Join Early Retirement Today

IRMAA and Medicare for MFJ
Old 03-01-2022, 03:46 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

IRMAA and Medicare for MFJ

Hi,

Just turned 64 recently so starting to think about Medicare. I've already done some searching here and found the Boomer Benefits website and YouTube channel (thanks @REWahoo).

I know that AGI (possibly MAGI) plays a role in determining Medicare costs. DW won't be eligible until about 18 months after I am, so in the interim, how is MAGI determined for just me? We file MFJ, so do I just split our income in half for the period when I am eligible and DW is not?

Thanks.
Trooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2022, 03:50 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Unfortunately if you file jointly, they look at joint income. DS was 15 years older than I and when he started on Medicare (with SS income only) we got hit with IRMAA because I was still working FT.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 03:55 PM   #3
Administrator

I am hopeful that someone who really knows this will show up to comment. But, in the interim, what I believe happens is that IRMAA charges are per eligible person but the qualifying income level is your full joint AGI. So, for example, if your joint income in 2020 was $182k to $228k, then you will pay $68 extra premium per month for Part B in 2022 due to IRMAA. If both of you were Medicare eligible, then you would pay $136 per month extra premium for IRMAA.
Old 03-01-2022, 04:03 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I am hopeful that someone who really knows this will show up to comment. But, in the interim, what I believe happens is that IRMAA charges are per eligible person but the qualifying income level is your full joint AGI. So, for example, if your joint income in 2020 was $182k to $228k, then you will pay $68 extra premium per month for Part B in 2022 due to IRMAA. If both of you were Medicare eligible, then you would pay $136 per month extra premium for IRMAA.
Right. IRMAA charges are per person, the MAGI used is the joint AGI from your tax return of 2 years earlier with a few adjustments, mostly adding back in tax exempt income.

So, in this case, the adjusted gross income from the joint return is used, then modified, and if a surcharge results, is applied to only the one spouse.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 04:17 PM   #5

Thanks everyone. So since I am eligible in 2023, my 2021 MFJ MAGI will be used to determine any adjustments to the Plan B cost. Is this correct?
Old 03-01-2022, 04:20 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
Thanks everyone. So since I am eligible in 2023, my 2021 MFJ MAGI will be used to determine any adjustments to the Plan B cost. Is this correct?
Yes, but you won't know the threshold until the end of this year. It is inflation adjusted, so it will almost certainly be higher than the current $182k AGI. This guy has been spot on with his prior predictions https://thefinancebuff.com/medicare-...-brackets.html
Old 03-01-2022, 04:34 PM   #7

Great, thanks. Of course I just finished my 2021 return and my MAGI (AGI + muni bond fund interest) is slightly over the threshold for 2022 payments. Wished I had known this prior to doing my EOY Roth conversion.

I'll have a look at what The Finance Buff forecasts for the 2023 brackets.
Old 03-01-2022, 04:42 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Great, thanks. Of course I just finished my 2021 return and my MAGI (AGI + muni bond fund interest) is slightly over the threshold for 2022 payments. Wished I had known this prior to doing my EOY Roth conversion.

I'll have a look at what The Finance Buff forecasts for the 2023 brackets.

You should be aware that Part D prescription plans also have IRMAA, so that can add up to about another $77 per person.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 04:54 PM   #9

Can I also assume that Advantage plans (Part C) are not impacted by income? Not sure I want to go the Part C route but would be good to know.
Old 03-02-2022, 05:07 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Can I also assume that Advantage plans (Part C) are not impacted by income? Not sure I want to go the Part C route but would be good to know.

You will pay IRMAA with Advantage plans too. No escape other than lower income.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote