Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-11-2019, 09:00 PM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Excellent outcome!
I think so. Thanks!
NoMoreJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2019, 09:12 PM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreJob View Post
I think so. Thanks!
Old 06-12-2019, 04:51 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldConch View Post
JGIII,

Have you considered an F HD plan? Same as a plan G but with a $2300 deductible.

I plugged an Allentown zip into this website and found an F HD plan for less than $50/month and a Part D plan for less than $20.

https://www.ehealthmedicareplans.com/

BTW, this website gives instant quotes based on age and location but doesn't include all available companies.
OldCOnch, thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I have looked at Plan F HD. I don't like the deductible, even though it would lower my premium. My intention at that time, was to go with an AARP UHC Plan N for $97 a month, plus a $17 Plan D. But then the frugality thing got me, and I changed my mind and started thinking about the zero premium MA plans.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:05 AM   #124
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
My intention at that time, was to go with an AARP UHC Plan N for $97 a month, plus a $17 Plan D.
Your first choice is often the best decision. I think that's the case here.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:10 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
OldCOnch, thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I have looked at Plan F HD. I don't like the deductible, even though it would lower my premium.
The F-HD deductible acts more like an out-of-pocket maximum. With F-HD, Medicare still pays 80%. You pay the remaining 20% of the Medicare approved amount until your 20% (and Part B deductible) totals $2300 (2019). Then F-HD starts paying the 20%.

So, with Medicare Advantage you would be paying copays/coinsurance up to the plan's $6k OOPM. With F-HD, you would be paying coinsurance up to the plan's $2300 OOPM but have access to more providers, such as the Arizona Mayo Clinic mentioned above. With F-HD, you also get to select your Part D plan each year instead of being tied to the MA's drug plan.
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:36 AM   #126
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post

I am frugal (some say cheap) in most areas of my life, but health insurance is not one of them. It isn't worth the risk.
I agree. I would gladly give up one or two lattes every week to pay for better health insurance. (I don't actually drink the things, but you get my point.) When I was retiring, my then 80+ friend told me "Chuckanut, whatever you do, make sure you sign up for the best health insurance you can afford." For the first 6 years I paid more than I needed to, but now as I see myself waiting for knee replacement surgery and others my age (and often younger, much younger) go through expensive medical treatment, I'm glad I 'lost' money during those years.

Now, if we could just figure out why medicines and medical procedures cost so much money in the USA and are so much cheaper in other 1st world countries, we might be able to worry less about insurance costs.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote