Join Early Retirement Today

Is My Dermatologist a Prude?
Old 02-16-2018, 06:05 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is My Dermatologist a Prude?

I had my dermatologist check for problems. He had me strip to my underwear.

He seemed thorough for most places on my body, but he literally pulled the front of the underwear out, peeked in, and snapped it shut. Couldn't have been more than two seconds. The same for the rear.

Is he a prude, or is that SOP?

Let's see if we can wait until twenty posts before we start with the jokes!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2018, 06:17 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

So, how much sun exposure do you get “down there”?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Did you tell him you frequent the nude beach? Maybe you should have.
Another Reader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:33 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Okay first serious response. lol
He is a prude.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:42 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a precancerous mole removed from one of my cheeks. No sun. Genetics.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:49 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps, in today's environment, he's simply cautious about potential litigation - presuming there was no third party present?

OTOH...maybe it didn't take long to see what was there?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I had my dermatologist check for problems. He had me strip to my underwear.

He seemed thorough for most places on my body, but he literally pulled the front of the underwear out, peeked in, and snapped it shut. Couldn't have been more than two seconds.
Don't complain. Maybe he didn't even need that second second, but he didn't want you to feel embarrassed.

note: looks like Nemo2 and I kind of crossed paths
Old 02-16-2018, 06:52 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Haven't heard something like that since my high school gym class where the gym teacher would take a peek and check to make sure everyone had their jock straps on.

I'd want a dermatologist to take a closer look.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:01 PM   #9

My dermatologist is a lady and she leaves "no stone unturned", so to speak.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
My dermatologist is a lady and she leaves "no stone unturned", so to speak.
Agree, that's not SOP. Skin, by definition is all over, so all over gets looked at. I can appreciate that he may want to spare you the embarrassment, but if that's the case, he should talk to a proctologist. They don't seem to have a problem with it. I imagine an OB/GYN for the ladies would be the same. Frankly, there's not many medical conditions/procedures that don't have some level of embarrassment associated with them.

Maybe the doctor didn't see anything of any concern anywhere else and figured a quick look would suffice. ??
Old 02-16-2018, 07:28 PM   #11

People get skin cancer on areas that are not typically exposed. So... s/he may not be a prude, but they also may/not be as thorough as you'd like.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:22 PM   #12

I've had the same experience; whole body checked but my 'nether' regions with 7 biopsies taken and 3 found to be malignant. Even after the local surgery in her office and subsequent follow-up visits, she never EVER even peaked. Manscaped for nuthin'!
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:38 AM   #13

I went in for a full-body exam last week and had the same experience as Al. She looked me all over and, when we got to my underpants, asked if I had noticed anything down there. I said that I hadn't, but it was fine with me if she needed to look, as I'd rather be sure. She did the same thing as Al's dermatologist - took a very perfunctory peek "down the top" of my underwear, and snapped it back shut in a hurry. There was definitely a fair amount of area in my nether regions that wasn't inspected at all.

If I'd had time to think about it, I could have made some remark to the effect that there are certain areas it's actually quite challenging for me to get a good look at! It's probably better that I didn't, though. Nevertheless, it's true. I know some people probably get a little embarrassed but, to me, it's all about context. In a medical setting, I don't mind where my doctor looks, prods, pokes etc. If it helps the process to be more thorough, I'd prefer it. "Let's do this!" is my attitude.

Anyway, she iced off an SK on my pinkie (the reason I went in), and found a suspicious-looking mole on the back of my leg. I'm going in for a biopsy on it this coming week. Perhaps they have specific criteria that need to be satisfied in order to probe the naughty bits. I think there would have to be some circumstances under which they'd feel the need to do so. I can't imagine they wouldn't "go there" no matter what.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:47 AM   #14

Mine checks me all over. He's considered one of the top dermatologists in the city so that must be SOP.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:53 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

All you guys have dermatologists? I haven’t seen one since I was a teenager...now I’m wondering if I need one!
Tetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:15 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I had an appt scheduled with a lady dermatologist and later found out she required patients to completely undress. I canceled. I wear golf shorts when visiting my current doc and he has me remove my shirt and inspects what he can see. May not be as thorough as the lady doc but I'm fine with it.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:35 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I've gotten the same quick glance. It's easy enough to check my own junk but butt cheeks? No way.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:01 AM   #18
Administrator

Is this really about dermatologists, or is T-Al surrepeticiously researching for a new book?

If it’s the former, my guess is most physicians default to “minimum coverage” because so many people are uncomfortable with total nakedness and close inspection of 100% of the body. If one wants a closer inspection, just wear a thong to the next appointment.

If this is research for a new book, how about transporting a secret formula in a mole sized spot stuck to an area “not usually inspected.” Can he avoid detection? What does that formula do?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:52 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I am with Athena. If I am paying for a head to toe scan, that is what I expect. I would insist. Doctors have seen everything by the time they are out of med school, and they signed up to go on looking at it.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:49 AM   #20

Doctors are coming under increased scrutiny for sexual boundary violations of patients. This used to be swept under the rug by various agencies (including medical boards), but there has been a significant shift in the last decade, so that patient complaints about doctors who violate sexual boundaries are more frequent and taken more seriously (still a long way to go).

Doctors can lose their license because of these complaints. Even a false complaint can badly damage a doctor's reputation. As a result, some physicians are a bit anxious about doing exams of intimate areas -- not because they are prudes, but because they don't want a patient filing a complaint to the medical board. So they become extra-cautious to avoid anything that might make you uncomfortable.

That's one potential explanation, anyhow.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote