Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-23-2015, 09:39 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I once worked for a guy who ran a 50-mile race. We all told him he was nuts. He's in his late 30s; I wonder what shape he'll be in 20 years from now if he keeps that up.
Chalk it all up to individual differences.
I have a friend who recently signed up for a 50 mile race, and he's in his 70s. He also did back to back (Saturday/Sunday) marathons last year. He does at least ten marathons a year, and has for years.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2015, 08:05 AM   #42
gone traveling

So for those of us that have family history of longevity, this could be bad news; while those of us with shorter family longevity, it might be good news. My family is a mixed bag, so who knows.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:22 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tinkering with the formula is irresistible.
This study focuses on a new class of drugs designed to clear the accumulation of immortal 'senescent' cells associated with aging. Pairing cancer drug, dasatnib, with antioxodant quercetin achieved "remarkable" results with a single dose.

Scripps Research, Mayo Clinic Scientists Find New Class of Drugs that Dramatically Increases Healthy Lifespan
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:46 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
Tinkering with the formula is irresistible.
This study focuses on a new class of drugs designed to clear the accumulation of immortal 'senescent' cells associated with aging. Pairing cancer drug, dasatnib, with antioxodant quercetin achieved "remarkable" results with a single dose.

Scripps Research, Mayo Clinic Scientists Find New Class of Drugs that Dramatically Increases Healthy Lifespan
Wow, this sure sounds promising. Imagine, lessening frailty and increasing cardiovascular ability in old age.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:54 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Coincidentally, I just finished reading Being Mortal yesterday (a really good book). I was also surprised by the longevity and family history percentage given.

But, I think when you factor in all the things that affect how long you live then I can see it. It isn't by the way just that people sometimes die of accidents. I can see that many deaths may be due to illnesses that are not really related that much to family history.

We think of family history as affecting things like heart disease. But, what about the person who dies of the flu? I would think that family history wouldn't be all that relevant.

Also, bear in mind that some people may take "good" family history as a reason not to be concerned about certain things and may take "bad" family history as a reason to be concerned. My husband's father had heart disease (before 60) and died of a heart attack (mid-70s). DH has always been very aware of that and he has been careful to do things to avoid coronary problems. Imagine someone with no family history of heart disease. That person may not be so careful. In fact, that person may be over-confident and feel they don't have to do anything to try to avoid heart disease and may live a less healthy lifestyle.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:25 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Coincidentally, I just finished reading Being Mortal yesterday (a really good book). I was also surprised by the longevity and family history percentage given.

But, I think when you factor in all the things that affect how long you live then I can see it. It isn't by the way just that people sometimes die of accidents. I can see that many deaths may be due to illnesses that are not really related that much to family history.

We think of family history as affecting things like heart disease. But, what about the person who dies of the flu? I would think that family history wouldn't be all that relevant.

Also, bear in mind that some people may take "good" family history as a reason not to be concerned about certain things and may take "bad" family history as a reason to be concerned. My husband's father had heart disease (before 60) and died of a heart attack (mid-70s). DH has always been very aware of that and he has been careful to do things to avoid coronary problems. Imagine someone with no family history of heart disease. That person may not be so careful. In fact, that person may be over-confident and feel they don't have to do anything to try to avoid heart disease and may live a less healthy lifestyle.
That is such a good and valid comment. Heredity and environment are, I think, trumped by the influence of sheer luck or chance. People may die unexpectedly soon or late, despite all probabilities.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:45 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

My DS's MIL shared with us the fact that no one in her family lived much into their 70s and that she didn't expect a long life. She is about 67 now, quite a bit more than chubby, and has a long list of health issues. I suspect she is managing her choices based on her expectations.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:18 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A few interesting quotes from the book "Supercentenarians', co-authored by James Vaupel. PDF version here -

MPIDR - Supercentenarians

Quote:
The record holder in longevity is still the French woman Jeanne Calment, who died in 1997 at the age of 122. The book "Supercentenarians" celebrates her life - how she met the painter Vincent van Gogh when she was 13, how she later allowed herself one glass of port and one cigarette a day, and how she liked good food and wine, including cakes and chocolate, which she ate every day.
Quote:
Chris Mortensen’s long life is also detailed in the book. Born in Denmark, he died at 115 in the United States. Still the record holder as the world’s oldest living man, at his advanced age he still smoked cigars.
Quote:
So far the only thing for certain is that being a woman is clearly advantageous, since ninety percent of those celebrating their 115th birthday were women. Having ancestors who lived exceptionally long played as little a role as economic background and half of the supercentenarians had no children.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:12 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
My family is a mixed bag, so who knows.
Mine too! Oh, we were talking about longevity...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:37 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Longevity is definitely not a trait in my family history. I can only find one Uncle that made it into his 80s. Most males (including my father) have checked out in their early 70s, others died in accidents...
Derslickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:57 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

If you use your family longevity to plan your retirement savings spend-down you will live to be 100.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:43 PM   #52
Gone but not forgotten

Along with the nature/nurture argument, the second part of understanding and accepting theories on longevity comes from evaluating statistical significance.

Statistical significance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While hating the subject when I studied it some 60 years ago, it generated a cynicism that has helped in sorting out theory from fact.

It's usually possible to find a study somewhere that affirms our expectations... but sampling size and other factors matter. ie... is a 500 sample size significant?
http://www.einstein.yu.edu/centers/a...genes-project/

So, starting with simple logic, check the source and then look to the best acepted standards. Government studies, Wikipedia, CIA Factbook, NIH, and the prominent (in this case) health websites.

Biggest danger is knowing what we know.

Hmmm.. yeah, numbers is hard.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:54 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Here's my personal theory despite having no real professional/scientific background on the matter:

The Spanish Flu of 1914 wiped out the weaklings. 20 million of them in a few months. The survivors went on through the 20th century and created an unusually long lived population coupled to offspring who were similarly robust.

We all know of people (grandparent's era) who smoked, drank and abused themselves but lived to their mid-90s and now parents who are going strong and playing tennis in their 80's.

By the third generation, (Boomers) a more diluted robustness returned through a number of natural genetic degradations --not all, but more people are weaker than others-- at the same time as medical science coupled to healthier living has found ways to off set those weaknesses.

As a result, I wonder if what we view longevity today is merely a fluky remnant of a disastrous 'filter' that occurred 100 years ago as we return to a more diverse set of strong/weak set of population.

Sorry, I don't mean for this to be so black and white --because it isn't--but more of an incomplete set of musings.....(late in the day and after my first Mart)
Old 03-31-2015, 05:31 PM   #54

If you dig a bit, you'll find that just the opposite happened with the Spanish flu...those with the strongest immune system were the ones that died!!
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:19 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
If you dig a bit, you'll find that just the opposite happened with the Spanish flu...those with the strongest immune system were the ones that died!!
Interesting. So the ones with more immunity to flu died from the flu?

Can you steer me to some info on that? I wonder how were they able to measure immune system strength a century ago? I would like to read up on that.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:43 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Scientists Uncover Why Spanish Flu So Deadly

The Spanish Flu was more deadly to people in their middle years, as opposed to children and elderly, further supporting the fact that those with robust immune systems died.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:28 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Scientists Uncover Why Spanish Flu So Deadly

The Spanish Flu was more deadly to people in their middle years, as opposed to children and elderly, further supporting the fact that those with robust immune systems died.
Well, there goes my theory.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:09 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

The longevity inheritance question is interesting in a statistical sense.

But what about real life where I'm only interested in a sample size of one, i.e. me?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:02 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Heh, heh, all this talk of longevity and medical histories, etc. reminds me of a story. DW went to ER with (what turned out to be) acute gastritis. The admitting thought maybe heart attack at first. As they were administering pain meds, they were taking DWs medical history. DOC "Any history of heart disease in your family?" DW (in a frail, voice) "My grandma died of heart failure." DOC "How old was she?" DW (even more frail now due to meds) "94." DOC (mouthing to the nurse) "No heart history." I almost had to leave the room to stifle an otherwise inappropriate laugh.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:42 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
The longevity inheritance question is interesting in a statistical sense.

But what about real life where I'm only interested in a sample size of one, i.e. me?
Some people look at longevity of their ancestors for some hope. Even that is now flaky, according to the expert quoted in the original post.

And then, of course, even if there's some tendency to inherit good health from ancestors, one may just be so unlucky to fall into a 2 or 3-sigma case where statistics do not apply.

We keep reading about people inheriting genes causing predisposition to diseases such as certain cancer. That is very true. So, bad genes can be inherited, but good longevity genes are not? Life can be so cruel, you know?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote