Is Hard Work/Play Good for You?

windsurf said:
Got in an hour and a half of downhill skiing at our local slope yesterday. Mid am to early afternoon: most of the patrons are codgers there then to avoid the onslaught of reckless kids late pm. And they're all good.
My sister lives out in Steamboat. She is 75 and her BF of 30 years just turned 80 and skis regularly with a group called the "Over the Hill Gang." He is incredible. His kids are my age and astound me every time I see them. I guess it helps to live in a place like that.

OkieTexan said:
I am getting prepared for softball season again this year by ramping up my exercise a little each week. I had to forego the "Over 50 fast pitch men's league" this year because I am having trouble seeing the ball with bifocals. The spped is approx. 70 mph from 45 feet away. I just can't see it quickly enough, especially a riser (a pitch that breaks up) on the inside part of the plate.

However, the slow-pitch coed team says they are glad to have me and I am going to play with them!

I think it has been very good for me to participate in team sports. It helps the mind as well as the body.
I used to coach and play on a coed slowpitch softball team. There's advantages to being in right field if your secondbaseman is a good looking gal. Distracting, though. Today, my my bifocals might prevent me from seeing her, not to mention the ball. :D

donheff said:
I'm planning to go snowboarding on Monday. I'll tell you Tuesday how my 58 YO body feels.
Just got back. Not too bad for the first time out this year. Put in four hours, carving pretty well on intermediate slopes but no black diamonds. I took a few falls, one pretty spectacular. But the machine made snow was soft. My biggest problem with snow boards is getting up. I can't face downhill and just stand up like the yutes do. I have to turn around and face uphill. It is a PITA. I do a gazillion situps and crunchies so it isn't a weak stomach -- something else. :-\

Back
Top Bottom