Intermittent Fasting, Yes it Works

The two most important things I have learned related to this topic are do not eat anything within a few hours of bedtime and cut out sugar and refined food as much as possible. People do not realize how bad those refined white flour hamburger buns are in combination with the meat,just as an example.

I would not seek information on you tube unless it is from well documented research. The 2 best sources of info on fasting are Dr.Peter Attia who has a podcast. Brilliant guy who has some of the best researchers and doctors on the planet.The second is Rhonda Patrick,a scientist who has many of the worlds best experts with interviews of many who have run clinical trials about this and other topics. Attia and Patrick both focus on living longer healthier with functionality.
You realize there are more than a couple people that have studied this right? The video author I referenced has been doing it 9-10 years and regularly sights studies in the descriptions or during the videos on some aspect he's referring to.

You realize there are more than a couple people that have studied this right? The video author I referenced has been doing it 9-10 years and regularly sights studies in the descriptions or during the videos on some aspect he's referring to.

Never said he didn’t. Simply making the point that there is a lot of garbage put out and one needs to make sure of the source. I know the two I referenced are excellent which is why I mentioned them. I made this very clear if you bothered to read the beginning of my post.

Last edited:
Has anybody experienced a very low body temp doing IF (due to slowing down of metabolism, I imagine, and I don't mind that as I'm not trying to lose weight.) Being hungry is tolerable, but I get so cold when I eat dinner too early or I don't eat for a long time. I imagine I could always bundle up, but it makes it hard to fall asleep. Time to get my electric blanket out!

Last edited:
Highlevel overview: PDF in this post: https://www.early-retirement.org/fo...asting-yes-it-works-101778-3.html#post2358310

LSUvnCg.jpg

Darn, is that the right number for autophagy(24-48 hours)?? Too bad as I don't think I can last 24 hours without eating.

I was hoping it was shorter than that...

Last edited:
DW, who always ran hot, is now cold a lot. But we're attributing it to shedding 60 lbs of insulation more than to the IF. I'm doing IF too, and haven't had any temperature changes that are noticeable. I've lost 40 lbs, but don't have the temperature issue.

Has anybody experienced a very low body temp doing IF (due to slowing down of metabolism, I imagine, and I don't mind that as I'm not trying to lose weight.) Being hungry is tolerable, but I get so cold when I eat dinner too early or I don't eat for a long time. I imagine I could always bundle up, but it makes it hard to fall asleep. Time to get my electric blanket out!

I do not believe that IF slows the metabolism.

Feeling cold - I would have my thyroid checked.

I do not believe that IF slows the metabolism.

Feeling cold - I would have my thyroid checked.

No, I get extremely cold only when I don't eat for a long period of time. I'm surprised that other people don't experience this? I'm 5'5" (female) and 128lbs or so.

By the way, I do have a thyroid problem, but I'm hyperthyroid (fast metabolism) which has been under control with meds for about 10-15 years. I get my numbers checked annually and my numbers are within the normal range, and very slightly on the hyper side.

Last edited:
No, I get extremely cold only when I don't eat for a long period of time. I'm surprised that other people don't experience this? I'm 5'5" and 128lbs or so.

By the way, I do have a thyroid problem, but I'm hyperthyroid (fast metabolism) which has been under control with meds for about 10-15 years. I get my numbers checked annually and my numbers are within the normal range, and slightly on the hyper side.
Being hyperthyroid you would expect to be warmer not colder.

Being hyperthyroid you would expect to be warmer not colder.
Yeah, I know, although I never felt hot before I was diagnosed (more cold than hot). I take it back... I did experience occasional thyroid storms before the meds kicked in however. (The thyroid storm feels like a bad case of hot flashes with 120+ beats per minute heart rate, sweating, and agitation...)

Last edited:
Also is it possible that you're doing low calorie as well? That might be the issue.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/477122-feeling-cold-from-not-eating-many-calories/

Far from doing low cal, actually :LOL:

All I'm doing is to increase the non-eating time duration, like not eating from 8 PM to noon, for example.

I'm just thinking though... Even thermometer instructions say not to check your temp right after you eat, so I'm sure everyone experiences body temp changes by eating/not eating. Maybe mine is more pronounced (I'm thinner than average) or I'm just more aware of my own body temp change? No idea.

Last edited:
DW, who always ran hot, is now cold a lot. But we're attributing it to shedding 60 lbs of insulation more than to the IF. I'm doing IF too, and haven't had any temperature changes that are noticeable. I've lost 40 lbs, but don't have the temperature issue.

Well, cold or not, congrats on your DW's accomplishment! 60 lbs, especially for a woman, is a whole lot of pounds!!! (And congrats on your 40 lbs too!)

Last edited:
I've lost 85 lbs and counting doing IF (one meal a day) and do feel cold quite a bit but I've lost a lot of insulation and living in a cold climate with a ton of snow right now. A hot bath with my book is my solution. We put in a new 6' soaker tub a few years ago and had rarely used it due to hot tub in the back yard but its getting used frequently this winter.

I also do a 48 hour fast every third week. Surprisingly not that hard. Usually go from dinner Wednesday to dinner Friday.

All I'm doing is to increase the non-eating time duration, like not eating from 8 PM to noon, for example.

I'm just thinking though... Even thermometer instructions say not to check your temp right after you eat, so I'm sure everyone experiences body temp changes by eating/not eating. Maybe mine is more pronounced or I'm just more aware of my own body temp change? No idea.

Have you tracked your daily calorie intake? With fewer meals, perhaps you are not getting enough calories.

Also is it possible that you're doing low calorie as well? That might be the issue.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/477122-feeling-cold-from-not-eating-many-calories/
Even with low calorie, IF itself should not slow the metabolism.

Insulin is a switch.

If you have excess body fat, IF will allow you to easily burn your own body fat to make up for the calories you aren't consuming. It allows time for blood insulin levels to drop low enough so that your body will start drawing on body fat for fuel.

It's if you are in a state of hyperinsulinimia - chronic excess blood insulin - that keeps the body from burning it's own fat, and thus low calories will result in a slowing of the metabolism to compensate. Most folks with metabolic problems like obesity, type II diabetes, fatty liver, etc., have chronic high blood insulin which doesn't allow them to burn body fat even in the face of reduced calories. Frequent snacking exacerbates the problem.

Last edited:
Have you tracked your daily calorie intake? With fewer meals, perhaps you are not getting enough calories.

Thank you, FIREd. I don't particularly skip a meal, or have fewer meals, as I'm kind of a glazer; I basically just eat when I'm hungry, but give myself a longer night/morning rest period. Having said that, I'm not tracking caloric intake, so you could be right that I'm not getting as many calories.

I'm just thinking though... Even thermometer instructions say not to check your temp right after you eat, so I'm sure everyone experiences body temp changes by eating/not eating. Maybe mine is more pronounced (I'm thinner than average) or I'm just more aware of my own body temp change? No idea.
I think that's just by mouth as your mouth temp will be influenced by what you ate or drank. Could check by ear instead.

Thank you, FIREd. I don't particularly skip a meal, or have fewer meals, as I'm kind of a glazer; I basically just eat when I'm hungry, but give myself a longer night/morning rest period. Having said that, I'm not tracking caloric intake, so you could be right that I'm not getting as many calories.

That shouldn't matter at all unless you've run out of body fat. See my post above.

I think that's just by mouth as your mouth temp will be influenced by what you ate or drank. Could check by ear instead.
:facepalm: Thanks for pointing that out. That was a bad example.

Even with low calorie, IF itself should not slow the metabolism.

Insulin is a switch.

If you have excess body fat, IF will allow you to easily burn your own body fat to make up for the calories you aren't consuming. It allows time for blood insulin levels to drop low enough so that your body will start drawing on body fat for fuel.

It's if you are in a state of hyperinsulinimia - chronic excess blood insulin - that keeps the body from burning it's own fat, and thus low calories will result in a slowing of the metabolism to compensate. Most folks with metabolic problems like obesity, type II diabetes, fatty liver, etc., have chronic high blood insulin which doesn't allow them to burn body fat even in the face of reduced calories. Frequent snacking exacerbates the problem.

I didn't realize that you had posted this until I read your last post. Thank you for this. I bet this could be my problem. I am a glazer (which DW says is the reason for my high A1C (5.9) as it never gets a chance to come down and stay there. I just hate the feeling of being stuffed, hence my grazing habit...) Although I would be very surprised if my caloric intake was found to be too low (I don't restrict fat intake at all, and we eat fatty pork and use olive oil liberally), but my body is probably not working the way it should due to my high insulin level.

Last edited:
IF is one way to bring down insulin levels. Carbohydrate restriction is another as it allows very little sugar to enter the blood in the first place. When blood sugar levels are allowed to drop, insulin can turn off, body fat can burn. A high A1C means that your blood sugars are chronically high which will keep insulin levels high trying to bring it down, and not allow fat burning.

Constant snacking is not a good idea, even though multiple small meals are routinely advised by well meaning nutritionists.

Personally, once I cut out most carbs I quit feeling stuffed, even if I eat quite a bit at one meal.

For what its worth, I've been doing keto since the 1st of the year. Lost about 7 lbs the first week or so, then kinda stayed the same for a couple of weeks. Started a roughly 18/6 IF (actually Time restricted feeding) the beginning of last week and immediately resumed losing weight and feel great! I'm not hungry at all and the only thing I have in the morning is black coffee with a few drops of Stevia. Then nothing until noon and I'm usually done eating by 6:30pm. I've got more energy and just feel leaner. Since I'm 59 and ride a desk 8 hours a day, I'm thinking that the calories I don't eat for breakfast are making all the difference and telling me that I really don't need as much calories as I thought. Really exciting stuff!

I didn't realize that you had posted this until I read your last post. Thank you for this. I bet this could be my problem. I am a glazer (which DW says is the reason for my high A1C (5.9) as it never gets a chance to come down and stay there. I just hate the feeling of being stuffed, hence my glazing habit...) Although I would be very surprised if my caloric intake was found to be too low (I don't restrict fat intake at all, and we eat fatty pork and use olive oil liberally), but my body is probably not working the way it should due to my high insulin level.

I think you mean grazer, someone who eats a little, but often. That's what the medical profession told me to be, to control my Type II diabetes. But from what I've experienced, as wee as what I've learned from Dr. Jason Fung, Dr. Peter Attia, and others, this is the exact opposite of what you should do. Allowing your body to have a significant period of time (16 or so hours in my case) lets the body processes that are supposed to occur happen. Grazing stops them. I'm not sure how any of this would affect temperature, but my A1c dropped from 5.9-6.2 to 5.2 after just a few months of IF. I highly recommend it. Not so much for weight loss, that's more an effect of LCHF, but as a way to allow your body to complete it's natural cycles, which should overall improve your health.

I think you mean grazer, someone who eats a little, but often.

Yes, and grazing is harder, habit wise, to really control and reduce overall intake. When you train your body to always be eating, it's much more difficult to do portion control, or deal with feeling hungry. I'm sure it works for some, but for anyone who's always battled with those few extra pounds, eh, probably not.

Back
Top Bottom