Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-27-2023, 07:24 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
When I had to renew my drivers license in my mid 60's, I passed the vision test with flying colors without glasses. Now in my early 70's, I see just fine at home or while driving no matter if it's day or night and my night vision seems better today than ever, all without glasses. I talked to my optometrists about what had happen and he told me that it does happen to some people as they age. (he explained how/why).

Anyway, it's "possible" things may get better as you age too. I don't know how common or rare it is but it can/does happen. Best of luck.

Now I wish I could say the same thing about my hearing.

I may be on my way to better vision. My last visit to the optometrist, my contact prescription was changed from + 4.5 and +5.0 to +4.0 in both eyes.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2023, 07:30 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
I may be on my way to better vision. My last visit to the optometrist, my contact prescription was changed from + 4.5 and +5.0 to +4.0 in both eyes.
I have no idea what those numbers mean. (assume it means better ) but I can assure you it happens. Now I'm wondering, how often it happens? In my case, it was dramatic, although it did take many years to go from pretty bad to pretty good.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:39 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, I should follow up with another eye professional. I've also learned that Vitamin B12 (not just Vitamin A) can cause vision issues, day or night.

and I've learned they do make glasses that can be worn alone or over prescription glasses that reduce night time glare.

it's just a quality of life issue for me, because I like to attend night time events....may be a cause for moving into the city where there is better public transport. Gotta think about that.
SunnyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:47 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I have no idea what those numbers mean. (assume it means better ) but I can assure you it happens. Now I'm wondering, how often it happens? In my case, it was dramatic, although it did take many years to go from pretty bad to pretty good.

I wasn't doubting what you said, I was reinforcing it.

"The most usual farsightedness is from +2 to +6 diopters, but sometimes extending to +20,0 diopters. At values +0,25 to +3,0 diopters we speak about slight defect, values +3,25 to +6,0 diopters represent medium farsightedness, from +6,25 to +9,0 diopters we talk about high defect."
From; https://www.neovize.eu/further-eye-t...d-near-vision/
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 03:59 PM   #25

My night vision worsened for years as my early cataracts progressed then finally improved after surgery.
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 04:29 PM   #26

I stopped driving highways or unfamiliar routes at night in my 50s because I felt a real decline in ability to do so. I don't like driving in general and only make trips within my proximity. For distances I use Uber or the bus.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 04:52 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I went through this and learned a couple of things.

First, as we age our pupils do not dilate as much in low light. So it really is darker that it was when we were younger! Nothing to be done about this.

Second, droopy eyelids can compound the problem. My PCP spotted my droopy eyelids and, as it turned out, they were blocking part of my dilated night vision pupils -- making a bad thing worse. He sent me off to the eyelid-fixing surgeon and my night vision was noticeably improved.

I could see my eyelid droop problem simply by looking in a mirror in somewhat low light conditions and noting the the pupils were partially covered by the eyelids.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:10 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I also have a hard time driving at night. If its a two way street and a car approaches on the other side with its lights on, it blinds me and the street seems to be in total darkness. I only drive at night , if nescessary, with my wife so she can help me. My eye doctor (an Opthomologist) says it due to cataracts which will eventually needed to be operated on. I use uber now at nightime.
jesaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 11:04 AM   #29

Had LASIK nearly 20 years ago.

But it's only been the last few years that have been issues with driving at night.

My depth perception seems negatively affected, glare increasingly noticeable.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 09:32 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyOne View Post
I noticed when I approached 60, that I started to drive less and less at night - just felt the darkness compromised my eyesight.

It wasn't so much a problem at low speeds, street driving - but on interstates where I needed to look much farther ahead.

I went to two different optometrists and asked them to check my distance vision - they both agreed I only need a slight correction for distance - so I keep those glasses in the car for night driving -

but I feel as if something else is going on - let me back up - both optometrists agreed that I don't have cataracts or evidence of eye disease - and my Vitamin A level is good...
I just feel it's more than a distance vision problem.

Can anyone else relate? What do you do for it, if anything?
You need to see an ophthalmalogist as soon as possible.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 11:30 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Regarding an urgent appointment with an opthalmalogist - I've done further research which seems to indicate that reduced night vision is a symptom of aging?

Does everyone over the age of 60(?) need an appointment to have this investigated even if they notice no other eyesight issues? (only reduction with high speed driving on highways without street lights) - Should this be like colonoscopies and other routine screening?
Old 03-30-2023, 11:39 AM   #32

I haven't noticed any significant decrease in my night vision, and I'm in my 70s. But I will note that cataracts develop very slowly, and your issue may just be that it's in the early stages.

When I started to notice a bit of dimming, I asked my ophthalmologist if I had a cataract. He said "Just the very beginning of it, but nothing to worry about now. Ask me again in five years."
I did so, and at that time he said "A few more years yet."
I finally had the surgery and it made a world of difference. Sharper vision, brighter and more vibrant colors, the whole schmear.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:40 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Regarding an urgent appointment with an opthalmalogist - I've done further research which seems to indicate that reduced night vision is a symptom of aging?
Yes, as I mentioned above; our pupils just can't dilate as much as we age. I think it is more or less the same problem where less lens flexibility puts us in the reading glasses camp and, maybe, our loss of high frequencies in our hearing. Old body parts stiffening up.

Quote:
Does everyone over the age of 60(?) need an appointment to have this investigated even if they notice no other eyesight issues? (only reduction with high speed driving on highways without street lights) - Should this be like colonoscopies and other routine screening?
There are many possible eye conditions that can afflict us as we age, including glaucoma and macular degeration. IMO it is very worthwhile for you to see a good ophthalmologist at least once to be screened for any problems or potential problems before they become serious. You can ask about night vision at that time too. Re routine screening, I see my ophthalmologist every six months for a checkup as I do have very slowly moving macular degeneration. Your ophthalmologist can tell you how frequently you should be coming in for checks.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:41 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you
Old 03-31-2023, 07:21 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

My night vision is not very good either, hasn't been for years.
Beginnings of cataracts and also have glaucoma.
Neither DH or I like driving at night and try to avoid if possible.
Old 03-31-2023, 07:33 AM   #36

Quote:

Indeed aging is a factor, six muscles in the eye and they aren't what they used to be....

However, you should get your eyes checked regularly for signs of cataracts or possible glaucoma. Both could also be a reason for poor night vision, so get it checked out to be sure.

From my experience, I had night vision issues due to cataracts, happens so slowly that you really don't notice the change. But after having surgery on my eyes to correct what a night (no pun intended) and day difference. Prior to surgery I thought everything during the day looked fine, but I could tell the difference immediately after the surgery.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 07:57 AM   #37

I had cataract surgery on both eyes in Feb. 2023. Everything is brighter. I'm not sure if night driving is what it's supposed to be and I'm not used to it yet. I'm experimenting with sunglasses at night. I can still read and see the very small print on the signs read license plates and street signs at a distance. This is amazing to me b/c even with glasses these things were somewhat blurry. It seems I'm getting used to the night glare.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 05:50 PM   #38

I am 66 years old and I am very near sighted. Dry eyes also.

I actually started to have trouble driving at night years ago and I don’t feel comfortable with it and avoid it if I can. I think my husband (who is far sighted) also has trouble but won’t admit it.

We still will go out at night, but not often and I can see this becoming a more difficult situation as time goes on. Thank goodness we’re not night people anyway, but sometimes that’s when events and social engagements and meetings are going on.

I agree that glare on highways is really tough, but also pitch black back roads.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 06:02 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Our running group is mostly 60ish to 70ish folk. The running joke is that any male nursing home resident that can drive at night has got it made. He's the guy all the female residents are looking for!
steveark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 07:24 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Before you commit to LASIK ask about its impact on cataract surgery. My eye surgeon said cataract surgery can still be done but it can complicate the surgery. (She was happy I've never had LASIK because I now need cataract surgery.)

From one site:

Cataract Surgery Following LASIK Surgery

The modern equipment used by takes very accurate measurements of the eyes, even many years after having undergone LASIK surgery. However, it is still highly recommended for those who have had LASIK surgery to provide the surgeon with all previous eye health records so that the appropriate lens implant be used for cataract surgery. If you do not already have them, you can request these records from the doctor who performed your LASIK surgery. If obtaining these records is not possible, cataract surgery can still be an option, though the postoperative refractive error may not be as predictable.
NXR7 is offline   Reply With Quote