eat a Snack at 11 or go straight to Lunch at 1, eat a light Dinner at 7.

I reached my ideal weight after losing around 20 lbs in 6 months & have stayed there since. Although I do not have to lose any more weight, I do feel good with IF so far.
It feels like a routine now & does not feel like I am depriving myself in any way.

If you go approx 10-12 hours between dinner and breakfast for sure the digestion process improves. The late night snacking or big meal then sleep after will wreck havoc in your body. It is not worth it. That Taco Bell commercial advertising a 4th meal of the day is insane.

From what I read it takes 12 hours to get into autophagy where the powerful healing benefits of IF start to happen.

Certainly better digestion is a benefit of not eating at least 12. That was what got me started initially - not eating many hours before bedtime for settled digestion while sleeping. Definitely helped.

Companies are always trying to get us to eat and drink more, and more often, and special foods to “help” you through/right after exercising, etc. Super unhealthy.

I am happy I lost those 22 lbs from IF, but I really do not know if what I lost was muscle (of little I have) or was it body fat ??.

As an aside I do not know if the gloomy news every day of Covid deaths & hospitalizations has effected my mood & got the motivation out of me. It would have been great if I exercised along with doing IF, apart from just warming the couch at home most of the time apart from a little yoga & neighborhood walks.

It’s probably mostly body fat, because going for many hours without food makes insulin drop considerably, and this allows your body to burn it’s fat reserves instead for fuel.

I assume your clothes fit different. You should be able to tell where you lost some fat.

Routine moderate exercise is still really important.

So finally went to the Dr for checkup and bloodwork. Skipped going to the dr the entire year of 2020.

The last year has been more difficult for me with winter and not going to the gym. I gained 15 lbs and started eating a dessert almost every day. Got back on course about a month ago since I knew my Dr visit was coming up. I did IF for past 9 months but still included sugar too many times.

I was dreading the test results because end of 2019 BP was elevated, blood sugar high, cholesterol high and also overweight.

My test results showed I gained only 7 pounds and BP was 124/68. ALL the other test results had improved and were in the normal range.

How is that possible since over 2020 we stayed inside not exercising and eating habits became poor? Also some stress due to pandemic.

The only thing I can attribute it to is IF. My Dr was as pleased as I was. [emoji16]

So finally went to the Dr for checkup and bloodwork. Skipped going to the dr the entire year of 2020.

The last year has been more difficult for me with winter and not going to the gym. I gained 15 lbs and started eating a dessert almost every day. Got back on course about a month ago since I knew my Dr visit was coming up. I did IF for past 9 months but still included sugar too many times.

I was dreading the test results because end of 2019 BP was elevated, blood sugar high, cholesterol high and also overweight.

My test results showed I gained only 7 pounds and BP was 124/68. ALL the other test results had improved and were in the normal range.

How is that possible since over 2020 we stayed inside not exercising and eating habits became poor? Also some stress due to pandemic.

The only thing I can attribute it to is IF. My Dr was as pleased as I was. [emoji16]

Two things - I though I was the only one that tried to get my act together about a month before my annual Dr. appt. :D

Second - sounds similar. Overall not in bad shape, but like to eat too much sugar. Got giged last year when my numbers were a bit off. Been doing
IF half heartedly for a few months, so I’m hoping I “pass” my tests this time. I’ll get more focused on IF for the coming month.

One thing I noticed about IF is that it helps me focus on cutting out a lot of snacking. I know it has other benefits, but that seems to be the one that I notice the most.

April 19th was Fast Day in Colonial America. A holiday of public fasting and prayer. I think I'll celebrate.

Back
Top Bottom