Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
An addict wonders: besides Bogleheads, what other sites are people "addicted" to?
I used to be an admin a family travel type forum for ten years. I'm still friends with about 15 people from that forum on a private Facebook site. The forum went under due to fighting. It started out great, but a few bad ones came in and ruined it. It was addicting in the good years.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2012, 12:49 AM   #22

I like Huffington Post, although I don't post there. I post a bit on Bogleheads. The rest of my favorite websites are medicine related.

Quote:
An addict wonders: besides Bogleheads, what other sites are people "addicted" to?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I like Huffington Post, although I don't post there. I post a bit on Bogleheads. The rest of my favorite websites are medicine related.
I meant to ask about forums instead of "websites".

I'm thinking of forums where we are all essentially equal in our vote.

If I respond to an article like, for instance, a Morningstar article with those reader comments, then to me they are just giving us comment capability to lure us in and increase their site appeal. Still occasionally I add my 2 cents there.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

Internet forums have always struck me as the modern equivalent of 'pen pals' on steroids ....
Forums are highly cool - some forums anyway. If the topic is interesting and the members are posting regularly they become a community. You get to know members and count on their contribution to a topic and their unique perspectives.

The penpal analogy isn't quite right, imo. I think a good forum is a lot like my local coffee shop or bar - lots of interesting discussions, there are regulars, some newbies every now and then, you can sit in the corner and watch, jump into the current discussion or leave anytime. Participation is fully optional.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I guess finding a forum is pretty easy. I just searched on "internet forum" and got, for example, this:
Best internet forums you know -- list them all for our collective benefit | Ask MetaFilter

I checked out Coffee Geek at: CoffeeGeek - CoffeeGeek Discussions
Old 11-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Forums are highly cool - some forums anyway. If the topic is interesting and the members are posting regularly they become a community. You get to know members and count on their contribution to a topic and their unique perspectives.

The penpal analogy isn't quite right, imo. I think a good forum is a lot like my local coffee shop or bar - lots of interesting discussions, there are regulars, some newbies every now and then, you can sit in the corner and watch, jump into the current discussion or leave anytime. Participation is fully optional.
I like this description, Janet.

The forum I'm most involved with (not here) and first got involved with started as a bunch of random women who were all expecting babies the same month/year. These same kids are now turning 10 - so we've been hanging out together online for more than 10 years.

The fighting/drama has happened - but most of the trouble makers either deleted or were banned. We closed the doors to new members years ago - but allow invited "friends" to join.

About 100 women - and even though I've only met 30 or so IRL, these women are part of my community... my peer group. We come from very different perspectives, several countries, different economic backgrounds, religious backgrounds, and political leanings. But we're a community.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #27
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
I guess finding a forum is pretty easy. I just searched on "internet forum" and got, for example, this:
Best internet forums you know -- list them all for our collective benefit | Ask MetaFilter
+1 I missed this completely.
Thanks for this link... amazing... Have put it in favorite places... Can't wait to try some of the links. Imagine... a forum just to discuss "Curly Hair"!

I see at least 20 sites I'll be interested in... and many that I think others in this forum would enjoy, based on their comments here.
One that amazed me was on Home Brew... with 356,000 threads, and more than 3 Million posts.

More homework...

As my old drinking buddy (30 years ago) used to say..
"The days are too long, and the nights aren't long enough."
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:18 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Yep, I would agree...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

The whole concept of "addiction to internet forums" is bogus and not worthy of serious consideration. Genuine, medical addiction, for instance to nicotine, cocaine or heroine, is well-understood, both as to the physiological mechanism, which is preferential binding of the addictive chemical to receptor sites in the brain, and as to the long-term deleterious effects of using the drug. By contrast, phrases like "sex addiction" or "addiction to computer games" are not based on either an understanding of a physiological mechanism nor on an actual demonstration of long-term health problems. In fact, enjoyment of these activities is indistinguishable from other mere enjoyments in life.

When someone uses the phrase "sex addiction" or "internet forum addiction" he only means "you do something more than I think you should" with the added implication that any such pleasure that he does not share is inherently unworthy. It's just a rhetorical sucker punch.
Khufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsingh6675 View Post
What other web sites do you browse to satisfy your addiction?
The Mr.MoneyMustache forum (The Money Mustache Community - Index) and about 90 blogs.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khufu View Post
The whole concept of "addiction to internet forums" is bogus and not worthy of serious consideration. Genuine, medical addiction, for instance to nicotine, cocaine or heroine, is well-understood, both as to the physiological mechanism, which is preferential binding of the addictive chemical to receptor sites in the brain, and as to the long-term deleterious effects of using the drug. By contrast, phrases like "sex addiction" or "addiction to computer games" are not based on either an understanding of a physiological mechanism nor on an actual demonstration of long-term health problems. In fact, enjoyment of these activities is indistinguishable from other mere enjoyments in life.

When someone uses the phrase "sex addiction" or "internet forum addiction" he only means "you do something more than I think you should" with the added implication that any such pleasure that he does not share is inherently unworthy. It's just a rhetorical sucker punch.
Thanks for clearing that up...

Old 12-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

As a proud possessor of extremely curly Irish hair, I visit curly-hair web sites occasionally for tips on how to keep my hair healthy.

Our society has a serious, irrational prejudice against curly hair. In younger years I was constantly being advised to "do something" about my "frizzy" hair texture. People acted like they were flat-out offended by hair that wouldn't lie down. I got all sorts of unsolicited, unwanted advice for how to make my hair "behave." New hairdressers would automatically come at me with straightening tongs. I even had my hair chemically straightened (a simply horrible process!) during my "career climbing" years, because its curliness was clearly holding me back. Yes, it is an important topic for many, although it may seem trival to you.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
+1. Imagine... a forum just to discuss "Curly Hair"!

"
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #33

I like the Garden Web/That Home Site forums. There are forums there for everything from kitchen remodeling, to crafts, to pets, to cooking, to politics, to home repair. There are some "so-so" forums and some excellent fast-moving ones where you can post a question or thought and get all sorts of quick responses. Every so often bullies step in and cause fights (there's always someone, it seems, who wants to play "internet cop") but the bully inevitably disappears.

As to being addicted, I am convinced it happens. I teach college students and it is quite apparent. Some even "fast" from the internet during Lent, or even just for a day or two, and find it nearly impossible to do.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
As a proud possessor of extremely curly Irish hair, I visit curly-hair web sites occasionally for tips on how to keep my hair healthy.

Our society has a serious, irrational prejudice against curly hair. In younger years I was constantly being advised to "do something" about my "frizzy" hair texture. ...
Whoa there partner . Don't take this the wrong way but I find myself very attracted to women with long curly hair.

DW has hair that frizzes up in moist conditions. I tell her it's just fine.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I don't see how I could possibly be offended by what is obviously a compliment! All curly hair gains volume in the presence of humidity. When I visit Florida or the UK, my hair can literally double in volume, and I see no problem with that

I prefer men with fluffy curls, too...

A.

Quote:
Whoa there partner . Don't take this the wrong way but I find myself very attracted to women with long curly hair.

DW has hair that frizzes up in moist conditions. I tell her it's just fine.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #36
Dryer sheet aficionado

I had to laugh. A Passages Addiction treatment ad showed up in my sidebar!!
Easypick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

This is the first forum I participated in, and essentially the only one. I went briefly to Bogleheads for SS re-pay advice, which was quite helpful. This board has obvious appeal to retirement or early retirement newbies, many of whom such as I hang around for other less tightly defined reasons. When one has various entitlements that he hopes to tweak, some of the these specialized blogs would be quite helpful As our society moves toward being less enterprise focused and more entitlement focused, the need for information on how to maximize what we get, paid for by others, and minimize what others get, paid for by us, (unfortunately) should increase.

There are a few good stock investing forums on InvestorVillage, but for the most part I feel that I can usually learn more in less time using Google. I don't often enjoy the advice giver role, as I feel that other than in very limited circumstances ("How do you do this?") I have little definitive to offer, and I really do not like to argue with people about things that can be better solved by experience, or are in fact disagreements about values and attitudes, which will never be adjusted, at least not within my attention span.

I have been given very helpful information on this board about things such as technology which I know little about, but at which many members are true experts.

If I go on a trip or for some reason cannot access this board fairly regularly, at first I miss it. This muct be a withdrawal effect, and as such is at least somewhat suggestive of addiction to the forum. I have found that after a few weeks I feel like I can take it or leave it, but once back home with the same dead spaces in my days as before, I tend to log on and often post. I suspect recidivism, to continue with the addiction frame.

I am always interested in when someone who has been here and participated in volume for some time, suddenly and publically turns in his keys. Or even more oddly, when he dramatically leaves, dramatically returns sometime later, then often as not, leaves once more. Why? What feelings has he been having that impelled him to act? I say he, because I cannot remember when a woman has done this.

Ha
Old 12-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I am always interested in when someone who has been here and participated in volume for some time, suddenly and publically turns in his keys. Or even more oddly, when he dramatically leaves, dramatically returns sometime later, then often as not, leaves once more. Why? What feelings has he been having that impelled him to act?
Why? I'm just the opposite. I'm amazed that so many senior members can patiently confront the same questions over and over and over. A very high percentage of the questions have been discussed at length, and the answers don't change much. The opposing POVs play out again and again too, can be (very) tiresome. Fortunately most folks recognize there will always be newbies coming aboard, and trying to help them can be rewarding. I'm surprised there aren't more stickies on common topics, though thankfully some are in FAQs.

And I can think of several women who post much less nowadays, won't name them. And I can think of several we've lost, I won't name them either except for Martha because she was such an incredibly good resource, I learned a lot from her. Maybe some men are just more "conspicuous' with their exits...

Old 12-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #39
Administrator

Quote:

Amethyst
I think I'm in love

Quote:

I prefer men with fluffy curls, too...

A.
Rats
Old 12-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Oh don't say Rats. Reasonable women know that past a certain age, men and their hair sometimes, shall we say, part ways, and it's still the same man except now he needs to wear a hat when it's cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

Rats