Join Early Retirement Today

Isolate for non Covid virus?
Old 06-19-2022, 11:52 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Isolate for non Covid virus?

I am just wrapping up seven days or so of an unpleasant virus. I never tested positive for Covid. It started with a nasty sore throat and went right into a five day hacking cough which is just now getting better. I have been home this past week because I did not feel well at all, but I wondered if in the future we will isolate for viruses that are not Covid? I have not yet had Covid and it was very strange to have a non Covid illness. It changes the way you look at everything.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2022, 12:12 PM   #2

I have observed people being much more inclined to stay home when they aren't feeling well rather than to soldier on as normal. I hope this continues. (To be fair, I was one of the soldiers for most of my life...)
MBAustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 12:14 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I avoid visiting family if I have a cold. I don’t want to pass it on.
Old 06-19-2022, 12:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveyoga View Post
I am just wrapping up seven days or so of an unpleasant virus. I never tested positive for Covid. It started with a nasty sore throat and went right into a five day hacking cough which is just now getting better. I have been home this past week because I did not feel well at all, but I wondered if in the future we will isolate for viruses that are not Covid? I have not yet had Covid and it was very strange to have a non Covid illness. It changes the way you look at everything.
Which Covid tests did you take and when? Some of the rapid tests can be unreliable. Get a nucleocapsid antibody test in a few weeks if you want to determine if this was Covid.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 12:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
I have observed people being much more inclined to stay home when they aren't feeling well rather than to soldier on as normal. I hope this continues. (To be fair, I was one of the soldiers for most of my life...)
I have been retired for nine years, but back in the day people routinely came in sick with a cold, cough, fever, stuff that you could take medicine for and get by. I remember a lot of stuff spreading around. Seems silly now.
Old 06-19-2022, 12:43 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have been retired for nine years, but back in the day people routinely came in sick with a cold, cough, fever, stuff that you could take medicine for and get by. I remember a lot of stuff spreading around. Seems silly now.

That older commercial for that temporary agency where the sick worker is told "don't worry, Bob is here!" scared a lot of sick folks into coming in .

But seriously, I am so glad the first time I cam to work sick with a bad cold/flu, my manager took one look at me and sent me home. His line was classic: "don't ever think this company cannot afford you missing a few days to get better".

Since then, if I have a bad cold or virus, I avoid people. In fact, with a virus I really do not feel like being around people, so isolation is easy . Twice during the pandemic I thought I had Covid, doctor tests came back negative, but I still isolated.

I suspect now, with so many similar virus symptoms, more people will try isolate when they have anything.
Old 06-19-2022, 01:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Yes, it's a welcome trend. I couldn't count all the days I went to w*rk with a miserable cold. It was simply expected then. I'm very glad this is changing.
Old 06-19-2022, 01:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Which Covid tests did you take and when? Some of the rapid tests can be unreliable. Get a nucleocapsid antibody test in a few weeks if you want to determine if this was Covid.
I took four at home tests over the space of a week, all negative. I saw two UC doctors who did not think I needed a Covid test based on my symptoms. I was good with saying it was not Covid.
Old 06-19-2022, 03:13 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

It was expected that if you didn’t have a fever, you went into the office. That changed in my department when we hired a guy who was an organ transplant recipient (kidney & pancreas I think). Any minor illness for us was major for him, so we all would take more care when we got sick. It really helped everyone in the end for obvious reasons.
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 04:10 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've had the same sore throat and hacking cough the last 10 days. Had a Covid test and it came up negative. Never lost sense of taste which almost tells me it was the flu.

The problem is that I don't have time to get sick--this time of the year. I'm behind on honey do's, and the wife's due to have surgery soon.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 07:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I've had the same sore throat and hacking cough the last 10 days. Had a Covid test and it came up negative. Never lost sense of taste which almost tells me it was the flu.

The problem is that I don't have time to get sick--this time of the year. I'm behind on honey do's, and the wife's due to have surgery soon.
I hope you feel better soon!

I also have had no voice for three days now, which has been crazy. Thank goodness DH texts.
Old 06-20-2022, 08:43 AM   #12

On day 10 I definitely feel better, lingering cough is better and I got out and walked 2 miles. I was going to go to lunch with three of my GFs and we trying to decide it we should postpone? Still do not have voice.
Old 06-20-2022, 08:51 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I would postpone, as long as you are symptomatic.
Hope you feel better soon.

As a retired public health RN, I appreciate all of you who said you stayed home while ill--Thank you for not spreading germs to others!
I always told my staff to stay home if ill, just bringing germs to work made a bad situation worse.
Old 06-20-2022, 09:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post

As a retired public health RN, I appreciate all of you who said you stayed home while ill--Thank you for not spreading germs to others!
I always told my staff to stay home if ill, just bringing germs to work made a bad situation worse.
We postponed, thanks. I always get that cough that hangs on forever, but hopefully will have my voice back soon.
Old 06-20-2022, 09:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
That older commercial for that temporary agency where the sick worker is told "don't worry, Bob is here!" scared a lot of sick folks into coming in .

But seriously, I am so glad the first time I cam to work sick with a bad cold/flu, my manager took one look at me and sent me home. His line was classic: "don't ever think this company cannot afford you missing a few days to get better".

Since then, if I have a bad cold or virus, I avoid people. In fact, with a virus I really do not feel like being around people, so isolation is easy . Twice during the pandemic I thought I had Covid, doctor tests came back negative, but I still isolated.

I suspect now, with so many similar virus symptoms, more people will try isolate when they have anything.
Based on the behavior of so many people during the past 2+ years I rather doubt that. Even if it starts out that way people will soon get tired of considering isolation. Again based on the behavior of people during the past 2 years. Sad.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 10:06 AM   #16

I hope the trend continues. With so many jobs being able to be done from home, and so many people being prepared to do them that way, it just makes sense.
I know that in my bubble of people we have had very few illnesses of any kind in the last two years.
skyking1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 10:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post

I worked in health and human services for 35 years.
I remember public health nurses promoting staying home when you are sick years ago.
Sadly, I personally didn’t listen but as a boss I would tell staff if you’re sick stay home. The world won’t fall apart. I wanted them to have the permission I wouldn’t give myself.

I’m quite glad I no longer have to choose between going to work or laying on the couch when I’m sick.
Irishgirlyc58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 01:29 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

DH has an autoimmune disease and normally over a years time he will have a couple of colds, a sinus infection, a stomach virus and the flu every other year. For the last 2 and a half years DH has had no illness whatsoever (me neither). So we have learned that to keep him healthy we need to take more precautions. We have been going out in public the last few months but we are wearing KN 94 masks anytime we are indoors in public. We are also very careful about touching things in public and we constantly wash our hands. These things are working.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 03:38 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Don’t you wish the person who gave it to you would have stayed home?
ImaCheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 04:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaCheesehead View Post
Don’t you wish the person who gave it to you would have stayed home?
I have racked my brain trying to think of where I could have picked this up. I don't know of anyone around me that has what I had. But then who knows, right? I definitely hear people coughing now when I am out in public.

And, yes, I wish they would have stayed home and believe me I would have stayed home if I knew.