Join Early Retirement Today

International and Domestic
Old 03-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

International and Domestic

Let's say I want to semi-retire early, which I think I can do in two to five years, and live half the year in the U.S. and the other half of the year in southern Italy, France or Spain. However, I will be in my mid-50's at the time and so I need good health insurance obviously. (Btw, I know there are less expensive places to live than southern Europe, but that's my dream - just love Europe.)

So here is my question: are there health insurers, with an HSA or without, that will insure you (at a pretty reasonable rate) such that you can live domestically or abroad and be covered?

I don't know that much about it and am wondering if such an animal even exists before I start planning and fantasizing about such a scenario.
Whisper9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
Administrator

I don't know the answer to your question but I love your plans. We'll be spending over 5 months in Europe this summer, including France and Spain.

I am fortunate to have group insurance through my ex-employer that covers overseas. However, that can always change so I'm interested in the responses to your question.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thx. You posted in a somewhat similar thread that I started last year about retiring in France:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ope-56992.html

The information in this thread was fantastic and much appreciated. However, things have changed a little for me since then and I don't see myself in the short-medium term being able to actually fully retire in Europe. This has to do with kids in college and other family/biz considerations.

However, I can definitely see living 3-6 months out of the year overseas in Europe and that's why I need an insurer that is flexible, reasonable to work with and not exhorbitant in costs for someone self-employed.

Hopefully someone else out there has been in this situation?
Old 03-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't know about retiring there or living there semi-permanently months at a time, but I'd love to spend at least a long summer there sometime in early retirement and see if I like it as much as I suspect I might. Any insights about insurance that can accommodate such a thing would be most welcome.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

France and Spain have different approaches to providing healthcare with regard to insurance. There are perpetual traveler blogs that detail how they handle healthcare coverage internationally - perhaps that might help give you some ideas. Google perpetual traveler healthcare and see what you get.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
France and Spain have different approaches to providing healthcare with regard to insurance. There are perpetual traveler blogs that detail how they handle healthcare coverage internationally - perhaps that might help give you some ideas. Google perpetual traveler healthcare and see what you get.

Thanks! Great tip and I just noticed that someone posted here.